AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Steve Jobs' Resignation: Impact on Custom Industry

By Robert Archer
Could Apple's run of dominance be coming to an end with the resignation of Steve Jobs?

Apple is a polarizing company among custom installers. Some embrace Apple's technologies, while others blame Apple for everything from the demise of the music industry to the mass commodization of whole-house A/V.

The recent news of Apple CEO Steve Jobs' resignation temporarily shook the stock market. The big question that remains is how consumers will react to Apple's next big product introduction, which rumors speculate will be the iPhone 5.

With Jobs out of the picture, this product could be highly scrutinized and could determine Apple's long-term future. A collective thumbs up reaction will provide business-as-usual assurance to the world, while a thumbs down will bring out the venomous legions of Microsoft loyalists who have had to sit on their hands over the last decade and take their lumps as the mass market dropped to its knees hailing Apple.

The scary thing for the custom install market is how Jobs' departure could affect the sales of residential electronics.

Click here to continue.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I am sure that I will get flamed for this, but it still amazes me how so many people think that Apple will tank with Jobs' resignation. As if HE was the sole visionary for Apple's product line. He was critical to Apple's comeback from the verge of death when he returned in 1996, but of late, he has been ill, on vacation, or just plain not around the office, and yet products keep coming.

While I am not an Apple fanboy by any means (the only Apple products in our house are iPods that my kids have), I think that Apple will keep on chugging along with new innovations even without Jobs. So all of you Apple nuts out there, take a deep breath and relax. The world is NOT coming to an end. :)

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
But the internet has brought with it the era of speculative news reporting. No longer are qualifiable facts a necessity, no longer do you have to actually support what is passed on as news with reliable, or even the most fundamental of research. Sensational, usually pessimistic, gossip is all that is required for "good" journalism today, even at news sites that you'd expect to be more "credible" and not cater to rash, unsubstantiated, unresearched frivolity that CEPro exploits almost exclusively. If you're looking anything other than a few pics of nice homes and HTs, few can afford, you're looking in the wrong place.

Sorry, I guess I'm feeling a little cynical today, myself. BTW, I don't own any apple devices, not even an iPod. Sometimes, it's just frustrating to see what passes for journalism on the internet.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Apple has 2-3 years of product plans going forward and these all would have Steve's influence so any short term impact is virtually impossible. As well, he remains are Chairman and will continue to be involved in key company and product decisions. That said, there are a few others who have great product sense (Jony Ive for one) and unless Apple really stumbles in any product category, I don't see any issue in the future.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.