AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stereophile Guide--useless??

463 views 28 replies 19 participants last post by  Tom Strade 
#1 ·
Charlies,

What you are discovering is how good the AVS forum is which then makes SGHT seem like a waste a paper. I have been subscribing to SGHT since the first issue and I have decided to let my current subscription run out. Ever since I joined this forum, every article I read has a feeling of "been there - done that - tell me something I don't know"

The publishing schedule also means that their articles are written about 2 months before they appear on the newstands. And in terms of "internet time" that may as well be 1 year.

I really like the whole "home theater architect series" but it seems to have lost focus at times, and is turtle slow.

------------------

All the best,

Ricardo
Sony KP-xxHS10 Zone

[This message has been edited by RicardoD (edited 09-20-2001).]

See less See more
#3 ·
No magazine can compete with AVS Forum. Where else are you going to find so many real-world users who are so technically savvy, articulate and willing to share?

I would not have even dreamed of venturing into FPTV without the support of this group. There's two big reasons why AVS Forum is top dog in HT:

1. Our hosts at AVS. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

2. The rest of you HT-natics! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Dan

#4 ·
I really hate to break this to you, but mainstream "home theater" is still a bigscreen NTSC TV and little tiny plastic box speakers - probably in stereo. Also, it has only been in the past 12 months that DVD video went mainstream, I was marvelling at how many folks were sucking up VHS movies at Costco the other day.

Most high-end A/V stores are pushing humongous CRT projectors to the rare high-end customer, and their "technical" people are prepared to talk about the improvements you get from using oxygen-free, silver alloy, braided and gold-plated power cords, but many are not PC-literate.

Anyone who would take a projector intended for business presentations, and hook it to a high-end custom desktop PC with a DVD-ROM drive and perhaps an HDTV tuner card, is a dangerous and deranged technical nerd. Why, the very idea is ridiculous, and worst of all, seriously deficient in profit potential in an industry where revenues usually result from semi-technical folks convincing abysmally ignorant consumers that as long as you pay big bucks for a piece of gear, it looks and sounds better than something that costs somewhat less.

As one nerd to another, I appreciate how far we have come with this hobby in a very short time - but by my estimate, 50% or more of our Forum membership still use conventional video components like standalone DVD players to drive RPTVs and front projectors. Some of these folks even understand that they are settling for second-rate video performance, but they believe (and are completely correct) they are better off using standard A/V gear, as Windows and computers are still rightfully regarded with distrust by many.

I have worked in the computer industry for over 25 years, but every time a new software bug rears it's head on my HTPC, even I think impure thoughts like "maybe I'll just pop the disc in the standalone player".

Gary

#6 ·
It is interesting that I am finally considering buying a cheap standalone DVD player for only one use: to feed the AVIA calibration tools through the S-video jack of my capture card in my home theater PC, to help calibrate my DScaler deinterlacer. I would never even dream of playing a movie DVD through the standalone player! The home theater PC output with software decoding is absolutely gorgeous through the VGA jack to my Plus UP-1100 projector on a 95" diagonal screen. And yes, the HiPix HDTV card also gives outstanding results. It is scary to be a home theater nerd, isn't it! The best part of all is that no one else in the family knows how to turn everything on and get a picture, except me! Well, on second thought, maybe that isn't a "best part". If the nerd should happen to die, there will be a yard sale of all of the state of the art equipment because no one else knows how to use it...

#8 ·
Charlies - you ask "if the LT150 is better than the Sharp at 30% of the price, why don't they review it".

Simple answer - advertising dollars. Go to any issue of SGHT. Look at who is buying the full page ads - Runco, Seleco, Yamaha, Marantz... The magazine is dependant on this advertising revenue.

The magazine has no interest in pointing out to its readers that they could obtain a very enjoyable home theater experience for one-third the cost of the projectors "manufactured" by their advertisers.

You will NEVER see a review of the LT150 in SGHT http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Reed.

#11 ·
Jeff,

them's fightin' words http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

and I'm sure someone more qualified than I will rise to the challenge... But to be sure... The LT 150 is a fantastic "bargin" for HT nuts that want a FP at a very reasonable price... It might not be "the Best" but as a price/performance piece, I'm sure you'll be hard pressed to beat it! WRT the Plus Piano I don't believe that it supports 480P ( It is reputed to have an excellent scaler though!)

Miles

------------------

My System Config

#12 ·
I guess due to cost cutting pressures both HT Magazine and SGHT, which share ownership, reviewed the same two projectors. How imaginative!!

------------------

cai

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by charlies:
My question still stands-Is the lt150 "better" then the sharp 100 at 30% of th price. And if it is why dont SGHT review it.
The LT150 is a terrific value, but it is in no way better than the Sharp.

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jonmx:
The LT150 is a terrific value, but it is in no way better than the Sharp.
I don't know which is the better projector, never having seen either of them. But that statement seems a bit extreme. I still haven't seen any LCD that has better black level or contrast than even a middling DLP projector. For people who place a premium on black level and contrast, I could easily understand that someone might think the LT150 is an as good or better projector.

#16 ·
Charlies will be able to confirm, but my guess is that the reason the "better" in his statement is in quotation marks is because he considers the lower price to be one of the factors of the comparison.

hsitz' post kinda confused me. The SGHT article was on the Sharp Z9000, which is a dlp projector with apparently very good black levels. I am not sure what the Sharp 100 is. I am wondering if others are not also confused about which Sharp projector is being dicscussed here.

------------------

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

#17 ·
Jeffy,

I have seen the Plus Piano and was not impressed. It has good color and contrast, but is not bright, and does not support HDTV signals.

Even at the same price, the NEC LT150 is a much better piece of equipment.

charles (original topic):

Machines like the NEC LT150 and the Infocus LP530 obtain a lot of their interest from the fact that they represent such good values. Part of the reason they are good values is that they are designed for the presentation marketplace, which is much more price sensitive, but happen to be good crossover machines.

HT machines like Seleco and Sharp 9000z are objectively better than the LT150 and Infocus machines, but cost a lot more. Whether they are worth the difference is for each customer to decide for him/herself; I certainly don't think that they are.

At the present, the HT market is so small compared to the presentation market that pricing for HT machines must be high. Advertising and showroom costs add to this differential.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ggolamco:
hsitz' post kinda confused me. The SGHT article was on the Sharp Z9000, which is a dlp projector with apparently very good black levels. I am not sure what the Sharp 100 is. I am wondering if others are not also confused about which Sharp projector is being dicscussed here.
Hmmm, I haven't seen the SGHT article and I've never heard of the Sharp Z9000.

I was responding to the question that some others were discussing in this thread, "is the LT150 better then the sony10 or sharp100 -those are [SGHT's] selected pjs for this year?"

The Sharp 100 is an XGA LCD that's an excellent projector that's been popular with some forum members. I believe the full model specification is 'SharpVision XV-DW100U'.

[This message has been edited by hsitz (edited 09-20-2001).]

#19 ·
The main point of this thread is not just about the LT150 but about whether SGHT is in fact relatively useless. I would say it is. It makes me wonder why SGHT is so highley regarded.

IMHO AVS Forum should consider starting a magazine utilising the resources of this forum to provide more upto date information. Obviously SGHT is not on the ball (ie not knowing about the chroma bug, not covering LT150 et al,nothing on the RP91 , RP56 DVD players)

#20 ·
Not that I am a SGHT maven but lets face it, you LT 150 people bought the one of the cheapest DLP available and feel good when it outperforms another cheapy (e.g. Sharp.

I'm not criticizing you but am trying to make a larger point.

It's all relative. I think it is important for such magazines to review a preponderance of state of the art equipment so that us HT nuts know what can be acheived and are knowlegeable enough to look for those qualities in lesser products.

Also, reviewers are supposed to be unbiased (or as little biased as possible). When anyone plunks down their hard earned money for a product (such as us here on AVS forum), they are more than likely to review it favorably.

Reviewers don't pay for review items with there own money, they borrow them. Granted there are other factors that may corrupt the reviewer (e.g. favorable review = more ad revenue), but we as readers must weigh this and other related factors as we read their reviews.

Eventually, you get to know a reviewer after reading him for many years and tens or hundreds of reviews. You get to know their biases and what excites them. Then, their reviews become even more useful.

Remember, most of us don't have manufacturers sending us a new peice of equipment each month to throw in our review sytem. Granted there is an element of trust with these reviews but after you read them , you like and trust some (e.g. Mike Fremer) and distrust others (Robert Harley).

Who would trust a review of anyone who has lived with only one projector (that they paid for themselves), unless it is state of the art (G 90, for example).

We here at AVS try to help each other out but most of us are inherently biased by what we own (c'mon admit it). Where else can you buy a relatively esoteric, inexpensive projector and have 50 others (who also own it) tell you you've got the best for the money??????????

We'd all like a state of the art reference system but it is typically way out of financial reach. Many times its that false positive reinforcement (that oozes here) that makes a mediochre piece of equipment seem like a reference product.

Maybe that's a good thing..........

Jeff

#21 ·
I always used to thing SGHT was an expert guide to Home Theater but in this current issue one columnist has suddenly discovered the existence of the chroma bug. In addition they never comment on the LT150 etc. and concentrate on the more expensive but seemingly less good mainstream HT projectors. What's up?

#22 ·
Guys, thank you for all your kind words.

Did any one consider that SGHT hasn't covered the NEC DLP unit because it is not marketed to the residential marketplace? It is hard enough covering our market; and even tougher getting demo samples from manufacturers afraid of getting a bad review.

Charlies, your problems are deep-seeded and difficult to address. Until you walk in my shoes, do not criticize the life I lead.

I never even mentioned the chroma bug in the Seleco DM review. The horizontal lines I witnessed were in the Snell & Wilcox moving zone plate and gray fields in Video Essentials. As soon as anyone can explain to me how a chroma issue can affect the black and white portion of an image, I will write the correction in print. And I will have learned something.

Cai, your comments were unique and insightful as well. Simply because Yamaha's PR firm aggressively sent out demo units, we are having cost-cutting pressures? Give me a break. Did you even notice that the Seleco projectors were two different models?

As for our relationship with Home Theater magazine; even though we share office space in Los Angeles, I hardly see anyone from there...let alone discuss our work. Other than the twelfth floor, and the photography studio storage room, we don't share anything...except perhaps for their Photo Research color analyzer. I do talk with them socially, they are good people working hard to do the best job they can. But I'm not about to let them know what pieces I'm working on, or any particular story angles.

We are concerned when they get products the same time as us. By editorial choice, our product analysis takes longer than theirs; we live with the unit in our reference system for usually over a month before a review is penned. If I had written a quick analysis of the DM projector; before I discovered that aggressive sharpness control or that de-focus tweak; it would have been incomplete and inaccurate. I would have provided no service to our readers and a disservice to Seleco. And yes, I do see it as a service.

As for advertising affecting editorial...in a year and four months, I can count on both hands the number of times I've even noticed who advertises in our magazine. Each issue is out of our hands before the ads are even placed, and when I'm reading a finished issue...I'm too busy checking our editing, so I can make sure I learn how to do that better.

I am called upon by our advertising salespeople to visit booths during trade shows, but that is PR work. I like to meet the people behind these interesting products; they are doing an unbelievable job in the midst of pressures unheard of; with the increased speed of technology and information, they operate under extreme duress to research, develope, package, market, and deliver products in ever decreasing time spans. I am amazed at them.

The internet is an interesting arena for ideas and experiences, but there is no check or balance for incorrect facts. E-words here on the forum are easy to post, and easy to correct—if an inaccuracy doesn’t just devolve into some pissing match. Words committed to print have an entirely different life span altogether. We do the best we can to be accurate and accountable to both readers and manufacturers alike.

There are many folks who know me on this forum; and will attest to my character, and my desire to help increase the quality of this entire home entertainment electronics industry...so we all get better at it and enjoy it more. I am always available via this e-mail address, or through letters to the magazine. You are all welcome to submit thoughtful questions, real complaints, and hopefully even an encouragement when we get something right.

Plus, a wise man once said something about casting stones...you might want to look it up.

Sincerely,

John Gannon

#23 ·
SGHT (and TPV) are the best HT mags in the world. Period.

You guys dont know how lucky you are. If I sent you some of our U.K. publications you would be dumbstruck.

Our best monthly is Home Cinema Choice, who, to be fair are trying very hard of late. HCC are steadily improving, month by month.

They seem to be aware of the fact that they have some way to go before they reach the excellence of SGHT and TPV but thats what makes them honest and it gives me hope that one day they can reach these heights.

I've been a subscriber to SGHT for many years and believe that JG is probably one of the top half dozen reviewers on the planet.

Indeed, if I'm not mistaken, Mr Gannon also had something to do with Steve B's Dwin CRT calibration.

So in fact, this man not only talks but DOES.

I find it strange (and read about it often) that because somebodys fave bit of kit has not been reviewed they must be rubbish.

How is that?.......Magazines cannot review every single piece of equipement on the face of the earth. Its impossible. Thats why forums like AVS are around so that we can discuss gear that is perhaps not seen as relevent by HT mags or things that have been missed.

Enjoy and Appreciate SGHT, or I'll send you a UK mag. Thats a promise not a threat.

Eric

[This message has been edited by uncle eric (edited 09-22-2001).]

#24 ·
Uncle Eric,

Am I up late, or are you up early...and this a Saturday.

Thank you for your kind words. I just fell out of my seat.

Are you saying I could have a future where the Guinness is fresher?!!

John

#25 ·
Dear Gannon

I think you misunderstand my criticism-it was in no way personal. And you were right I mistated my facts. The chroma bug error was in the Denon DVD 2800 review. However the fact that a review like that appears in SGHT is worrying.

I started getting into Home theater because of SGHT. And it is cetainly the best mag out there. I get the feeling that the reviewers actually care a little about their readers. But unfortunately it may be the best of a bad bunch.

There is no excuse not to cover a product like the LT150 just because it is designated for the office market. It shows a lack of imagination. If a projector costing $2000 can do a better or similar job then one costing $10000 it is your duty to cover it and you would be invaluable if you did.You may not have noticed but we are heading into a big recession and most people will not have the inclination to drop 10 grand on a pj.People here do not want to buy crap but they certainly would prefer to save their money if possible.

BTW I do not feel I am in a glass house and I will throw stones to my hearts content.

Yours

Charlie s

#26 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by charlies:
. It shows a lack of imagination. If a projector costing $2000 can do a better or similar job then one costing $10000 it is your duty to cover it and you would be invaluable if you did.
Where can you buy a LT150 for £2000? and which projectors costing $10'000 does it equal or beat?

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.