AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, it looks like this 3D thing is going to die on the vine. I was really hyped on 3D when it first started up, but now I kinda feel like a dumbass for jumping on the bandwagon so early and spending so much money (the TV and glasses that I bought). I'm not the type of guy that "buys" movies. I'm perfectly fine with watching a movie once, and that's it. I don't usually watch them over and over again, so paying $30 or $40 or anything like that is totally out of the question for me. Even paying $20 seems pretty wasteful.

I thought by now either Blockbuster or Netflix would start renting 3D Blu Ray's, but I guess not. Certainly, I don't expect them to have a huge selection or anything, and I would definitely expect any 3D Blu Ray to have a super long wait, because they wouldn't have that many copies, but I'd be ok with a really long wait, as long as I knew that eventually, one day... I'd get it and be able to check it out really quick.

The idea of renting the streaming version of a 3D movie for about 5 bucks doesn't appeal to me either, mainly because it's not full 1080p to each eye. I guess my only option would be to buy a movie used on Ebay, watch it, then just put it back up on Ebay for somebody else. Sucks...

·
Registered
62 Posts
It takes a while. The industry has always been so protective of any new media format.

And not many 3D titles are out there yet for sale. This will change, as it did with the DVD and blu-ray.

I blame the industry for the lack of 3D titles on disc. Giving this power to the general public

i.e. to buy the latest 3D movie release on a 3D disc (not to mention renting it), sends some cold chill down the industries spine.

They get over that eventually. Usually the prospective sound of cold cash is what it takes to warm their chilled spines.

The fact that they let Vudu stream limited 3D titles is a hopeful sign.

·
Registered
17,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/20778069

3D BD rentals .

I am thinking the OP was talking about renting for a more normal type rental price. That rental site is a rip and they can be since they are the only ones doing it.

I am with you Anthony! Cant wait until we can rent these from Netflix, redbox, etc...... for a fair price.

·
Registered
8,441 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe
I am thinking the OP was talking about renting for a more normal type rental price. That rental site is a rip and they can be since they are the only ones doing it.

I am with you Anthony! Cant wait until we can rent these from Netflix, redbox, etc...... for a fair price.
FACT: If you want to play the early adopter game then you will have to pay a higher price. It has ALWAYS been this way and likely always will be.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by William
FACT: If you want to play the early adopter game then you will have to pay a higher price. It has ALWAYS been this way and likely always will be.
+1

Remember even back then it took NetFlix and Blockbuster a few years before they could pass the discount to the masses.

Well or sell the gears while you can and get off the bandwagon.

·
Registered
17,185 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/20778723

That goes without saying. We can still ***** about it. Makes me feel a little better.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by William /forum/post/20778723

Well, when Blu Ray first came out, it didn't take very long for Blockbuster Online to start renting them, because I was renting the movies all the time. I bought a PS3 at launch, and was renting Blu Ray's immediately after that. This was November 2006, so I'm not sure how long that is after Blu Ray "officially" came out, but I don't think it was as long as the 3D Blu Ray's are taking. Sure, Blockbuster Online didn't have an amazing selection early on, but they had enough, and I had Blu Ray's coming to my house on a regular basis back then. I didn't buy any BD's, and I was watching them every single week via Rental. I remember it did take my local Blockbuster store a bit longer to get the BD's, (online had them first, and only select stores were test marketing the BD's)

·
Registered
29,354 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/20786611

Well, when Blu Ray first came out, it didn't take very long for Blockbuster Online to start renting them, because I was renting the movies all the time. I bought a PS3 at launch, and was renting Blu Ray's immediately after that. This was November 2006, so I'm not sure how long that is after Blu Ray "officially" came out, but I don't think it was as long as the 3D Blu Ray's are taking.

The Samsung BD-P1000 Blu-ray player and the first wave of Blu-ray discs streeted in June of 2006. The PS3 followed five months later.

·
Registered
539 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1 /forum/post/20786611

Well, when Blu Ray first came out, it didn't take very long for Blockbuster Online to start renting them, because I was renting the movies all the time. I bought a PS3 at launch, and was renting Blu Ray's immediately after that. This was November 2006, so I'm not sure how long that is after Blu Ray "officially" came out, but I don't think it was as long as the 3D Blu Ray's are taking. Sure, Blockbuster Online didn't have an amazing selection early on, but they had enough, and I had Blu Ray's coming to my house on a regular basis back then. I didn't buy any BD's, and I was watching them every single week via Rental. I remember it did take my local Blockbuster store a bit longer to get the BD's, (online had them first, and only select stores were test marketing the BD's)

It's one thing to have a BD player and another thing to have a 3D BD player, 3D glasses and either a 3D TV or 3D projector in order to view 3D. Besides, outside of this forum, 3D is despised by most viewers. You're now starting to see a backlash at the B.O. and I agree with other comments about "early adopters". This technology is in a totally different league than your standard Hi-Def playback, IMHO, and I'm not even talking about compatibility issues like active vs passive, frame packed vs SBS... there is no standard across the board like there is for Blu-Ray. This all makes for expensive gadgetry that is not cut out for everybody.

I personally think if you could afford the 3D gear, you can afford to pay $30 for a 3DBD movie and then resale it back on Amazon, Ebay or Craigslist afterwards. I'm more than sure you or anyone else blows $30 a week (or month) on other BS that either goes in one end and out the other (i.e. Starbucks, Chipotle, Subway, whatever) with nothing left to show for it but an empty wallet at the end of the week. Think about it... you bought a PS3 in 2006? Didn't that thing cost $600 back then (if you could find one one in stores)? And you're complaining about $30 today? I said it before, but why the hell do you have to buy the movie "new"? Why wouldn't you buy the "like new" movies on Amazon for under $20? You can then resale the movie for the same price and get your money back and it would be the same as if you rented it (listing cost on Ebay about = to renting a movie) . I don't know, but it seems pretty logical to me. $20 or $30 is still a bargain for something you can keep forever (or rent out to someone) vs. spending the same price for two at your local theater where all you get is memories and a ticket stub. I don't mean to be an ass...feel free to complain, but also know that you're in an elite club having the ability to watch 3D at home. Pretty much everybody today can watch HD at home because of the digital conversion a couple years back, but not everyone can watch 3D at home.

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
I've taken that approach myself. I've purchased a few 3D BD and if I didn't care for it I sold it right away on Amazon. The sells have been quick I might add as a good quality just released used disc will be snapped up quickly. I always sell stuff at a good price point for a quick sell and for 3D disc it amounted to a loss that would equal what a rental would have cost. I'll do that for now but would like Netflix to start renting 3D sooner than later so I can judge if I like a movie by renting first.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
If you only want to rent, I think you're better off seeing it at a theater. The PQ is much better (4k Christies with higher color depth at my theater) plus the big screen. I'll buy the ones I want to keep on seeing.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BishopLord /forum/post/20851974

I personally think if you could afford the 3D gear, you can afford to pay $30 for a 3DBD movie and then resale it back on Amazon, Ebay or Craigslist afterwards. I'm more than sure you or anyone else blows $30 a week (or month) on other BS that either goes in one end and out the other (i.e. Starbucks, Chipotle, Subway, whatever) with nothing left to show for it but an empty wallet at the end of the week. Think about it... you bought a PS3 in 2006? Didn't that thing cost $600 back then (if you could find one one in stores)? And you're complaining about $30 today? I said it before, but why the hell do you have to buy the movie "new"? Why wouldn't you buy the "like new" movies on Amazon for under $20? You can then resale the movie for the same price and get your money back and it would be the same as if you rented it (listing cost on Ebay about = to renting a movie) . I don't know, but it seems pretty logical to me. $20 or $30 is still a bargain for something you can keep forever (or rent out to someone) vs. spending the same price for two at your local theater where all you get is memories and a ticket stub. I don't mean to be an ass...feel free to complain, but also know that you're in an elite club having the ability to watch 3D at home. Pretty much everybody today can watch HD at home because of the digital conversion a couple years back, but not everyone can watch 3D at home.

Dude..... 3D isn't that great that I'm going to go out of my way and buy the damn thing for retail price and then try to resell it back. That's absolutely ridiculous. Again, there are certain people out there, that will buy a brand new Blu Ray for $39.99 or however much they cost, and it's no big deal to them. I'm not one of those people. I'm really only interested in seeing a movie a single time. There are so many good movies that I've never seen, that to see the same movie over and over, just doesn't seem like a good use of my time.

I totally understand that there are other people out there, that would rather watch the same movie repeatedly, because they know they liked it the first time, and to them, watching some misc. movie isn't a great idea for them, because what if it sucks.. yada yada yada.

Also, I'm living in a world with Redbox, NetFlix and Blockbuster Online. I can rent a Blu Ray at Redbox for 2 bucks. I watch unlimited stuff on Netflix streaming for like 8 bucks a month. I have Blockbuster Online, and I'm getting 3 movies in the mail with unlimited exchanges in a store. So, for me to pay more than about 3 bucks to rent a Blu Ray, simply isn't going to happen. I don't care if it's 3D, 4D, 5D or whatever...

3D isn't something just for the Elite either. You can get a 51 inch Samsung 3DTV with like 4 pairs of glasses for about $800 now. When I bought mine, the deal was about $1250. I could have saved $450 by waiting, but oh well, thems the breaks. I'm not a rich man in the least. I just enjoy cutting edge technology if I can get it for a "reasonable" price. I'm also what one might consider a "cheap bastard", so I'm the type that will pass on spending big $$$ for anything. I wait until there is a better option. The idea of buying a movie, and reselling it, just to be able to check it out, is way too much drama, and too much hassle, for too little reward. 3D is cool and all, but I can easily live without it. I don't even get cable or satellite TV. (mostly because I spend quite a bit of time playing video games or surfing the internet, etc) I get OTA High Definition via a roof antenna, and I also use Netflix streaming, and thats about it.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Is there any way to contact Netflix about suggesting to them of having more 3d movies? In their site I could not find a way to just contact them for suggestions. I just bought a 3DTV and disappointed to find no 3d movies to rent except from my cable tv company and PS Store which are expensive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
agree with anthony. I actually paid $5 to watch lion king in 3d from uverse rather than buy something that I'll never watch again. It was the cheapest in the list and I dont care to watch something over and over. we make a big deal when we are gonna do 3d becuase we dont do it ofter so I dont mind spending a few buck once a month. And I hate wearing the glasses anway. not to bach 3d bc we enjoy it but as anthony said we could live without it.

·
Registered
Sonos ARC, Gen 3 Sub, One SL surrounds
123 Posts
I know how frustrating it is to try and get your hands on a 3D blu-rays without having to buy the dang thing. Ive bought close to a dozen or so but those are kids movies and will definitely get its replay value with the little ones.

As for adult action flicks, those are harder to come by. My local video store is starting to carry 3D but I have to train myself to get back into the store after being with Netflix for so long, but canceled out of principle with the rap-age price hikes. So far Blockbuster is the best deal. For 10 bucks a month unlimited blu-ray rentals to your door is the best deal and they've got a few 3D options with more on the way.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.