Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I live in Sterling, VA (right off Church Rd). I am planning to buy the 60'' Sony XBR TV and would like to make sure that it is worth the extra $1500 vs the GWIII. Have you yet used/setup the built-in HDTV tuner for receiving broadcasts yet? If yes, how was the experience? I am planning to buy the TV and am wondering the use of the tuner. If you are using the tuner,

1. Which city are u from?

2. How is the reception/clarity of the channels?

3. How did you install it?

4. Can I get away with an indoor antenna?

5. If installed in attic, how can I run cables to my basement?

The above info shall help me make the decision. I am wondering how well it shall work in this area and also how difficult would it be to set it up myself.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is there really no one is this area that subscriibes to the HDTV?? Folks, I would really appreciate your help on this since I am planning to purchase this TV this evening!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
I'm sure there are lots of folks that "suscribes to the HDTV". Most likely the lack of response is because not many people have the TV you are interested in.

If it is a rear projection TV, I suggest you post in the "Rear Projection Units forum. You are far more likely to get a response there.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks. I shall post it there as well. But my Q pretty much could be about any HDTV-ready TV that can get HDTV signals in that area from an antenna. Does not necessarily have be the XBR TV.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I agree mallu2u. This is the correct forum for the info you want. You might try the search feature on this forum or just read old threads. Another idea is to drive around your neighborhood looking for UHF bow-tie or UHF yagi antennas on roofs. You could also change the subject to : Need OTA Help~Sterling, VA. Tom

·
Registered
676 Posts
I live in Ashburn and I 'personally' would not by the tuner built into the tv if you can avoid it. External tuners are generally better (better reception, more features) and allow you to change w/ the technology. The tv itself will probably not change much b/c it can display the HD content. Yes, tv's will get better but you will never stay right at the edge. However, they are still changing the STB's. Buying it seperate gives you the option of OTA w/ cable, OTA w/ dish (2 flavors), etc.. The Tivo unit are coming, so if you buy this tv and a tivo this summer .. your internal tuner will not be used (and you paid for it). I would buy a good display (best you can afford) w/ a digital input like DVI or HDMI and w/o a tuner. Then buy the tuner seperate. By going all digital (w/ DVI), you don't have to worry about loosing anything w/ analog cabling.

As far as reception, I'm in ashburn (just arcoss waxpool) and I have a Channel Master 4221 in my attic and get nearly perfect reception (no preamp, rotor or anything). I get NBC, FOX, ABC, CBS, WB, and a couple others. I don't have WETA since they are a slightly different direction. As far as getting the wire from the attic to the basement, your on your own. In other houses, I have used a radon vent (pipe from sump to attic) to chase wires, or you may have to go outside. Depends on the house. All you need is one good RG6 coax.

Good luck, Chad

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks a ton guys!

Chad, the prob is if I buy the best TV, its XBR and that has tuner built-in or I buy the GWIII and then add tuner later. Im leaning towards XBR since its new, best out there and has better looks and more features than GWIII. What do u say?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.