AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know these slick rubbery feel remotes that gets sticky and gross after a year or two?
After a long search on many sites and unreliable solutions I made up my own solution which surprisingly is excellent.

I just used some sticker remover solution. Mine is from Holland from HG international BV but I guess you can find the equivalent anywhere.
(it says on the label that it contains nonionics and aromatic hydrocarbons)
Well you just put a few drops on a no-lint piece of cloth and start rubbing the surface. The rubber just comes off easily on the cloth leaving a perfectly neat and clean plastic surface.
What I did to neutralize the effect of the product on the plastic is simply use some very low concentrated soap and and water solution.
I didn't even have to dismantle my remote, a Logitech Harmony 1100.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread.

You said "The rubber just comes off easily on the cloth leaving a perfectly neat and clean plastic surface.". Does it actually remove the rubber? I don't want tue rubber to be removed, I just want to clean it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Resurrecting an old thread.

You said "The rubber just comes off easily on the cloth leaving a perfectly neat and clean plastic surface.". Does it actually remove the rubber? I don't want the rubber to be removed, I just want to clean it.
FWIW, my 10 year old Logitech Harmony One suffered the sticky rubber problem. I used pure isopropyl alcohol on a soft cloth to clean it and it completely removed the rubber leaving a smooth satin surface and even the "Harmony" lettering. I previously tried Windex and Goo Gone with no benefit whatsoever. They just made it even stickier. I did remove the rubber-coated piece before trying to clean it (snapped it off using a guitar pick to separate the pieces) It's a joy to use now that the stickiness is gone. HTH

1 - 3 of 3 Posts