AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For only $10 current price difference, what are the benefits of the single tuned sub vs. the variable tuning sub (STF-3 vs. VTF2-Mk3)? I understand a slight difference in amp power, but that seems negligible in the final output. Thoughts? The VTF has slightly less power, deeper reach, same driver, variable tuning - so why would someone buy the STF at these prices? Perhaps, it's a noob inquiry, so please forgive my basic question.

I am considering upgrading from a DefTech ProSUB 80 - I think I should expect a remarkable difference for both music and HT. Right?

·
Registered
648 Posts
It's a good question that I am surprised nobody has answered. I talked to HSU and the said the new VTF-2 MKIII is better all the way around.

·
Registered
648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb1130 /forum/post/0

I was wondering the same thing when I was about to get me a new sub and came upon this thread at the HSU Research Forum STF-3 vs. VTF-2-MK3 . I decided to go with the VTF-2 MK3 myself.

Probably the best choice but the STF3 is no slouch either.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
dmolin:

Call or send an email to Dr. Hsu. He will answer your question. I have used Hsu subs for many years and have always gotten an excellent response.

·
Registered
39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillaxtodamax /forum/post/0

what exactly does the tuneable feature of the VTF2-MK3 do? I know you can adjust the low freq from 18-25 Hz, but wouldn't you want it at 18 all the time?

This is from the HSU website....

"The reason for variable tuning is that all subwoofer designs, especially consumer-level subwoofers, involve tradeoffs in design. You cannot have a small subwoofer that goes very low, plays very loud and costs very little. Traditionally, the engineer decides what tradeoff he or she thinks is best for the consumer. The consumer has to take it or leave it. The VTF-2 changes all that. It allows you, the user, to choose the tradeoff. If you enjoy music that is loud but does not have much deep bass, set the VTF series for maximum output. That way, you get maximum dynamic range with the lowest distortion. If you like music with deep bass, set it for maximum bass extension to reproduce the deep bass accurately. You can even switch between the two modes depending on what you play. That means effectively you get a subwoofer that can play loudly, and can play low, all in one, at a reasonable price!"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.