AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at updating my new screen which I have had for a couple of weeks. Screen Pq looks great has a grey backing and is 117" 2:37:1. I was told that the Stewart Studio tech G3 compared to other screens is night and day difference, is that true? I used to have the old Stewart Studio teck 16x9 and looking at my screen that I have know I really cannot tell the difference. What makes them the best and how much improvement are we looking at compared to other screens?

·
Registered
20,981 Posts
Stewart makes great screens. I like my Firehawk G3 for instance, and in my opinion, it is better than my Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision screen. But I wouldn't say it's " night and day " - better screens and better projectors offer an " incremental improvement " . Whether that additional refinement in picture quality is worth the cost to you or not is the question.

·
Premium Member
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer /forum/post/16994132

Stewart makes great screens. I like my Firehawk G3 for instance, and in my opinion, it is better than my Da-Lite High Contrast Cinema Vision screen. But I wouldn't say it's " night and day " - better screens and better projectors offer an " incremental improvement " . Whether that additional refinement in picture quality is worth the cost to you or not is the question.

What % would you say is the improvement?

·
Registered
15,376 Posts
After lots of reading, research and comparing various screens in action (and trying different screen materials at home) I ended up buying the Stewart ST-130 G3 screen material to use with my JVC RS20 in my new home theater.

Here is a post I did on AVforum comparing it to another screen material:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/proje...ml#post8388778

As it happens, the Stewart material suited my particular needs the best. I don't think that makes it therefore "the best" material. I did prefer it to the Carada brilliant white material (see above), but note the caveats I gave. Even though I preferred the Stewart material there is no free lunch and there is still some amount of compromise going with the Stewart material even over the cheaper Carada material (e.g. a slight narrowing of the viewing cone, possibility of seeing some amount of screen gain texture on the Stewart, potential for more "wash out" from room reflections/ambient light, some possible issues with projector placement/angular reflectivity of the Stewart material).

This is why, even though I believe I'll ultimately prefer the Stewart material that I bought to other white screens, I don't feel I can categorically say "It's better and therefore worth the money." Unless you really need that extra bit of gain - and I felt I did - I'm not sure how I'd argue someone should choose the Stewart over the MUCH less expensive Carada screens.

·
Premium Member
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness /forum/post/16994301

After lots of reading, research and comparing various screens in action (and trying different screen materials at home) I ended up buying the Stewart ST-130 G3 screen material to use with my JVC RS20 in my new home theater.

Here is a post I did on AVforum comparing it to another screen material:

http://www.avforums.com/forums/proje...ml#post8388778

As it happens, the Stewart material suited my particular needs the best. I don't think that makes it therefore "the best" material. I did prefer it to the Carada brilliant white material (see above), but note the caveats I gave. Even though I preferred the Stewart material there is no free lunch and there is still some amount of compromise going with the Stewart material even over the cheaper Carada material (e.g. a slight narrowing of the viewing cone, possibility of seeing some amount of screen gain texture on the Stewart, potential for more "wash out" from room reflections/ambient light, some possible issues with projector placement/angular reflectivity of the Stewart material).

This is why, even though I believe I'll ultimately prefer the Stewart material that I bought to other white screens, I don't feel I can categorically say "It's better and therefore worth the money." Unless you really need that extra bit of gain - and I felt I did - I'm not sure how I'd argue someone should choose the Stewart over the MUCH less expensive Carada screens.

Ive have an option in trading up my screen, (mind you in Australia the Stewart Screens are not cheap a 117" 2:37:1 we pay close to triple retail at times). But for the improvement who knows. I have a screenshot of what my screen and RS10 projector had produced. Im not a professional camera man and the camera is cheap, so mind the picture. Im sure you guys know the photos were never able to produce what we can see at home. it does look better at home, personally I think its fine but its good to here from the experts who have experience and able to tell me by choosing the Stewart Studio Tek 1.3 G3 how does this shot improve.

·
Premium Member
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer /forum/post/16996323

Hard to say you will see any improvement worth the effort and expense. That's a great looking screen shot. Chasing that last percentage of improvement may or may not be worth it to you. The question is, are you happy with your current screen or not?

I'm happy with the screen but if having a Stewart would improve that shot by a large percentage than that's what would interest me. Unfortunatley the changeover price is $4000au and it needs to be a good % of improvement for me to upgrade. The projector has not been calibrated yet (only 140 hours) going through a prism based lens. If having a stewart is going to give me a very small improvement that I might not even notice then it certainly not worth it. That's why I needed your expertise advice because you guys have the experience. Thank you for the reply

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Upgrading your projector to A higher end model would improve the picture by more % than A screen..

But It is important to note that There is reasons & real science in why the Studio Tek 130 surface is regarded by most to be the industry reference standard that others are measured against.. Even Oz screens have A ISF calibrationest compare 3D evolution screen surface performance to the performance of the Studio Tek 130 posted on there web site... Stewarts can send you spread sheets on the Science behind the Studio Tek 130 screen surface or I can send/post them to you..

The video system as A whole is only as strong/good as its weakest link, the screen being an intrical part of that.. Choosing the right screen for your projector & enviroment is one of the key factors, but to be honest it is never ending when trying to squeeze every ounce of performance out of what can be obtained from Your video chain......

Hope this Helps,

Cheers....

·
Premium Member
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad /forum/post/16997746

Upgrading your projector to A higher end model would improve the picture by more % than A screen..

But It is important to note that There is reasons & real science in why the Studio Tek 130 surface is regarded by most to be the industry reference standard that others are measured against.. Even Oz screens have A ISF calibrationest compare 3D evolution screen surface performance to the performance of the Studio Tek 130 posted on there web site... Stewarts can send you spread sheets on the Science behind the Studio Tek 130 screen surface or I can send/post them to you..

The video system as A whole is only as strong/good as its weakest link, the screen being an intrical part of that.. Choosing the right screen for your projector & enviroment is one of the key factors, but to be honest it is never ending when trying to squeeze every ounce of performance out of what can be obtained from Your video chain......

Hope this Helps,

Cheers....

Thanks cinema mad. I just want to know how much % improvement will get with my current situation and if its worth the $4000au upgrade. Has to be a good percentage of improvement.

·
Registered
6,164 Posts
Maybe you should order samples from Stewart and decide for yourself. You haven't mentioned what you are looking to improve upon. Color depth, brightness, etc?

I'm not familiar with Stewart screens but I know they are very expensive.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Yes you should notice an improvement knowing the screen surface you have now, "if" you know what to look for, but to put A % performance on it is impossable untill you have it installed in your inviroment...

But we can say with curtainty that Upgrading your projector to A higher end model and having it calibrated to A standard would give A bigger % improvement compared to changing out your screen alone...

Cheers....

·
Premium Member
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad /forum/post/16997790

Yes you should notice an improvement knowing the screen surface you have now, "if" you know what to look for, but to put A % performance on it is impossable untill you have it installed in your inviroment...

But we can say with curtainty that Upgrading your projector to A higher end model and having it calibrated to A standard would give A bigger % improvement compared to changing out your screen alone...

Cheers....

Thanks mate!

·
Premium Member
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi I like to thank to who all who responded but im getting the Stewart Studio tech 1.3 G3. Did some comparisons with my mate tonight and the difference is night and day. Just like to say after seeing the comparisons side by side the difference is very much chalk and cheese.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
Just like all products there is no "best". Some are better than other in certain areas.

As far as screens go. From a normal viewing distance one 1.3 gain screen should look identical to another 1.3 gain screen. As you get closer you may or may not see differences in screen build, surface texture etc etc. Cinema mad is right on the money. The screen is a passive device. You will yield substantially better picture from getting a better projector than you will from getting a "better" screen.

best image possible to me is still the High Power.

·
Premium Member
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryg /forum/post/17004672

Just like all products there is no "best". Some are better than other in certain areas.

As far as screens go. From a normal viewing distance one 1.3 gain screen should look identical to another 1.3 gain screen. As you get closer you may or may not see differences in screen build, surface texture etc etc. Cinema mad is right on the money. The screen is a passive device. You will yield substantially better picture from getting a better projector than you will from getting a "better" screen.

best image possible to me is still the High Power.

Thank you Tryg. For my setup I think the JVC is will do the job fine just having the Stewart will compliment the picture. Unfortunatley the screen I have know 1.0 gain does the job but as Craig Peer put it "Chasing that last percentage of improvement".

·
Registered
902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin /forum/post/17005029

Thank you Tryg. For my setup I think the JVC is will do the job fine just having the Stewart will compliment the picture. Unfortunatley the screen I have know 1.0 gain does the job but as Craig Peer put it "Chasing that last percentage of improvement".

As an owner of a 100" STEWART Firehawk SST tab-tensioned electrescreen I can tell you first hand that they make an exceptional screen and that they stand behind their product 150%. Yes it costs more and yes the improvement is incremental but that last percentage of improvement is worth every penny. Think of it as a long term investment that will provide you with years of enjoyment. Remember my motto:

"Buy right the FIRST TIME so you do not have to buy it again for a very long time!"

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franin /forum/post/17005029

I'm not trying to steer you away from any product but I will say you should use your money wisely. If one product yields little or no improvement, you should spend your money in other areas of your HT to yield substantial improvements.

·
Premium Member
24,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 /forum/post/17011354

As an owner of a 100" STEWART Firehawk SST tab-tensioned electrescreen I can tell you first hand that they make an exceptional screen and that they stand behind their product 150%. Yes it costs more and yes the improvement is incremental but that last percentage of improvement is worth every penny. Think of it as a long term investment that will provide you with years of enjoyment. Remember my motto:

"Buy right the FIRST TIME so you do not have to buy it again for a very long time!"

I hope this helps.

Thanks Jmouse007, I agree with your motto I should of done that in the first place.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts