Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time Lurker first time poster!

I’m about to pull the trigger and get a BENQ7700, but I need some help deciding on a screen to get. This is my first foray into projectors and was hoping to do it right :)

Situation is that I have a pretty large credit ($2200) at a local retailer that happens to deal in Stewart Film screens so I was just planning on getting the screen through them. Thus I have limited my search to mainly just Stewart screens.

The room is approximately 20’ wide x 30’ long. Not fully light controlled, but by the time the projector gets here I will have added some black out type drapes to the windows. Hopefully, the only light that should get through then will just be what leaks by the sides of the drapes.

From what I’ve read I was thinking of going with either the GrayHawk or FireHawk line just not sure which is better for my conditions. Any thoughts? I was leaning towards the Grayhawk mainly cause I don’t see having to much extra light in the room, but I would hate to make a mistake!

·
Registered
23,188 Posts
I think the DNP SuperNova looks like enough of a breakthrough that using that credit for something else probably makes sense (unless Stewart has something to compete with the SuperNova at CEDIA besides that RPTV like setup with speakers, unless you want that). But, with such a large room you might want to go big and then a Da-Lite High Power might be a good option if you don't have the projector too high and don't need too wide a viewing cone. And those are cheap compared to what you have mentioned, if you can use a pull-down. In other words, I'm not sure that Stewart has the best options for that room.

--Darin

·
Registered
60 Posts
As Darin said, if you are looking to project a really large image, the Greyhawk or Firehawk may not be your best choice for a screen. I happen to be using a 92"diagonal Firehawk in my walk out basement with mostly windows on one wall. There are drapes down there, but we haven't gotten the slider covered with anything very dark yet. The Firehawk seems to work extremely well with our BenQ 7800. With enough lite in the room that it is possible to read a book, the picture is watchable, and when it gets dark the picture is wonderful. Everyone has different tastes and opinions, but my wife and I love the picture we get with the Firehawk in our room (17x34 for the part with the theater).

Chuck

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was leaning towards a 110†screen. Unfortunately, due to some budget reasons I have to limit myself to the credit for the screen. Meaning I’m locked into this place and there selection.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Well you can't go wroung with a Stewart. There are 2 factors that will decide which is best....1. the size of the image you want. The FH obviously has more gain to better for larger screen options. 2. the room viewing setup. The FH has a more narrow viewing cone, and this is a large room. If there is going to be a lot of off axis viewing, that is a consideration.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.