AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're a King Crimson fan, Stick Men (Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, and Markus Reuter) has a new album with a surround mix. The Amazon description is a bit ambiguous, saying that "the bonus DVD includes a wonderful 5.1 DTS mix of the entire album and hi-res versions of the stereo mix. All of this uncompressed at the highest fidelity." I just received the DVD and can confirm that in addition to the DTS mix, it has a DVD-Audio portion with a full resolution 24 bit 96kHz 5.1 mix.

·
Registered
755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Fire  /t/1468779/stick-men-deep-special-edition#post_23216789

If you're a King Crimson fan, Stick Men (Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto, and Markus Reuter) has a new album with a surround mix. The Amazon description is a bit ambiguous, saying that "the bonus DVD includes a wonderful 5.1 DTS mix of the entire album and hi-res versions of the stereo mix. All of this uncompressed at the highest fidelity." I just received the DVD and can confirm that in addition to the DTS mix, it has a DVD-Audio portion with a full resolution 24 bit 96kHz 5.1 mix.

So how's the music??

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorO  /t/1468779/stick-men-deep-special-edition#post_23222243

Thanks! Have you had the chance to hear the surround mix from the disc?

Yup. I would call it good but not great. Aggressive use of the surround channels. But it rarely feels really immersive like Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms or The Beatles - Love.

Dynamics are pretty good. A quick sampling of some of the louder passages shows RMS level at around -12dB to -15dB. Despite this, I think I'm still hearing some dynamic range compression. I would be interested in hearing others' opinions.

Overall, I found it enjoyable and a good buy. I wouldn't recommend it as a "hey, this sounds awesome and you should buy it even if you're not a fan of the music" disc. But if you're a King Crimson fan or if you like the samples that I linked to above, go for it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for this post, have put order in as King Crimson stuff was new to me when getting the Dvd Audio 5.1 release over past few years and they have been done really well.

Stickmen samples do sound similar to KC so thats a buy for me.

peter

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I received and listened to this earlier in the week. However, I was a bit tired, so my listening was very passive at times...zzzz...so I need to give it another spin to really hear it. However, from what I did absorb, it sounded quite nice. Certainly great musicianship.

shinksma

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Jeff.

Firstly, I'd like to thank you for the kind words on the surround mix, which was done by myself and B.J. Cole, and we had an absolute blast doing it.

I wanted to say that you have very good ears indeed - there is indeed dynamic range compression going on although in a kind of roundabout way - let me try to explain.

The stereo mix was done by Machine and has a very definite & well defined sound, and for the 5.1 mix it was decided to use stems instead of every single individual track because re-creating the processing that had already been carried out would have taken a lot longer and cost a lot more money besides.

So what we ended up with was a huge set of stereo stem parts. This is not as restrictive as it might sound, because all their original FX were printed to file as well - these we recreated for the 5.1 mix but it got us into the same kind of feel that was used for the stereo a whole bunch quicker. Some of those stems were indeed quite heavily compressed although in much more of a deliberate sound sculpting effect as opposed to compressing for volume's sake. We used absolutely no master buss compression or limiting at all on the mix - limiters were inserted in the initial stages, but once the levels were where they needed to be, the limiters were removed as they were no longer needed.

So yes, there is some quite heavy compression, but not for DR reduction purposes.

Glad you liked the disc - what did you think of the live footage, BTW?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts