AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I'll be nabbing that. Would also love the Live in Astoria, England show on BD as well, killer performances by all! If only he would've layed off the cheesy effects when editing, it would be a fav. Satch' San Fran disc would also be a welcome show in HD, production was stellar on that one! (=

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'll take it! All I have is the G3 dvd's and random other dvd's of his. Looks cool!

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schils /forum/post/16995052

I'll be nabbing that. Would also love the Live in Astoria, England show on BD as well, killer performances by all! If only he would've layed off the cheesy effects when editing, it would be a fav. Satch' San Fran disc would also be a welcome show in HD, production was stellar on that one! (=

Agreed, both those DVDs were great.

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
If you're a Steve Vai fan, checkout the new Mike Stern CD "Big Neighborhood". He guests on the CD, and Stern is a monster guitar player in his own right.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I just finished watching Where the Wild Things are. First off it is split over 2 disks. Second it has a stereo PCM track but if you want 5.1 it is plain DD. It is high bit rate DD some where in the 400K+ range but still DD. For the most part the video is pretty good but there is some really bad banding in some places.

As for the concert Steve Vai is a love him or hate him kind of thing. If you aren't familiar with his work I would definitely recommend a rental before buying. If you are a fan this is a real treat.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I own this and was very disapointed in the fact it doesn't have either a 5.1 PCM, TrueHD or dts-HD MA soundtrack. I also found it odd it was filmed in 720p, not 1080p, or 1080i even. I agree on the banding, I saw a lot of that and I also noticed poor black levels, there was little depth. Aside from all of the technical issues/choices the concert itself was good. It's odd that it couldn't fit on one disc. Standard DD, Stereo PCM and only 720p, this should have easily fit on one BD disc.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Hate bumping it but just curious if there are any more thoughts before this completely fades away? Anyone rent/buy/see it that hasn't taken the time to speak up? None of the respected review sites have touched the BD, heck, the lesser known sites haven't bothered with a review either, heh. On Vai's own music forum there is a little thread and they of course say they love it, lol, but you know, its HIS SITE and umm, its Vai IN CONCERT so naturally they do! They're not exactly PQ junkies with hi end gear though. Is it THAT bad (PQ/AQ)? Guess I could rent it, just don't wanna waste the time unless its worth it...

thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts