Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all of us newbies here:

what is exactly Stig & Flare?

I did a search on the subject and figured out that stig is adjusted by displaying a dot pattern and defocusing it. You adjust the tabs on the front of the CRT so the dot pattern becomes circular.

Flare is another subject... what exactly are you trying to do here...center the image on the crt? what exactly is a flare anyway?

I hear about toe in alot...what exactly are we talking about here? Is this the mechanical adjustment of the lenses?

sorry for the stupid questions...but I am pretty new to the crt game....

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
No stupid questions here, especially since we lack a sticky post with a FAQ. :)

Go search in the archives for "Holy Focus" by Guy Kuo. It should be a sticky post, but the mods have thus far not made it such. :) He has by far the best description anyone has written on CRT setup, and answers to your questions.

Quickly though, astig is the shape of the dot, while flare is control of the ring which forms around the dot when flare isn't controlled. :)

Toe in is the same as mechanical gun aim, where you physically angle the lens (and the entire CRT behind it) a few degrees to have the 3 images better line up on the screen. The angle used varies by distance from the screen, so it varies for each setup. Nobody worries about the actual angle, they display a pattern on screen and line the guns up watching the screen.

Its worth your time to lookup that Holy Focus post.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Also, since you are using an ECP, look for a post my M NEWMAN titled something like "all ecp owners doing flare, stig, toe-in"...titled something like that...

·
Registered
2,861 Posts

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Guys!

Flare appears to be the centering of the beam in the middle of the gun, this also has the effect of moving the raster around at the tube face. Flare is usually accomplished with magnet rings mounted on the tube neck; stig correction can be passive with magnet rings, where you may get the center of the image right at the expense of the corners, or it can be done in zones with waveforms that drive coils on the tube neck; this allows for corner correction separate from the center for tighter focus out into the corners.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.