AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I current have an LG 55LM6700 with Smart TV features. I mostly use the Plex Media Link Client and Amazon App. My Plex Server library consists mostly of ripped bluray mkvs.

We're getting ready to cut the cord and we're thinking about subscribing to either Netflix or Hulu (both of which my Smart TV should be able to handle). Although I have a serious case of upgradetitis right now, so I'm looking into getting a new gadget.

I was wondering if you guys have any suggestions, or if you think I should just stick with my Smart TV. I've been eyeing the Roku 3 for a couple days now. From what I read it can handle Amazon/Netflix/Hulu really well and is also supposed to be able to work good with Plex.

Thanks

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
I just got a smart TV Vizio M-series, and I use their Netflix app. It works well. I was previously using my PS3 for Netflix, but I like just being able to use the TV for that now.

·
Registered
6,232 Posts
Unless you want some really obscure channel options I'd opt for the WD SMP. I plays all the major stuff like Netflix and such and does a great job streaming files.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
chromecast and wd tv live, they both look cool but my problem with them is that they don't have amazon instant video. I buy a lot of stuff from amazon so I have a prime membership, and I would like to take advantage of the free videos that I get with the membership

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Or get a blu ray player that provides internet streaming. The TV is certainly the most expensive place to buy streaming. I agree with Gus. Stupidity is a good thing in TV's.
Smart TV's are for people who don't have a home theater.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GusGus748s  /t/1505438/stick-with-smart-tv-or-get-something-else#post_24077488

I would say buy the biggest non smart LED TV that you can afford and get a Roku box to stream online content.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FMW  /t/1505438/stick-with-smart-tv-or-get-something-else#post_24077541

Or get a blu ray player that provides internet streaming. The TV is certainly the most expensive place to buy streaming. I agree with Gus. Stupidity is a good thing in TV's.
Smart TV's are for people who don't have a home theater.

I already have the Smart TV
and it's working fine for amazon and plex so far. I've read reviews that my tv is a bit buggy for netflix but should work most of the time

I just have this itch to upgrade, so I'm looking for an excuse to buy something, like a roku 3 or some other streamer. I find the smart tv's UI a bit clunky at times but it's usable

I was just wondering how may people have smart tvs but still decided on getting a dedicated streamer, or if you guys can provide reasons to just use the smart tv or get a dedicated streamer. I guess if I want to save money, or if there's really no good reason to buy a dedicated streamer, I can live with my Smart TV.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmovies  /t/1505438/stick-with-smart-tv-or-get-something-else#post_24079792

I already have the Smart TV
and it's working fine for amazon and plex so far. I've read reviews that my tv is a bit buggy for netflix but should work most of the time

I just have this itch to upgrade, so I'm looking for an excuse to buy something, like a roku 3 or some other streamer. I find the smart tv's UI a bit clunky at times but it's usable

I was just wondering how may people have smart tvs but still decided on getting a dedicated streamer, or if you guys can provide reasons to just use the smart tv or get a dedicated streamer. I guess if I want to save money, or if there's really no good reason to buy a dedicated streamer, I can live with my Smart TV.

What TV brand / model did you get. I've got a Vizio 55" M551A2, and Neflix works well. However, if you are watching a TV show, you have to keep pushing play to play the next episode. So, my wife and I usually use the PS3 for Netflix since it automatically goes to the next episode within 15 seconds.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have an LG 55LM6700. Plex app works well. Amazon is ok, UI is a bit clunky. I haven't tried Netflix yet but based on reviews people say it's buggy

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the 55LM7600. Basically the same TV. Netflix Hulu and Amazon all work smoothly for me. I also use Plex. I have a XBOX 360 and a pc that streams video to the TV as well. I have run into any problems. Well I don't like the magic remote or whatever it's called, but the performance has been great.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.