AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of getting music out to the backyard and pool and need a little help. I have placed 12 Dayton rock speakers and run the direct burial wires. I have all speakers connected to a Monster SS-6 speaker switcher. I was ready to order a Onkyo TX-8522 stereo receiver but noticed there is not a mono/stereo switch. It would seem to me I would need to play music in MONO to make everything sound right. I'm I correct or would it sound OK in stereo with 12 speakers in various locations? If I'm correct any suggestions to make this work? Different receiver suggestions in the $200-$250 range?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,023 Posts
LOL !!


The title of this thread reminds me when I went to CES one year out of many, and wore a pin that said, "Back to Mono", just to see the reaction I'd get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
353 Posts
I have similar problem. I have a single recessed wall mounted speaker in our bathroom. I would like to down mix it to mono (currently I just have it on the right channel on an old 2 ch receiver,which sounds ok but is not ideal) there must be a simple way to do this...Right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,837 Posts
If "stereo" is not important, then IMO, you should investigate a commercial amplification system. You can't just hook up 12 speakers and expect a "stereo" receiver's amp to drive all 12 speakers simultaneously.


If you're only going to run 2 or maybe 4 at a time, that may be okay. So, if that's the case, I'd suggest you look for a receiver with a "stereo/mono" switch or other anternatives.


Just my opinion...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/14166303


If "stereo" is not important, then IMO, you should investigate a commercial amplification system. You can't just hook up 12 speakers and expect a "stereo" receiver's amp to drive all 12 speakers simultaneously.


If you're only going to run 2 or maybe 4 at a time, that may be okay. So, if that's the case, I'd suggest you look for a receiver with a "stereo/mono" switch or other anternatives.


Just my opinion...

Ratman, thanks for the quick response. I thought by running the speakers through the Monster Cable Speaker Selector I would be ok (See Below).

"With the Monster Cable Speaker Selector, you can enjoy the convenience and flexibility of listening up to six speaker pairs at a time, in any location. With Monster's advanced Amplifier Protection circuitry, you'll have the comfort of knowing your amplifier is delivering maximum power and performance. When engaged, this impedance matched circuitry maximizes high power amplifier performance and allows you to safely use up to six speaker pairs simultaneously without overloading or damaging your amplifier. The Monster Cable Speaker Selector features high quality materials for maximum reliability and durability, Non - inductive 50 watt resistors with aluminum finned heat sinks are specially designed to deliver peak power from even mega-powerful amplifiers - up to 150 watts per channel . These precision - crafted resistors improve frequency response, so you'll enjoy fuller, more three dimensional music reproduction. And, all the connections to the circuit board are completely wired with high performance Monster Cable for the best possible sound."


What do you think?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,155 Posts
Wiring 6 speakers in parallel/series configuration is the way to go. If all speakers are 8 ohms, then for each pair that are wired in parallel represents a 4 ohm load to the receiver.

So with 12 speakers, 6 per each side of the receiver, in a parallel, series, parallel, series, parallel config, the result is a 12 ohm load.

Many speakers, years ago used to be 16 ohm loads. So a receiver rated to drive 8 ohm speakers, 12 ohms is not a problem. A nominal 12 ohm load would probably be only around 8 ohms at certain frequencies.

So the only advantage for using the monster box would be to be able to change the number of speakers you might want to play at any time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ21XDC /forum/post/14166863


What do you think?

Yeah... I didn't look up the "specs" of the Mon$ter switch, but it appears that it should work well for your needs.


It still doesn't really help you with the "stereo/mono" issue though.



All I can say is, run 6 off the left and 6 off the right and try to place the "pairs" as best as you can for stereo in each of your areas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4DHD /forum/post/14167069


Wiring 6 speakers in parallel/series configuration is the way to go. If all speakers are 8 ohms, then for each pair that are wired in parallel represents a 4 ohm load to the receiver.

So with 12 speakers, 6 per each side of the receiver, in a parallel, series, parallel, series, parallel config, the result is a 12 ohm load.

Many speakers, years ago used to be 16 ohm loads. So a receiver rated to drive 8 ohm speakers, 12 ohms is not a problem. A nominal 12 ohm load would probably be only around 8 ohms at certain frequencies.

So the only advantage for using the monster box would be to be able to change the number of speakers you might want to play at any time.

4DHD, thanks this is very helpful although I wish I had known this before I ran 1000 feet of wire
. Do you think what I have now will work or should I start over now? If you do think the monster switcher will work any ideas on the stereo to mono thing?

Thanks,

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/14167543



All I can say is, run 6 off the left and 6 off the right and try to place the "pairs" as best as you can for stereo in each of your areas.

That's kind of what I was thinking but not sure I will be able to make it work. I might have to look for an older receiver with a mono switch.


I just had a thought--what about a 5 channel receiver set on mono -- put the speakers around the top patio on the front channels and run the rest of the speakers through the switcher on the surround channels?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,125 Posts
Whoa, whoa, whoa he'll end up killing the Amplifiers with a murderous impendence; he might as well be strangling the cat.



I would plan this out ether buy a cluster of new or second-hand amplifiers of the same make and model decide and design the type of max level you want in the back garden and set out with newer loudspeakers and run system in mono or design the layout of loudspeakers in circle around the garden.


You may what 4 or 6 or 8 if the amplifiers don't have mono stereo switch then pass the signal into stereo audio mixer and select it for monaural output.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ21XDC /forum/post/14167706


That's kind of what I was thinking but not sure I will be able to make it work. I might have to look for an older receiver with a mono switch.


I just had a thought--what about a 5 channel receiver set on mono -- put the speakers around the top patio on the front channels and run the rest of the speakers through the switcher on the surround channels?

There is no reason you can't use a 6/7 channel receiver. When I play music off my c-band receiver (music choice channels) I set the receiver to 7-channel stereo. Sounds great.

So then you'd have two speakers per channel. If two speakers are wired in parallel to each channel you'd be placing a 4 ohm load to each channel amp.


Lets say you have 6 speakers on one side of the pool and the other 6 on the other side, then all the speakers on one side would be left channel and the rest would be right channels.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,837 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/14167997


Whoa, whoa, whoa he’ll end up killing the Amplifiers with a murderous impendence; he might as well be strangling the cat.

Whoa, whoa whoa... read Post #5 again! The switch supposedly takes care of the potential impedance (or as one says in the UK... "impendence") issues. Stangling the cat? More like spanking the monkey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBLsound4645 /forum/post/14167997


Whoa, whoa, whoa he'll end up killing the Amplifiers with a murderous impendence; he might as well be strangling the cat.



I would plan this out ether buy a cluster of new or second-hand amplifiers of the same make and model decide and design the type of max level you want in the back garden and set out with newer loudspeakers and run system in mono or design the layout of loudspeakers in circle around the garden.


You may what 4 or 6 or 8 if the amplifiers don't have mono stereo switch then pass the signal into stereo audio mixer and select it for monaural output.

First off, he didn't say what size wire he buried, if its large enough, not a problem. And then there is the receiver, if its designed to run 4 ohms loads, not a problem,
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman /forum/post/14168151


Whoa, whoa whoa... read Post #5 again! The switch supposedly takes care of the potential impedance (or as one says in the UK... "impendence") issues. Stangling the cat? More like spanking the monkey.

I don’t know about spanking the monkey mate, haven’t done that in several days now. LOL
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,946 Posts
The speaker selector thing you have hooked up will be fine as it seems to be an impedance-matching switcher. It's possible there may have been a better/easier way like a constant voltage (70-volt) system, but since this is what you have done, I'd use it as-is.


For your mono conversion, something like this could be put into the Tape 2 monitor loop. If you were handy you could make your own stereo to mono converter, but sometimes it's just easier in the long run to buy something.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
First of all thanks to everyone who has responded. I temporarily hooked everything up to an old Sony receiver with a stereo/mono switch I had downstairs. I guess I have the speakers spread out far enough because I could not hear a huge difference in sound from stereo to mono. So that might not be such a big deal. I really had to turn the receiver up to get the appropriate sound with switchers protective switch on. I let it play for about 10 minutes and checked the amps and heat sink with a infra-ray thermometer. The temperatures ran from 110 to 158 degrees depending on the volume.

Do you guys think this is too high and will it cause problems down the road?


I'm really thinking about a 7 channel receiver (Onkyo TX-SR 575) and taking the switcher out of the system. If I have this right, I should be able to run two speakers wired in parallel to each channel and set the the receiver to mono? If this is correct will it be easier on the receiver and sound better?


Thanks again for all the help.


Steve
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top