41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my current setup -

Denon 1909

1- STF-2

C- Energy CC-10

L/R - Energy CB-20

LS/RS - Energy CB-5

The sub is performing wonderfully in lower frequencies but there is a huge gap when it comes to mid-range. I have watched Transformers/THX demo/Batman/ name anything. It is all low bass, it just hits you all at once without the midrange. I have run Audyssey and always have to adjust the sub level afterwards. When I ran Audsy I left the subwoofer gain at 12 o'clock. The receiver is set to LFE+Main and the sub crossover is turned to Out. The receiver crossover is set to 110hz.

I have tried multiple locations including right next to my ear...

Do I have a bad cable or is there something wrong with the sub or the settings?

Thanks in advance. Any other details needed?

Brian

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Play a sweep from say 25Hz-150Hz and get an idea of exactly how much mid-bass you are actually missing and approximately what freqs seem to be missing (you should have sweeps that cover from 200Hz-80Hz and from 80Hz-10Hz on the HSU CD that came with the sub). Alternatively you can play individual freqs from the CD that came with the sub to determine exactly what is going on. If its due to a null Audyssey is not going to be able to help you... you'll need to change either the sub's location or the listening position or both. BTW, which version of Audyssey are you using? 2EQ or MultiEQ? Did you try flipping the phase switch on the sub? (though theoretically Audyssey should take care of any phasing issues)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, there are a few details I missed. LOL

The sub is turned to 'out'.

All other speakers are set to 60hz and are 'Small'. I will change all to 80hz.

I am running MultiEQ...I don't even know how to use 2EQ.

I wish I had a CD...didn't get one with the sub. I'll try to get one from HSU support.

Thanks for the input guys.

Brian

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Look in the envelope that has your invoice in it on the box the sub came in. The CD should be there.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
They use to have it on their site but the link does not work anymore. Are your sure the CD is not on the box or did you get rid of it already. If so then email Hsu and they will send another one. Or you could try these tones: http://www.realtraps.com/test-cd.htm

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you hometheatergeek for the link to the test CD. I have been playing with it and have enjoyed the frequencies until I get to the 50-59hz test. The sub falls flat on its face...I hear a frequency but the volume is 1/5th of the previous frequency range (40-49hz). I certainly expect it to sound different but not like this.

Essentially after the 50hz+ range the volume is very low compared to the previous frequencies. I can adjust the volume on the sub and makes those fq's come alive but only with turning it up to nearly max.

I don't have an SPL meter and don't think it is required for such an apparent hole.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Brian,

1) First off how big is your room?

2)Have you tried turning off Audyssey and see what happens then?

3)You also need to turn off ther LFE+Main setting so more bass goes to the sub. Just because the Energy CB-20 states: Frequency Response of 60Hz - 20kHz you will typically not get that from one 6 1\\2 inch speaker. You would need multiples of 6 1/2 inch speakers. I know it is a bass reflex design so you need to have room behind the speaker. Is this the case?

I'm beginning to think the STF-2 might not be the right sub in your particular situation. However the suggestion by AvGeek07 by adding one of the mbm-12 to your setup is another viable option.

Hope this helped.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is a dedicated media room 14x16 with 10' ceiling. It isn't a very big space and when the sub is performing in the lower frequencies it fills the room quite well. Impressive.

The sub used to perform well in the 50hz+ range but I fear something is wrong with it. Buying a midbase sub to fix a possibly broken sub isn't the solution for me.

I will try using the crossover in the sub alone (although I have already done it) again to see if there is any improvement but additionally turn off Audyssey.

Thanks.

I'll report back this afternoon.

Brian

·
Registered
2,423 Posts

Quote:
The sub used to perform well in the 50hz+ range but I fear something is wrong with it. Buying a midbase sub to fix a possibly broken sub isn't the solution for me.

See now that ^^^ is important infomation. You did not state that it worked well before in your orginal post.

So the question now is what changed before it stopped working the way it did before?

Did you have a Power outage?

Did you moved the sub to different location?

Have you tried another cable?

Different receiver?

Have you tried to reset the receiver to factory defaults and start over again?

Try a different cable first then if that does not work try to reset the receiver.

Is the sub still under warranty? If none of these suggestions work then you might have to send only the amp back to Hsu to have them check it for you.

·
Registered
173 Posts
This is interseting. I have the same sub and it seems like I am going through the same thing. It use to have much more impact then it does now in the mid bass. I have not had time to take any measurments. Hopefully soon though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Resolved- location location location.

With SPL meter in hand I crawled and finally found a great spot. I don't feel much below 30 though but everything else is good.

One more time - location location location.

Brian

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.