AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dilemma here. I have a short viewing distance from the screen at 8ft. Right now I'm using an elite screens AcousticPro 1080p3 which supposedly has a 1.0 gain. I've used other standard screens with 1.0 gains that seemed brighter. I was looking at a 120" THX MicroPerf studiomatt 100 or the new Harmony G2 with .7 gain. Obviously I'd want the higher gain for hdr but at 8ft will I see the perforations or should I stick with the G2 weave. I guess it's so new nobody has seen it yet. Will I see the perforations at 8ft? This would be paired with an NX7 totally blacked out room. Thanks for any tips.

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
It is recommended that the viewing distance for the THX Ultra Certified MicroPerf is at a very minimum of 11 feet as perforations can be noticed during high key scenes at your particular viewing distance of 8 feet. That said, the Harmony G2 has an honest gain of 0.7. (For those who are familiar with Stewart, it is well known in the industry that we have a reputation for publishing true engineering specifications and not BS marketing specs). The minimum viewing distance for the Harmony G2 has not been officially established yet, but at this time, I am estimating somewhere between 6 to 7 feet to the closest viewer's eye-point.. We need some additioal data collection on this. We will have more to follow on that later. Hope that helps a little.

Best Regards,
Don

Harmony G2  4621.JPG

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is recommended that the viewing distance for the THX Ultra Certified MicroPerf is at a very minimum of 11 feet as perforations can be noticed during high key scenes at your particular viewing distance of 8 feet. That said, the Harmony G2 has an honest gain of 0.7. (For those who are familiar with Stewart, it is well known in the industry that we have a reputation for publishing true engineering specifications and not BS marketing specs). The minimum viewing distance for the Harmony G2 has not been officially established yet, but I am estimating somewhere between 6 to 7 feet to the closest viewer at this time. We will have more to follow on that later. Hope that helps a little.

Best Regards,
Don

View attachment 3120181
Great thanks for the response. If anyone would know it'd be you. Guess the G2 it is.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Have you looked at Dreamscreen v6 and v7? I'm leaning towards the latter as it is apparently close to an accurante 1 gain (0.93 iirc) with no visible weave at close distances. Worth getting samples either way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts