Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am new here, and have read an immense about of material in the last month. I would like to solicit some opinions, if you all would be so generous with your time.

I went to Ultimate Electronics last night to look at TVs, as they have the largest selection of any retailer in my area. I looked at the A10, the Toshiba HM95, the Panasonic plasma, and the Sony 34" tube. Further, I looked at the new 1080p sets from both Samsung and Mitsubishi and while I could certainly notice a difference, they are about a thousand dollars more. From what I saw I cannot justify the expense.

First, they have an amazing price on the Toshiba right now, one of which I almost can not really pass up.

The Tube was just too much like my current TV; it weighs a ton, and is not very big, and thus, I ruled it out.

The Plasma, was nice, but I am too worried about burn-in issues.

The Sony A10 has a really nice picture, and I could not notice any SDE unless I was right up on it. That said, the picture was not smooth. Essentially, it seems to skip just a bit when panning, etc. They had an HD demo on this screen as well as many of the others of some Grand Canyon Discovery program. To me, it was very noticeable. almost like the picture was jerking a it. The other DLP screens looked like liquid.

Luckily, I could not see any RBE on any of the DLPs, and I thought the viewing angle of most of them was pretty good. They had better horizontal than vertical, but I watch TV sitting down, so I don't see this as a huge problem. Honestly, I think the Samsumg was a little sharper than the Toshiba, but again, there was a several hundred dollar price difference with the current sale. I am still undecided, but I know that DLP is the way I will go.

From all of the 1080p screens at which I looked, the Mitsubishi was absolutely gorgeous. Looking at this screen (side-by-side with the 720p) I could see a bit more detail in the picture. If one has the ~3k to spend, I do think it is worth it.

One last thing to note: I did see the SXRD, and it was a great-looking TV in a dark showroom. The only problem that I see, is that it has a nasty glare. I am not sure why, but I found it was pretty bad; I could not imagine it in a lit room.

Oh well, those are my thoughts. Anyone have any other suggestions or opinions they would like to add?

·
Registered
15,311 Posts
The perfect TV does not exist (and probably never will). I just comes down to tradeoffs. Bottom line: go with whichever looks best to your eyes. I bought a Sammy DLP 2 1/2 years ago, and love it, so I agree wtih you that, as long as you don't see rainbows, DLPs are a great technology.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.