AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Stewart Luxus (electric) 110" StudioTek 130 microperf setup a while ago for my Sony LCD projector. As it happens, I did so right before the GrayHawk material came out. Ever since I've wanted to upgrade (now to Firehawk).

I thought I could just have a local installer replace the material (or the roller assembly). My local installer indicates that I would instead have to have them ship the unit to Stewart and back, for an estimated cost of $2000! Mind you, the replacement wouldn't be perfed, so it's really a pretty steep upgrade (i.e., not much different to purchasing new).

Another possibility is trying to sell the existing unit, since it would be a shame to throw away a perfectly good StudioTek material with perforations (those perforations didn't come cheap), and purchase a new unit. The downside to this is I have no idea on the secondary market for these screens

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I really want to keep the net cost under $1000.

Claude

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
Dont know what you can get for it, but you should be able to get a good price for it. Micropferf electric screens are expensive, so anyone looking for one for a good price might go for it assuming its in good shape. Luckily the Studiotek is very widely used in both CRT and Digital projectors

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Daniel, it was actually AVS's Jason who suggested that selling/buying might work better than upgrading.

Glad to hear that StudioTek is still in use.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
pm me a price that would work for you... And details on condition even if there's just a nick in the case.

model number/serial number also so I can look it up.

Troy

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel Hutnicki
Luckily the Studiotek is very widely used in both CRT and Digital projectors
It seems that Joe Kane will probably be recommending this material for the new Samsung DLP. I know it is what he used at CEDIA and commented that the screen was designed around what he requested. I'm sure some would consider the StudioTek 130 an upgrade from a Firehawk with these higher CR projectors (grey still has some advantages, though).

Claude,

Might make more sense to change the projector to something like the Panasonic AE500, Sanyo Z2, or Sony HS20. With the higher CR you might be happy with the 130. I'm assuming you are still using your Sony LCD, if not that advice might change.

--Darin

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Darin,

I'm actually pretty happy with the old Sony 10HT. I'm spending more and more time using my 34XBR800 in the bedroom, and don't really want to spend much right now (1 kid in college, 3 more in the wings).

The StudioTek is wonderful in a fully darkened room, but the Firehawk will handle ambient light better. More importantly, I don't think that the microperf / LCD combination is a particularly good one, at least not at this projection distance / screen size, and I'm no longer as reluctant to relocate my center channel as I once was.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.