Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I live in Sterling, VA (right off Church Rd). I am planning to buy the 60'' Sony XBR TV TODAY and would like to make sure that it is worth the extra $1500 vs the GWIII. Have you yet used/setup the built-in HDTV tuner for receiving broadcasts yet? If yes, how was the experience? I am planning to buy the TV and am wondering the use of the tuner. If you are using the tuner,

1. Which city are u from?

2. How is the reception/clarity of the channels?

3. How did you install it?

4. Can I get away with an indoor antenna?

5. If installed in attic, how can I run cables to my basement?

The above info shall help me make the decision. I am wondering how well it shall work in this area and also how difficult would it be to set it up myself.

Thanks.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm in Hoston TX and got mine 6 days ago. I experimented with various amplified rabbit ear antennas but finally settled on the Zenith Silver sensor indoor antenna. I installed it just yesterday and I went from 4 digital channels to 11 (couldn't get PBS which required a VHF antenna). Setup is easy via the digital programme guide or even through the auto channel setup. With digital channels you either get it or you don't with no in between. OTA HD is brilliant on this set.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Do you have cable with HD?

Do you have satellite with HD?

OTA HD setop boxes can be had for ~$300 - $400 or less. D* satellite will sell you a system for something in that range that will do both satellite and OTA with free installation.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have Dish Network and therefore I CAN buy a receiver from them for HDTV channels that they offer. However I am not a fan of buying their receiver since I do not subcribe to any movie channels at all. I am looking to get HDTV for the basic channels which Dish does not even offer for HDTV. My belief is that one has to himself buy a antenna for that and set it up, right? I am not sure if Dish Network has any plans to offer basic channels in HDTV or not.

·
Registered
413 Posts
It is PROBABLY true (and you need to look deeper) that the Dish HD receiver will ALSO pull in OTA HD signals. The D*TV receivers all do that, and integrate the channel guides.

This is one of the reasons I did not pay $1000 extra to get the TV with the HD tuner included (not a Sony). There were other things in that price, but when I could get a HDTV STB for around $100, I could not justify the $1000.

But that's just me.

You might look around here to see if dish is running a deal at present.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I shall call them and ask them. Thanks. Even I am assuming XBR is $1500 better for more reasons that one like better technology, inputs/outputs, better picture and sounds, less defects and better looks.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well not if I do with the satellite company since their dish would get the signals. I called them and this is what I gathered from the conversation. I still have to make this decision. I did go ahead and buy the XBR. But I do have a month to decide before I take the delivery.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mallu2u
Well not if I do with the satellite company since their dish would get the signals. I called them and this is what I gathered from the conversation. I still have to make this decision. I did go ahead and buy the XBR. But I do have a month to decide before I take the delivery.
If you get a HD satellite Receiver with an integrated Digital/HD OTA Tuner, you will use the Satellite Receivers Tuner Instead of the XBR's because the Local channels are integrated into the channel guide along with the satellite Channels.

However

You will STILL have to have a UHF/VHF Antenna plugged into the Sat Receiver to pick up your "Local Digital/HD Channels."

Without one, it would be impossible to get the local Signals OTA

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maybe I can help with this. I have Dish Net and their 921 HD receiver. (Still waiting on my 60xbr). The 921 does integrate your local ota's into the guide. It does a great job with the local signals and it does pu the digital and HD uhf/vhf signals. I am using an outside ota antenna even though I am only about 6 mi from the antenna farm. Excellent reception. It is very noticable even on my 27" crt Sony tv. Also, on Dish, if you have the Dish 500 setup and if you subscribe to HBO and/or showtime, you will get HBO HD, Showtime HD, included without buying the HD package from Dish. (and a few others). Also, Dish has moved all of the HD programming, except CBS, to their 110 sat. So if you have the Dish 500 you can get all of their HD programming without having to add another dish.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
beemer,

why did u order the 60xbr if u wud not be able to use the built-in tuner at all? I am asking u this since I just bought the XBR and am wondering if I made the right decision then. Also, I was told that dish's satellite shall pick up HDTV signals for local channels as well. Is that not correct. why shud we need to install another antenna? I do have two dish 500s at home, one for top whatever and another for local/international. I generally do not subcribe to the movie channels at all.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Quote:
Also, I was told that dish's satellite shall pick up HDTV signals for local channels as well.
The Satellite RECEIVER will pick them up with a OTA antenna.

The Actual Dish Itself will not because the Local Signal is not coming from a Satellite. It is coming from the Broadcasting stations in your area.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The 921 will pu the locals but only if you have a uhf/vhf antenna hooked up to it. My understanding is that if you subscribe to locals over Dish net that you would not get them in HD. In order to get the locals in HD you have to use a separate antenna. I'm getting the xbr not only because it has its own tuner but because (as I was told) it also has additional filtering, a higher wattage bulb, better speakers, (even though I also have a surround system), and some upgraded circuitry. There are some veterans here that could be more specific. I plan on splitting the uhf antenna feed between the 921 and the tv. Eager to see if the tv tuner does a better job than the 921 with the locals.

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I hope you get is soon and can post your comments/results on it. I am in the same position and would love to hear that before taking delivery of my XBR.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.