AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 15 looking for my first real stereo system. I have a budget of around $150. Right now Ive been looking at the Yamaha NS-6490 speakers accompanied by a Lepai 2.1 amp so I can add a sub later on. Im also going to get a proper stereo reciever later on. Can anyone reccomend me something else worth looking at?

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
I would start with a pair of Pioneer BS22: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-SP-BS22-LR-Designed-Bookshelf-Loudspeakers/dp/B008NCD2LG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395872187&sr=8-1&keywords=bs22

And then save up $30 more and get this receiver: http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/denavr1513/denon-avr-1513-5.1ch-home-theater-receiver-3d-ready/1.html

This lets you expand in the future, add a sub woofer, connect different kinds of sources, and has enough power to crank up the Pioneers. Those little t-amps work well in nearfield, but if you want to fill a bedroom with music for example, they can struggle with less efficient speakers. Those Pioneers are probably the best bang for the buck speakers right now, and are a great starting point.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are there any other speakers that are worth the money and fit the budget. I know audio equipment doesnt revolve around aesthetics, but I cant imagine myself looking at those speakers every day. My best way to describe them is "prettier than a rats a** but still uglier than ****. Are the Sony BS-1100 any good? Thanks though They just dont appeal to me and I would not by any means want to see those in my room...EVER.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
You don't have a lot of options because appearance isn't the first priority with budget speakers. Maybe try the JBL ES20, but then you need to drop down to the Lepai amp.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by qguy  /t/1524430/stereo-system-for-newbie/0_100#post_24534523

I would look for used speakers and Integrated amplifiers on Craigslist

this. also check out your local goodwill and thrift shops. sometime hidden gems can be found very cheap. garage sales are also another good place to find good used cheap stuff.

·
Registered
6,814 Posts
Yeah that is probably the best course of action as long as you do so with a parent. You can probably find a used receiver from Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, or Pioneer, and then a decent pair of bookshelves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts