AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a life long crt fan, however, my parents just got a Sony Wega lcd and I couldn't believe how sharp the picture was. I decided right then I was going to go the bright side. I have a Sony XBR300 and am ready to upgrade.

After combing through months of posts I still wasn't sure what I wanted. Off to the stores I went to do some research. As everyone here knows a showroom floor is not the best place to evaluate a tv. I just knew I didn't want a tv with a reflective screen, that was a deal breaker.

All the microdisplays looked basically the same. I started getting frustrated because 4 G is alot to spend on a tv and I couldn't see a difference. One place I went had a Mits 65815 on the floor for the same price as a decent light bulb display. I decided to hell with it. A 9" gun should be able to resolve 1280 X 720 like the dlps can, and the brightness isn't that big a deal for me. So after giving myself a headache trying to split hairs on deciding which microdisplay to purchase I believe I will stick with the dinosaur. Maybe when they come up with a 1080P in the 4G range...

Norm

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have a KP-61XBR300. I think the picture is still very good in HD, plus you have the ability to still watch 4:3 material in it's original aspect ratio. I have considered upgrading a couple of times, but until I can purchase a full 1920x1080 set like Sony's new SXRD Rear Projector, then it doesn't seem to be worth the money.

I recently bought a Sony 34" HD CRT set and I think the picture is pretty close to the XBR, just that newer sets have improved brightness and sharpness, and detail.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm doing it to myself again. I really want one of the new technologys but I think I can get a smoother and more defined image with 9" tubes. I wish the Mits 65815 that I saw would have looked better. I know an ISF calibration can work wonders but I'm still worried. Ohhhhh I'm getting another headache. I finally talk the wife into letting me spend 4200 and now I'm waffling. I have a NEC Xg-85 in my theater and it gives an awesome picture on a 119" screen, even sharper looking than DLPs. I wish I had some reassurances that the Mits could outdo the NEC. I mean it is a smaller screen with bigger tubes so it should yield a sharper picture, right??

Norm

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Arghhh... I think I've now talked myself out of the Mits. For this kind of money I'm going to have to keep the set for awhile and I don't think there are enough HDCP inputs on it to guarantee future compatibility. When HD-DVD comes out it will most likely use HDCP and there is always the chance that the satellites *MAY* turn on their down rezzing schemes so I would need another HDCP input. So that means at least 2 HDCP inputs would be the minimum amount for my satisfaction. The search continues...

Norm

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
Samsung DLPs has two inputs that meets your needs an HDMI and a DVI. I believe some Toshiba models also have to HDMI inputs. Also, you can get a remote controlled external HDMI or DVI external switchbox (HDCP compatible) so you can have up to four DVI or HDMI inputs.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm pretty much back to square one. I've decided that by the time satellites do down rez, receivers and preamps will have hdcp switching. That means one hdcp input is not that big of a handicap.

Norm

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.