AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides price difference can some of you who have experience with masking system tell me the pro's and con's between a Stewart masking system vs Carada's Masquerade. I would really like a masking system for my 1.78 setup.


Does Carada's Masquerade system work with stewart screens?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 /forum/post/16997663


Besides price difference can some of you who have experience with masking system tell me the pro's and con's between a Stewart masking system vs Carada's Masquerade. I would really like a masking system for my 1.78 setup.


Does Carada's Masquerade system work with stewart screens?

See this link:

Carada CIH Masking System Anticipation Thread


Carada system should work with other screens.

Some notes....

Potential Competition for the Carada CIH
CIH masking

- Stewart - VistaScope & VistaScope Jumbo

- SMX PROMASK-CH - CIH masking system - link - $11,012 MSRP

4-way masking

- Stewart - Director's Choice Ultimate Masking Screen

- SMX PROMASK QUAD - 4 way masking - link - $13,775 MSRP



I would also be interested in hearing about a direct Stewart/Carada comparison.


Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 /forum/post/16997663


I would really like a masking system for my 1.78 setup.

What formats do you want to mask? For 2.35 and 1.78 on a 1.78 screen, you will need the Masquerade horizontal masking system. For 2.35, 1.78, and 1.33 on a 1.78 screen, you will need a four-way masking system, which IIRC Carada does not offer at this time. I'm not sure whether the new Carada CIH system will fit onto a 1.78 screen; but if it will, you can only go between 1.78 and lower ARs. You will still have black bars above and below a 2.35 movie!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings /forum/post/17066955


$14,000 to hide a part of the screen you don't want to see? Seriously?

Are you suggesting that some black velvet fabric from the local fabric store could work?


That's crazy talk!





Mike


PS - However, a lot of people _do_ like masking systems, even if expensive.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,696 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI /forum/post/17067018


PS - However, a lot of people _do_ like masking systems, even if expensive.

I'm planning to like masking systems--just as soon as I win the lottery!



(Actually, Carada's Masquerade is pretty reasonable compared to the others.)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLBoy /forum/post/17067093


I'm planning to like masking systems--just as soon as I win the lottery!



(Actually, Carada's Masquerade is pretty reasonable compared to the others.)

It's all relative.

There are cheap DIY solutions that work very well.

However, some people are not DIY inclined or can spend that money without noticing.

Many are in between.




Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI /forum/post/17067018


Are you suggesting that some black velvet fabric from the local fabric store could work?


That's crazy talk!





Mike


PS - However, a lot of people _do_ like masking systems, even if expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI /forum/post/17067118


It's all relative.

There are cheap DIY solutions that work very well.

However, some people are not DIY inclined or can spend that money without noticing.

Many are in between.




Mike

I would love to have a masking system. But I plan on spending ~2k for a 130" 2.35.1 screen, why would I want to spend 7x that much to mask?


There HAS to be some better options out there, that cost less than the screen itself. Otherwise, why not just have multiple screens?


(theater build starting at the first of the year)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would just like to mask off the black bars when watching a 2.35/2.40 movie.. I know what my options are. My question is there a big difference between caradas masking and stewarts..Besides the pricing. I've seen several stewart masking systems but dealers dont ever carry Carada's masking system so its hard to compare. Thats why Im asking if anyone here has had the chance to compare the two.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings /forum/post/17068492


I would love to have a masking system. But I plan on spending ~2k for a 130" 2.35.1 screen, why would I want to spend 7x that much to mask?


There HAS to be some better options out there, that cost less than the screen itself. Otherwise, why not just have multiple screens?


(theater build starting at the first of the year)

I don't know of any non-DIY masking systems that are less than Carada.

There are many great ideas -- that work! -- in the DIY threads.

I know of some people trying to develop cheaper masking systems, but since they haven't come out I suspect that the margin they would make is not worth developing a company around it.


If you find a cheaper quality masking system available, post it and I'm sure that company will do very well selling to AVSers.

RE: multiple screens.

You COULD do that, but think about it.

You aren't going to have multiple fixed screens.

You could have a large 2.35:1 screen fixed and a drop/pull down 16:9 or whatever, but then you still have the screen behind it.

You also have to pay for and install it.

Some people do do that -- it does have the advantage of using a different screen material (eg HP for sports on 16:9 HDTV, etc) and you can block off the fixed screen with dark drapes/velvet, but this starts to get more complicated.


I will likely get a CIH masking system for the same reason other people do.

It makes the image look better, it is simple, elegant, and flexible.

It is expensive compared to a lot of stuff we spend money on in AV.

YMMV.


Cheers,


Mike
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,669 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisx510 /forum/post/17071035


I would just like to mask off the black bars when watching a 2.35/2.40 movie.. I know what my options are. My question is there a big difference between caradas masking and stewarts..Besides the pricing. I've seen several stewart masking systems but dealers dont ever carry Carada's masking system so its hard to compare. Thats why Im asking if anyone here has had the chance to compare the two.

I haven't seen any direct comparisons.

There are some reviews on the Carada site that might help.


The custom installers around my area didn't even want to talk about Carada.

I don't think it was a quality issue for the installers, but a few things:

1) training

2) margin

3) laziness


Good luck, and if you do find any comparisons, post!

I'll look a little as well.


Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_WI /forum/post/17071869


I don't know of any non-DIY masking systems that are less than Carada.

There are many great ideas -- that work! -- in the DIY threads.

I know of some people trying to develop cheaper masking systems, but since they haven't come out I suspect that the margin they would make is not worth developing a company around it.


If you find a cheaper quality masking system available, post it and I'm sure that company will do very well selling to AVSers.

RE: multiple screens.

You COULD do that, but think about it.

You aren't going to have multiple fixed screens.

You could have a large 2.35:1 screen fixed and a drop/pull down 16:9 or whatever, but then you still have the screen behind it.

You also have to pay for and install it.

Some people do do that -- it does have the advantage of using a different screen material (eg HP for sports on 16:9 HDTV, etc) and you can block off the fixed screen with dark drapes/velvet, but this starts to get more complicated.


I will likely get a CIH masking system for the same reason other people do.

It makes the image look better, it is simple, elegant, and flexible.

It is expensive compared to a lot of stuff we spend money on in AV.

YMMV.


Cheers,


Mike


Thanks for the reply. Considering my budget, it would be silly to spend 40% towards masking, (looking at ~130' 2.35 screen, less than $15k budget, do the math Carada's CIH) so DIY it will be. I will surely do my own searching, but if you don't mind pointing me to some threads, I would certainly appreciate it.


Thanks again and in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmepilotwings /forum/post/17073561


Thanks for the reply. Considering my budget, it would be silly to spend 40% towards masking, (looking at ~130' 2.35 screen, less than $15k budget, do the math Carada's CIH) so DIY it will be. I will surely do my own searching, but if you don't mind pointing me to some threads, I would certainly appreciate it.


Thanks again and in advance.

Realizing that you won't ultimately get the clean appearance of a Masquerade (If I could afford one right now, I would), DIY can give great results. I just finished mine, and am very pleased with the effect when the lights go out.


We watched "Ratatouille" last night and even though it's a gorgeous looking movie to start with, getting rid of the digital black (gray) bars is a night and day perception stepup. I don't think I'll ever be able to watch movies again without masking where needed.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1169586
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top