AVS Forum banner
  • If you've ever wanted to ask questions on industry standards when setting up your home theater, you're in luck! Peter Aylett, 30 year integrator and partner at HTE Acoustic Interior Design will be answering questions until Sun. Nov. 28th! The thread is now open, and you can join in here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have this Scott 428A amplifier and its says stereo sound on it. It can power only 4 speakers. Im not sure how old this model is but the sound is great. I want to make this amplifier to do surround sound instead of stereo. When i play on my Xbox 360, the sounds only come from 2 sides only, left and right. I want it to make it sound from front left, and right, rear right, and left.
is there any decoders that can process stereo to surround sound?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Dolby Prologic II was developed to do surround from stereo but keep in mind that true surround involves a center channel not just two fronts and two rears. Can't hurt to try it. Some receivers can create a phantom center channel. Will probably need to change the audio settings on the xbox as well.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
So i have this Scott 428A amplifier and its says stereo sound on it. It can power only 4 speakers. Im not sure how old this model is but the sound is great. I want to make this amplifier to do surround sound instead of stereo. When i play on my Xbox 360, the sounds only come from 2 sides only, left and right. I want it to make it sound from front left, and right, rear right, and left.
Your Scott is two-channel stereo only.

There haven't been any analog stereo to surround processors in years, but even if you had one you're at least 2 or 3 channels of amplifier short.

If you want to try a simple passive approach, try the sketch attached. It will suffer from very poor separation, but if you play a matrix-encoded soundtrack you will recover the surround track that way, and some stereo material will have ambience in the rear speakers. It's a very poor way to do it, especially given today's options.

Attachments

·
Registered
494 Posts
Maybe.

But, the Scott amp probably doesn't have the capacity to receive 4 channels from such a "decoder".

·
Registered
673 Posts
I got into surround sound by adding a Yamaha processor (DSP-E200) to my stereo amp. The Yammie had the amps for the surround and center channels. You fed the stereo line-level outputs to the Yammie, which extracted the surround and center channels. You had to set delay manually. There was a Dolby Pro-logic setting, as well as a few other modes. It served me well until DD came out and I moved into an AVR. PM me if you have any interest, I won't ask much for it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Get a AVR. Use the L/R pre-outs from the AVR into your Scott. Plug in center, sub and rears to the AVR.
If the OP had an A/VR, what need would there be for the Scott?

Didn't he/she intend to use the Scott in lieu of an A/VR?

Reactions: ellisr63

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
If the OP had an A/VR, what need would there be for the Scott?

Didn't he/she intend to use the Scott in lieu of an A/VR?
Exactly. The Scott was obtained inexpensively, that seems to be the goal here. No AVR would be as cheap, though a much better choice. Even a 5 year old entry-level AVR would do a better job, just not as cheap.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I already have a receiver which is being used with a 5.1 setup in my living room. I want to use my Scott amplifier on my sons room because he mostly plays on the living room. and my AVR doesnt have any preouts
Not a gamer, but the 5.1 system I have is used strictly as a 2-channel "multi" stereo (for 2.0 music, primarily).

I suggest you use the Scott in a similar manner.

·
Registered
553 Posts
You might see if there is a small processor that implements Dolby Virtual Speaker, which attempts to simulate the effect of a surround system with only two channels of output. This is the technology used in many sound bars. It is not great - but if you only have two channels of output...

Something like this, perhaps?
http://www.amazon.com/Xantech-VDA51...014360&sr=8-30&keywords=dolby+virtual+speaker

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You might see if there is a small processor that implements Dolby Virtual Speaker, which attempts to simulate the effect of a surround system with only two channels of output. This is the technology used in many sound bars. It is not great - but if you only have two channels of output...

Something like this, perhaps?
http://www.amazon.com/Xantech-VDA51...014360&sr=8-30&keywords=dolby+virtual+speaker
ill consider that. But how im i going to install that? im not a audio proffesional guy.

·
Registered
553 Posts
There is not much to install - but given that the digital out on the XBOX 360 is optical and the input on this unit is Coax, you'd need to get an optical to coax converter too. Not an issue...they are pretty inexpensive.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Bi-dir...ds=optical+to+coaxial+digital+audio+converter

You will also need a Toslink cable, a coax cable, and a stereo patch cable (RCA connectors).

XBOX Optical Out --> Converter Optical In
Converter Coax Out --> Xantech Coax In
Xantech Analog Stereo Out --> Scott Stereo In

Provide power to the converter and the Xantech and then go.
You can play with the switch on the Xantech to tweak the sound/width to tune it.

Here is a link to the manual for the xantech if you are curious about more details:
http://www.xantech.com/files/manuals/551_VDA51.pdf

and here is the manufacturers product page...
http://www.xantech.com/Video/HighDefinition/HDVideoAudioDistrib/VDA51/

(I don't own any of this stuff - I just googled around a bit).

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
There are various ways to get simulated surround or jury-rig something together that might sort of work, but seriously. This is like trying to make the AM radio in your '69 Ford give you turn-by-turn navigation. You can do it, if you add enough extra hardware, but it still won't really be what you want.

The multichannel audio in modern video games is there for a reason. Audio cues are directional, very specifically, and provide cues for where in the 360-degree game world things are happening. This can only work when you are properly decoding the discrete multichannel audio contained in the game and sent out via the console's HDMI or digital audio ports.

You need a proper decoder for that signal; you need a separate amplifier channel for each discrete audio channel, and you need at least four speakers, preferably five plus a subwoofer.

Anything less may give you a surround effect, but it won't be the actual surround-sound feature that is baked into the games.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.