AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I posted on here a couple of days ago asking for input on whether to buy the Sony 40" V5100 or the Samsung LN40B630. Both are priced at $1000 and I am not looking to spend anymore than that on this TV, as I am a poor college student and this TV is just for my bedroom, I am not looking to make an entertainment system with it. I am still unable to decide which TV to buy. I am looking for a good all around TV, and I will be using it for some SD cable, some HD channels and blu-ray movies, and probably most often for my PS3 and Xbox 360 gaming. I am now open to suggestions for other TV sets to choose, such as a Panny or Sharp. I have heard, however, that Panny makes great gaming TV's, but not so great movie-viewing TV's. I would rather the TV I get be great all-around, rather than great at one thing.

The Samsung LN40B630 seems to be a pretty good all around TV. I know that for movie viewing the blacks tend to be pretty blueish, and for video gaming there is a lot of lag and motion blur.

The Sony v5100 seems to have improved on these aspects. The picture, however, doesn't seem to be as good on the Sony, considering it has an 8 bit panel compared to the 10 bit for the samsung. I cannot comment on the gaming aspect of this TV, as I have yet to hear anything about it.

So what would you all recommend for a TV for me? Should I choose one of these 2 TV's, or go with a completely different TV such as the Sharp E77u which seems to be a great gaming TV? Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You also might want to consider the Panasonic TC-L42U12, which is larger and cheaper than both of those, but it does lack 120hz. It is, however, an IPS panel, and the image quality blows away the V5100 I tried to like yesterday afternoon. Panasonics are also typically very low on input lag (see the love for the LZ800 on this forum), so it should be good from that perspective. Personally, it seems to me like a lot of people turn off 5:5 pulldown on this forum anyway, citing the "soap opera effect", so that would seem to tell me that 120hz is not such a big deal. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Get the Sony -40V5100.

The Sony's engine cleans up SD channel viewing so it doesn't look so crappy. The 120hz will also help you with blu-rays and gaming. Pricing is reasonable too but the only thing that sucks is that cheap looking border.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by botguy2185 /forum/post/16909822

Get the Sony -40V5100.

The Sony's engine cleans up SD channel viewing so it doesn't look so crappy. The 120hz will also help you with blu-rays and gaming. Pricing is reasonable too but the only thing that sucks is that cheap looking border.

I could not get the Sony to look good. I plugged settings from that calibration thread into the floor model, and I had a choice between crushed blacks and washed-out colors.

Also, doesn't 120hz just introduce lag for gaming? I don't see how it could lower lag, since it has to wait for another frame in order to interpolate.

·
Registered
41 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_humbug /forum/post/16909788

You also might want to consider the Panasonic TC-L42U12, which is larger and cheaper than both of those, but it does lack 120hz. It is, however, an IPS panel, and the image quality blows away the V5100 I tried to like yesterday afternoon. Panasonics are also typically very low on input lag (see the love for the LZ800 on this forum), so it should be good from that perspective. Personally, it seems to me like a lot of people turn off 5:5 pulldown on this forum anyway, citing the "soap opera effect", so that would seem to tell me that 120hz is not such a big deal. Just something to think about.

Just an FYI, when you turn off the motion processing on these sets (AMP for example) it does NOT turn off 120 hz or 5:5 pulldown. As a matter of fact you MUST turn the motion processing off to get proper 5:5 pulldown.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_humbug /forum/post/16909960

I could not get the Sony to look good. I plugged settings from that calibration thread into the floor model, and I had a choice between crushed blacks and washed-out colors.

Also, doesn't 120hz just introduce lag for gaming? I don't see how it could lower lag, since it has to wait for another frame in order to interpolate.

Try to turn off motion flow and re calibrate again. I would recommend trying to calibrate yourself as to calibration settings found from other peoples threads. Even something as simple as the monster calibration would help.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by botguy2185 /forum/post/16910400

Try to turn off motion flow and re calibrate again. I would recommend trying to calibrate yourself as to calibration settings found from other peoples threads. Even something as simple as the monster calibration would help.

I don't own the set, and I'm not going to try to learn calibration at BB on a display set.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts