AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using Stewart's Studiotek 130 (Microperf) from the beginning and I'm just curious about the Firehawk G3 and Grayhawk RS G3. I'm looking for one which would produce a darker black but just as bright as a Studiotek. I have a Marantz VP-15s1. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I am not familiar with the Greyhawk, but the FirehawkG3 does a great job of brightness on a "grey" screen. I think measurements were something like 130% (hence the 130 in the name) for reflecting light back to the viewing area for the Studiotek, and 115% for the Firehawk.

Here is a link concerning the studiotek and the Firehawk FWIW:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/stewart_screens.htm

The review is pre-gen 3 I believe.

·
Banned
6,051 Posts
I agree, I would stick with the firehawk but the image probably wont be as bright as the ST 1.3. It takes more light to light up a Gray screen than a white screen. As for using it for getting better blacks, well the grey screens were the answer for that but it does come at a price. Your whites and other colors wont be the same as they appear on a white screen although to be honest you shouldnt be able to tell the difference unless you had the white screen next to the gray screen. To be honest unless you have some light issues including light control, i think you are better off with the ST 1.3

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Daniel, Thanks for the advice. I think I'll stick with my Studiotek then. I was thinking of upgrading screen to get darker blacks. I guess I'll just upgrade the projector to a VP-11s2 or whenever VP-15s1 gets a DC4 upgrade..maybe VP-15s2.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
I would base this on your room. From a projector standpoint...the Marantz will overall (my opinion) do better on the ST130. True, black levels won't be as good, but they are already great on that projector and I think that is a small price to pay to get a more vibrant, colorful image.

BUT, what is your room like? ST130 really does best in a fully controlled environment, moreso than a multipurpose room. In those such rooms, Firehawk might be better.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Jason,

I did purchase the Studiotek Microperf from you a while back.

I'm just wondering if the Firehawk would yield to a blacker black.

My room is light controlled, dark grey walls, navy blue ceiling, and no windows - thus pitch black. The VP-15s1 is a phenomenal projector, though I wish its black is truly black. I wish Marantz would soon come up with a VP-15s2 with darkchip 4.

·
Registered
9,502 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis Medina /forum/post/14303694

Hi Jason,I did purchase the Studiotek Microperf from you a while back. I'm just wondering if the Firehawk would yield to a blacker black. My room is light controlled, dark grey walls, navy blue ceiling, and no windows - thus pitch black. The VP-15s1 is a phenomenal projector, though I wish its black is truly black. I wish Marantz would soon come up with a VP-15s2 with darkchip 4.

Lucky you, with light controlled room and dark walls I would stick to the Studiotec.

I have a FirehawkG3 (1.35 gain, 2:35 aspect ratio and 10 feet wide) but have windows & white ceiling, so Firehawk was best for me, my projector is JVC-DLA RS2 amazing pictures.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts
Yes a gray screen, such as the Firehawk, will indeed improve black levels. But this will happen at the sacrifice of the color fidelity, vibrancy, etc... I wouldn't reommend it for your room.

However, have you tried an ND filter? You can pick those up at a camera store to fit the Marantz, and that will certainly lower your black levels (brightness a bit as well)...but you'll still have the color benefits of a white.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jason,

Can you recommend a good ND filter?

I actually have one by Hoya and it's 81C that I used on my

previous Panny projector. I tried it on my VP-15s1 and I didn't see

that much difference in black level.

Thanks,

Francis

1 - 11 of 11 Posts