AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been away from here for a while (all my AV stuff is up and running with no problems) but I've been thinking about upgrading my screen from a 8x6 electric Targa to something fixed. I've found an apparent 149-inch Stewart Screen available that is scheduled to be auctioned off tomorrow morning.

The problem is that the auction house doesn't have a clue and they've put a "model number" on it of 149hfhc3wh. At this point I am assuming it may be a 149" diagonal screen. My room is 19'x13' so a screen that size would essentially consume the ENTIRE wall (Which may be OK). I think I may also be able to get this screen for a pretty cheap price (under $2K) so am wondering if anyone here recognizes this model number or if someone who sells these might have a better guess at what this critter might actually be? What would it be worth if I had to sell it on here (if it was too large)?

Thanks in advance...

Bunka

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka /forum/post/17000923

I've been away from here for a while (all my AV stuff is up and running with no problems) but I've been thinking about upgrading my screen from a 8x6 electric Targa to something fixed. I've found an apparent 149-inch Stewart Screen available that is scheduled to be auctioned off tomorrow morning.

The problem is that the auction house doesn't have a clue and they've put a "model number" on it of 149hfhc3wh. At this point I am assuming it may be a 149" diagonal screen. My room is 19'x13' so a screen that size would essentially consume the ENTIRE wall (Which may be OK). I think I may also be able to get this screen for a pretty cheap price (under $2K) so am wondering if anyone here recognizes this model number or if someone who sells these might have a better guess at what this critter might actually be? What would it be worth if I had to sell it on here (if it was too large)?

Thanks in advance...

Bunka

Your best bet is to contact Stewart:

http://www.stewartfilmscreen.com/cor...ontact_us.html

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HRD - Thanks but the auction is 10am tomorrow so I was fairly doubtful that I would hear back from them directly in the few regular work hours left in the day so I thought I would try here. Are you saying that you are a Stewart dealer but don't recognize the part #?

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At your guys advice I did go ahead and call Stewart directly. So far, I have been able to identify it as a non-motorized 73x130 (149-inch diagonal) newer Firehawk 3 screen. I just have to decide what I think it's worth. I will come back on here and let you guys know how it went....

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka /forum/post/17002045

At your guys advice I did go ahead and call Stewart directly. So far, I have been able to identify it as a non-motorized 73x130 (149-inch diagonal) newer Firehawk 3 screen. I just have to decide what I think it's worth. I will come back on here and let you guys know how it went....

That's a pretty large screen. I don't know if you have a projector yet or are shopping for one, but you will have to factor the throw distance and zoom capability of the projector to see if it will even fill that size a screen. My RS20 has a generous 2:1 zoom and would fill that screen at 15' of throw distance, but DLPs have stingy zooms and tend to be difficult fits unless you go for a high-end model that offers more than one choice for a lens.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd /forum/post/17002692

That's a pretty large screen. I don't know if you have a projector yet or are shopping for one, but you will have to factor the throw distance and zoom capability of the projector to see if it will even fill that size a screen. My RS20 has a generous 2:1 zoom and would fill that screen at 15' of throw distance, but DLPs have stingy zooms and tend to be difficult fits unless you go for a high-end model that offers more than one choice for a lens.

I do have a DLP that I have had for about 7 years now. It IS capable of filling "most of the screen in certain formats (from 19 feet which is where my projector has been hanging at for that time). In order to catch the entire area, I would need an additional lensing options. I've wanted to try some anamorphic stuff so maybe this could be my chance.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Stewart screen went over my pre-set limit. It was in a box but had been opened and set up previously. Looked like it was in good condition though.

Someone got a GREAT buy but I am pretty certain they were not aware how large this thing was so I left my card in it letting them know that I would be happy for give them $500 bucks (LOL..not holding my breath) for it if they discovered it would not fit in their place... We shall see if anything comes from it.

I did get a number of other "toys" from this auction. One of them is a brand new, in the box Crestron TPMC-4X but I don't have a Crestron system so it's likely going to show up in the classifieds section before too long.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Auctions happen nearly everyday across the country. Some people make a lot of money simply informing people when one will be in their area (think "Infomercial on how to get rich quick"). However, few of the auctions have anything that would be of interest to the AV nor Computer specialties.

Having said that, there have been two fairly large opportunities around here recently (Charlotte, NC). This weekends auction was of a guy who was caught running a ponzi scheme similar to the Barry Madeoff one. He leveraged his connections at his local church to con friends and family and a number of his congregation. He also appeared to have used a LOT of the funds he was supposed to have been investing to not only live off of, but to live lavishly at his investor's expense. Here's the online link to that auction. You may notice that he had a LOT of I Love Lucy memorabilia. Some of it went for big bucks while other things were probably worth alot but the bidders may not have had a clue. There were things in the auction that sold for MORE than you could have bought them for in a regular store. It wasn't that the items were worth any more, it was just that the bidders were idiots.

There was a "million dollar" motor home that was sold for $500K which may "seem" like a deal UNLESS you did the research on it. While it is true that it "RETAILED" for $1.2million, nobody EVER paid that much for them (even at that time). Also, it was a 2007 that was "worth" that amount and this was ACTUALLY had a 2006 chassis (He actually paid $773K for it 3 years ago). Also, this was used and not new and anyone who has ever bought a used vehicle knows that they depreciate as soon as you drive them off the lot. Also, a quick trip to my mother's hometown of Cresco Iowa...Yep, VERY tiny place that is the home of that particular well known RV manufacturer would have shown you that you could "take your pick" of FIVE NEW 2008 that you could have taken your pick from for that same $500K price.

The 33 foot boat was worth about $80K (max and ONLY because it only had 5 total hours on it and was still under warranty). Others like it with only 100 more hours are going for as low as $65K. Add the 10% buyers premium to the boat and it was a $95K purchase. I talked to a guy who sells these new and he told me that he would sell me a $2009 for $90K. He just wanted to know how many I wanted at that price as there are literally hundreds available directly from the dealerships...

Anyway, here's the link to the auction
http://www.garyboydauction.com/auction_08_14-15_09.html

And here's a link to a summary of the claims he was found guilty of
http://www.sec.gov/litigation/litrel...08/lr20807.htm

More coverage...
http://www2.hickoryrecord.com/conten...ews/jvhuffman/

PS - I did see someone pick up one of the larger (12-inch?) Crestron wall screens that was in a pile with other Apple hard drives and such for $200...total.

I also saw either Panamax 5300-EX's sell as a lot for $120 total. I bought an "in-the-box" 5300-EX for my own use for $40.00. I am not telling anyone what I paid for the TPMC-4X. I don't want anyone to have a heart attack...LOL!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka /forum/post/17026895

Scottyb - I stopped @ $500 and it was only me and the other bidder. The only reason I stopped at that figure was because I knew they had other things in the auction I also wanted to buy. I had pre-set a $1,000 budget for myself and wanted to only "burn" 50% of it on the screen itself (it was the fourth item auctioned off so it was VERY early) That and the fact that the size was "pushing it' for my room (It would have fit but would have also created newer issues that may have cost more including up fitting the projector).

In the end, I spent a LOT less than I had planned and could have went a bit further with the screen bidding. As an FYI, the Crestron TPMC-4X I bought at the auction for only $60 when I thought it was going to cost me $200. I just sold it on eBay for $530 and I still have these other pieces yet left to sell (Two 3COM 5GHz APs, a Klipsch RSX-5 reference speaker, A Cisco 1252G, A Panamax 5300-EX & a 15-inch rack-mounted keyboard/15" LCD monitor). I will likely keep those last two for my own HT use though.

Yea, $500 for a $4K screen...WOW!

I didn't realize you had the potential to buy the screen for such a low price. Your first post stated: "I think I may also be able to get this screen for a pretty cheap price (under $2K)", so I was figuring, what if he can get the screen for $1800, is that worth it considering a forum friend bought a brand new Firehawk last year for not all that much more at $2500? I thought about posting that, but figured the difference in size (his is 11-feet wide 2.37:1 AR) and yours was much larger, with a whopping 43 percent more screen area, made it more worthwhile of a deal.

Congratulations on the eBay sale.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd /forum/post/17027475

I didn't realize you had the potential to buy the screen for such a low price. Your first post stated: "I think I may also be able to get this screen for a pretty cheap price (under $2K)", so I was figuring, what if he can get the screen for $1800, is that worth it considering a forum friend bought a brand new Firehawk last year for not all that much more at $2500? I thought about posting that, but figured the difference in size (his is 11-feet wide 2.37:1 AR) and yours was much larger, with a whopping 43 percent more screen area, made it more worthwhile of a deal.

Congratulations on the eBay sale.

Thanks. When I initially posted the approximate value I was trying to not let a whole of of others asking a lot of questions (I didn't want others bidding against me in an auction I had found) so your read wasn't off. I was trying to verify that the screen was worth AT LEAST $2K in the open market. But this was mostly because I was afraid it might be too large and then I would have to resell it. At that time, I was planning on bidding "up to" $1,000 for it with the expectation that if it didn't work out, I could still make a few bucks off of it. At that time, there had not yet been a preview of the other items that were not listed.

After walking the site on the day of the auction and learning that the screen was SO early in the bidding process, I had to either leave and get more cash (not a realistic option as this was a ways out in the country and it was a Sunday) or adjust my bidding. The later became the result and I missed out. Now, there is still a (very slim) possibility that the person who bought it may not have realized how big it really was. I am hoping that it was a wife buying it for her hubby and when she gets it home, he realizes that it's too big for his plans. I put a card in the box with my number on it so I hoping that I still might yet hear from them. If it was a lady who is knowledgeable about the product, I don't expect to get any call. I wish I had walked to the payment trailer after the bidding ended for it but I was busy with my dad and other items on the bidders list.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never did get that call from the other bidder so it does appear that I am out of luck with that one. I've got a new line on a guy with an AT Stewart screen he bought at auction. However, I think it's the fabric only with no frame. He doesn't know a value and can't provide any numbers on it. I may drive by his shop to try and open it up. I think it is a 110" diagonal screen. I assume it is studiotek 130 but it could be the greyhawk. Anyone here have a price recommendation for me to offer him for the fabric only? Would $100 or maybe $200 be reasonable considering I'd still have to get the frame and all?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts