AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By all accounts, these are two of the best, if not the two best, white screens on the market. But which one is better?

Say you could get the exact brightness you wanted using either screen, which would you pick then?

Say you could get more than adequate brightness on the G3 100, but not much extra headroom or breathing room unless you choose the G4 130, but then you are (if only slightly) sacrificing the 100% Lambertian quality of the G3 100, which would you pick then?

Thanks for sharing your informed opinion. It really helps my choice.

·
Super Moderator
JVC RS4500 | ST130 G4 135" | MRX 720 | MC303 MC152 | 6.1.4: B&W 802D3, 805D3, 702S2 | 4x15 IB Subs
10,875 Posts
By all accounts, these are two of the best, if not the two best, white screens on the market. But which one is better?

Say you could get the exact brightness you wanted using either screen, which would you pick then?

Say you could get more than adequate brightness on the G3 100, but not much extra headroom or breathing room unless you choose the G4 130, but then you are (if only slightly) sacrificing the 100% Lambertian quality of the G3 100, which would you pick then?

Thanks for sharing your informed opinion. It really helps my choice.
I have plenty of brightness for the ST100 but went with the ST130 anyway. This allows me to close my iris down more and increase contrast. The ST 130 G4 is almost completely speckle free and just an all around great screen. I had both the ST100 and ST130 samples here when I made my decision. If you're on the fence, you can contact stewart and ask for samples of each. They're free.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have plenty of brightness for the ST100 but went with the ST130 anyway. This allows me to close my iris down more and increase contrast. The ST 130 G4 is almost completely speckle free and just an all around great screen. I had both the ST100 and ST130 samples here when I made my decision. If you're on the fence, you can contact stewart and ask for samples of each. They're free.
That makes sense why you did it because your projector has a manual iris you can close down more to increase contrast. That introduces a new variable into the comparison. It's almost like saying the ST 130 G4 is better with projector B than the ST 100 G43 is with projector A. What I am hoping to learn is, which is better only with projector A, the ST 130 G4, or the ST 100 G3?

Did you ever test both screens with this projector without closing down the iris differently for one of them than the other? What is better about the G4 130 when just using the projector with the iris just as open as it was for the G3 100? So far all I know is that one is brighter, and one is Lambertian. And one has zero grain and sheen, and the other has the least grain or sheen of any 1.3 grain screen ever, but still possibly slightly more than the 1.0.

So the G4 130 being brighter, I consider that a big advantage. The G3 100 being Lambertian and possibly even more grain-free and speckle free, I consider those two fairly big advantages that together add one to one big advantage. So I see it as "different, but totally equal" right now, and I'm looking to hear more details to try to separate the two. I also have samples of both, and many other screens, that I will definitely test before purchasing. But I can't test them at the moment, and I can ask on the forum, so I'm just doing that for now. I also think viewing two samples, even with my own eyes, may be less reliable than hearing the results of other people who have compared both of the screens in full, not just samples, over a long period of time, with the same projectors.

·
Registered
19,848 Posts
That makes sense why you did it because your projector has a manual iris you can close down more to increase contrast. That introduces a new variable into the comparison. It's almost like saying the ST 130 G4 is better with projector B than the ST 100 G43 is with projector A. What I am hoping to learn is, which is better only with projector A, the ST 130 G4, or the ST 100 G3?

Did you ever test both screens with this projector without closing down the iris differently for one of them than the other? What is better about the G4 130 when just using the projector with the iris just as open as it was for the G3 100? So far all I know is that one is brighter, and one is Lambertian. And one has zero grain and sheen, and the other has the least grain or sheen of any 1.3 grain screen ever, but still possibly slightly more than the 1.0.

So the G4 130 being brighter, I consider that a big advantage. The G3 100 being Lambertian and possibly even more grain-free and speckle free, I consider those two fairly big advantages that together add one to one big advantage. So I see it as "different, but totally equal" right now, and I'm looking to hear more details to try to separate the two. I also have samples of both, and many other screens, that I will definitely test before purchasing. But I can't test them at the moment, and I can ask on the forum, so I'm just doing that for now. I also think viewing two samples, even with my own eyes, may be less reliable than hearing the results of other people who have compared both of the screens in full, not just samples, over a long period of time, with the same projectors.
The ST100 will send light in all directions, which depending on your room surfaces, can add more light back onto your screen. The ST130 will send more light back at the projector and less on the walls and ceiling / floor. And potentially wash out your picture less.

·
Vendor
NX7 + ST130, Firehawk & Black Diamond + Marantz 8012 + Def Tech 9080s +more.
587 Posts
The ST100 will send light in all directions, which depending on your room surfaces, can add more light back onto your screen. The ST130 will send more light back at the projector and less on the walls and ceiling / floor. And potentially wash out your picture less.
^^^ This. ST130 is generally preferred over the ST100 from the people we speak with for the reasons both @Craig Peer & @markmon1 stated.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^^^ This. ST130 is generally preferred over the ST100 from the people we speak with for the reasons both @Craig Peer & @markmon1 stated.
Does this have any application in a batcave? Reflected light shouldnt be an issue either way. Does this tip the scales back to even, or even to the 100 G3?

·
Premium Member
786 Posts
In a "True" batcave by definition, the screen's half gain luminance angles have less significance than in a more normal room that most of users have to deal with. That being said, the main benefit still exist with additional image foot lamberts which has become an important issue again for viewing HDR material.

·
Registered
69 Posts
This thread was extremely helpful, and particulary the above answer from Craig. The HDR point from Don is also important.

I assume the FireHawk screen has similar properties to the ST130 if you have less of a bat cave, say more of a living room albeit with decent light control?

·
Registered
19,848 Posts

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This thread was extremely helpful, and particulary the above answer from Craig. The HDR point from Don is also important.

I assume the FireHawk screen has similar properties to the ST130 if you have less of a bat cave, say more of a living room albeit with decent light control?
I may or may not have read somewhere that the Firehawk has more grain or sheen than the ST130, and more than some other 1.3 gain screens by other companies. If you're looking for a grey ambient light rejecting 1.3 gain screen, you might want to cast a larger net than Stewart, I'm not sure. I havent researched grey screens as much as white, but at this moment in time if I were to buy a 1.3 gain grey screen, and it was a fixed screen (because this is not available in pulldown), I would buy this. Seymour Ambient Visionaire Light-Rejecting Screen Review - HomeTheaterHifi.com.

The review actually says it's as good of a white screen, essentially, as the Stewart 130, but it's also grey and ambient light rejecting to top it off. That would be very impressive if it's true. But even if the 130 is a little better except for ambient light rejecting properties, as far as grey screens, that is best recommended one according to two reviews I've seen now.

If you need pulldown grey screen, someone told me Screen Innovations might have the other best ones, but I don't know much about them. And apparently the Da-Lite HD progressive 1.3 is a cheaper option that is still pretty good.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts