AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to upgrade the 37" 1080p LCD I have connected to my HTPC. I wanted to get something bigger, about 52" or so.

However, I just looked up some CRT HDTVs, and they are a fraction of the cost. I am a big fan of CRTs, I still use a GDM-FW900 as my desktop monitor for the superb black levels and color accuracy, which to me are extremely important.

So, if I were to find a 1080i CRT of 50" and up, are they worth getting? I mean, I'd be saving about a thousand bucks, and the blacks should be better, no?

·
Registered
81 Posts
The difference is that you'd be replacing with a rear projection CRT television, versus a Direct-View CRT like your FW900 (totally jealous BTW). I suspect that these sets will mostly be bulky and difficult to keep calibrated and maintained, I would avoid them. If PQ is your bread and butter and you have money to spend on something big, go for the Samsung 950 series (LNXXA950), their RGB LED array with dynamic contrast meets most of the blacks and color accuracy of similar plasmas, though they are pricey. If that won't float your boat I'd look for a Pioneer Kuro 50", last years model the Pro-110FD is one of the best TVs ever.

You are right though, Direct-View CRTs are still the best image quality AND by far the best bang for the buck for HDTVs, their rear projection cousins just suffer from high maintenance costs and some image quality issues. If someone had come up for a way to make huge (40"+) tubes really cheaply then they would still be competitive, but as it stands, if you want big the biggest you'll get out of CRT is the Sony 40XBR800 with which will actually match your current TV in 16x9 size and will give you the largest 4x3 CRT screen I think ever existed. It's supposed to be quite the TV.

I for one am happy to live a few generations behind with my Sony Wega 34HS510. Good luck TV shopping, let us know what you choose.

tno

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I am not happy at all with the LCD. I find myself just watching most things on my FW900, just because it's so much more vibrant and accurate. It isn't as sharp or bright as an LCD, but that's an inevitable problem that I'm more than willing to live with considering the benefits.

I see what you mean about projection. I suppose the largest direct-view HD CRTs are about 40", right? The largest I could find was Sony's KV-40XBR700, but I can't find any locally, and they'd cost an arm and a leg (and probably a kidney) to ship here.

So, my choices seem to be: find a 30-40" direct-view 1080i CRT to tide me over until the 2009/2010 models come out, or go with a current model. If I was indeed able to find a direct-view 1080i CRT, would you recommend I get it? How would 1080i TV cap picture quality be compared to my FW900? Edit: I found a KV-36XBR400, any good?

The Kuro seems to be the most reasonably priced of what you listed, how do the Vieras compare?

Edit 2: Man, some of these things are insane. I had no idea they made 4:3 HD CRTs with HDMI inputs, that's just bizarre!

·
Registered
81 Posts
The Viera's aren't really in the same class as the Pro-110FD, the Kuro's are just better TVs. As far as getting a 1080i current model TV . . . well I don't think you'll find any. I think Samsung was the last company still making them, their SlimFit line are well respected for cramming CRTs in a really shallow cases, but the price they paid is even worse geometry than usual. I think, if I were you, I would just put up with what you have till you find a sweet deal on craigslist (that's where everyone finds their awesome deals) and snap it up, then when you've got cash saved up, jump on a really nice plasma or LED-backlit LCD.

That XBR you found is a good one, HiScan (that's not quite their best tube) but without HDMI/DVI. To give you a good idea of the worth of a TV see this link . TVs near the top are the most sought after.

The amazing thing about those CRTs with HDMI is the quality of the digital to analog conversion, these guys had mastered it. The real problem, the geometry of the damn things is just so finicky. Just moving it from point a to point b (say between where you buy it to where you live) is probably enough to mess it up so that when you turn it on you're bound to notice some small corner that just isn't shaped right, or some overscan issue that makes you lose some vital part edge of the screen.

I'm locked into the wonderful world of CRTs for one other good reason. The old WQ (wife quotient). We made an agreement that I could spend as much as I wanted on my home theater, so long as it never exceeds the price of her engagement ring. So if I upgrade beyond that price, I have to upgrade her ring as well. I'm real glad I can drive a hard bargain and have managed to pull off what I have.

cheers

tno

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hahaha, that's great. Just give her an ultimatum: you get your new TV, or else you put an end to the sex.

Great, thanks for all the helpful info! I'll avoid the Vieras. That list is especially useful. I found a KV-30XBR910 on eBay, but they wanted a whopping $204 to ship it to me. Oh well, at least it'll make someone in Colorado very happy. There's also a KD-36XS955 in Oklahoma.

·
Registered
426 Posts
S_G, where are you located?

·
Registered
426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_G /forum/post/15625703

Montreal, Great White North, although officially known as "Canada".

Hmm. Might be a bit too far to drive then to buy my KV-34XBR800 that I am trying to sell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts