AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am approaching the 4mo mark with my Hitachi CRT and I am noticing more and more DLP/ digital set threads here.

Normally, I am the type of person to want the best/latest. But with this TV (and PC hardware - ever evolving) - I wanted what was best for my wallet while performing well.

This is just phenomenal (if i spelled that right). the screen seems to get bigger w/the lights off, lol. I've gotten very used to the size and I absolutely LOVE watching movies with this thing and my NAD 2ch system (yes, I only have 2channels - but they are 2 BADASS channels).

Watching regular tv, I wish it just looked better, but, cable typically is crap anyway, so thank god for DVDs, lol.

Yes, the TV is 265lbs and it is a monster, but that is why I like it. I get alot of "holy ****"s when people see it initially - which makes me grin :)

The Zenith DVB318 is a damn good DVD player too for the money - I just wish DVI looked better (darn white crush)

Just giving an update and saying that I am very glad I went CRT and thanks for all the info during my search (i'm still glad I'm not searching - made me crazy)

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I will totally back up your feelings about CRT RPTVs. The picture quality is truly the best you can get right now in terms of overall purity. I've finally come to realize just how important the black level is to see a truly accurate picture.

I Just bought a 51" Sony WS655 after much debate over the newer types of tvs. These newer technologies are just not there yet IMO. Plasma is the closest but it's still not totally there either. I figure this set will do me just fine for the new 3-5 years and then I can conisder those newer options which will likely offer superior performance to what I currently own.

·
Registered
177 Posts
STILL happy w/my 57S500

I'm also very satisfied with the 57s500, I got mine late june at CC.

I had the same dilemma new technology (lcd, Dlp) but wanted HDTV for the summer Olympics and Football season.

I wasn't going to shell out $5,000 (including taxes and extended sevice plan) with new technology that is not proven yet, when I paid half the amount(including everything) for this beautiful monster.

I agree with you when all lights are out at night and watch HDTV programming or a good DVD , laying back on your recliner, it gives a joy that no movie theater I been too has ever given me.

There is one quirk though, if the tv is on all day after 7-8 hours there is poping sound and it turns off then back on. Don't notice it very often so not too concerned with it for now.

Tell you what this tv Beats out similar rear projection, Samsung to be specific, in the High Definition Quality.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Since we're braggin on the big bad 57s500 ...I'm going on 1 year3months and its impressing me daily. I'm an av store troller and I'm happy I bought what I did when I did. Nothing but the big hd plasmas compare. The hd pictures on this set are truely addictive. I also love dvd and even good analog channels. Since here in Canada the crt ultravisions and director series are no longer sold I think I've got a videophile set that will last many years. I just got an hd dvr so the final peice is hd dvd (blue ray etc)and my dream theater is done (till the next big thing...lol). I love this hobby. BTW to get these big crts by the wife takes 2 big NADS ...lol.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't have the 57s500 - I have the 51s500. But I couldn't agree with you more. I love the pq of my tv.

I primarily watch DVD's using the Momitsu v880 with 1080i over dvi and love the picture.

And it's not even calibrated yet! I almost have all the money I need to have it done up right. I can't wait to see what is in store for me then.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I primarily watch DVD's using the Momitsu v880 with 1080i over dvi and love the picture

I just got the Denon 2910 dvd player, the pq is amazing, it's like watching a movie in HDTV channel (of course there no HD movies yet). This player will be in playing for many years, until the HD dvd players become mainstream.

It took me a number of years and $$$$$ later to complete my setup to my

satisfaction.

Here it is. Let me know what you guys think

Hitachi ultravision 57s500

Denon 2910

Onkyo Tx-Ds797 receiver

Onkyo M-282 Amp for rear back speakers

Philips HDRW720 DVR

explorer 4200HD cable box

Polk Audio RT55 front speakers

Polk Audio CS400 center

Polk Audio FXi50 Surrounds

Polk Audio RT-25 back Surrounds

SVS 20-39+ sub

Panamax 1000+ surge protector

Front speaker and video cables are bettercales rest are monster.

Eventually down the road I probably upgrade to a better receiver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Peteran,

I have the Hitachi 57T500 model and just tried out the Panasonic s97 1080i upconverting dvd via HDMI to DVI. I am quit troubled, because not seeing much difference between 480i to 1080i dvd player. I am using input #1 and Hitachi shows 1080i on screen but not getting the amazing difference that I expected to see using 1080i.

I currently use Dish Network but have tried COMCAST cable with HDTV via component cables. I did not get much improvement using COMCAST HDTV either.

Wondering if my set is defective or if 57T500 is worst than the 57S600. Supposed to be basically the same set.

Are you seeing a major difference with 1080i input???

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hi jkw

The 57t500 is a step down from the 57s500 but it has the same guts.

I have cablevision for HDTV programming via component input 1, the PQ is amasingly real, can't get any better for what I paid for. I have set to night mode and then even lowered more the contrast and brighteness, color temp set to medium, edge enchansment to off.

My brother-in-law has Directv for HDTV and using a 42" Samsung (CRT) his PQ in HDTV programming isn't as sharp as the Hitachi, Not sure if it's Directv or TV.

I heard from the forums the the HDMI to DVI conversion can cause significant loss of signal, or not convert at all, came to the conclusion that your better off upconverting HDMI-HDMI or DVI-DVI.

Since our TV's have DVI I stuck with DVI dvd players, 1st I had the samsung HD841, PQ was ok had no adjustment for the video (little bright)and I was getting DTS dropouts so I returned it, waited 2 months for the Denon 2910 to come out and I'm extremely pleased the the PQ almost HD like.

I'm using 1080i as default both with HDTV and dvd player and have no complaints.

I'm not sure how long you have the TV if adjusments have failed and it's under warranty have it checked out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Peteran,

Thank you for the reply.

I have not been keeping up with comentary with hdmi / hdmi vs. dvi / dvi cables and did not know there maybe degradation of signal. Good to learn that the Denon 2910 has dvi output. I will give that a try. Maybe, I can get the amazing pictures that you are seeing.

Comcast HDTV in Southend Seattle certainly did not look like HDTV at all to me on the 57t500. At one time, I had a Mitsubishi with OTA HDTV that was much better.

My set is under extented warranty. I may have technician come out to check it out to be sure.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think there is some confusion here. The 57T500 is definitly not a step down from the 57S500. Granted the T 500 isn't as popular. If anything I would say it's 1/2 a step up. The display internals are virtually identical. The T500 has all the features of the S500 plus a few minor extra features. The only real difference is cabnet design and colour. So whats your preference? Black (S) or silver (T)?

I believe the models of this series are ranked:

from lowest to highest F and G, S and T (ultravision) and X (ultravision Director series)

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Rabbler is correct on the model info. The s500 was sold through mass merchants like CC, the t500 was developed for smaller retailers but they are identical internally except for a bit higher wattage for the audio on the t500.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Rabbler your are right, my mistake mistook it with the G series. I stand correct that the guts are the same.

What do you have?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I have the T500 and am very happy with it. I was originally going to buy a 51S500, but then decided on a 57" the store I was shopping only carried the t500 in the 57" size because there is only a $150 difference in price and this is the top of the line hitachi avaiable in Canada. No X series available here

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.