AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm still tinkering with my 435 HK. Keep in mind I'm pretty much using it only as a pre-amp. I do power my rear speakers off the HK but all the rest from my Parasound.

Not sure it's a "keeper" though. Here are the things I don't like

1. Get too hot

2. EZ EQ is far from "EZ"

Things I do like

1. Logic 7

2. Overall sound

If I decide to send it back I'm thinking of trying one of the following.

1. Pioneer 1015

2. Denon 2805

My question is: Do any of you guys have some insight on the Denon 2802 vs. the Pioneer 1015 vs. the HK?

I know they all have a room EQ . I just wonder if one is better than the other?

·
Registered
941 Posts
H/K 435.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Another 435/635 question.

Did I miss something here?

Can you adjust the individual levels while watching a DVD or other source without going into the OSD? For example: My older Denon 2802 would let you push a set up button while watching a DVD and you could back off the sub or increase it to any level you wanted while the movie played. You could do this for any speaker and didn't have to go into the OSD to do it.

Can the HK do this?

·
Registered
8,103 Posts
Yes, the HKs can do that, all the way down to the lowest 125/130/135 models.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, last night I dialed everything in and played around with the EQ on and off.

The EQ does make a nice difference. It makes everything sound more "full".

I put in Moulin Roughe (wifes fav) and after one of the songs she asked If I had done anything to our HT. I asked "why?" She said it sounded much better!

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
HKs are not as user-friendly as say Onkyo, but have superior sound quality and the most conservative power ratings of the mass market receivers. I can't imagine the Denon 2805 or Pioneer 1015 beating it in those respects.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Good to hear you have everything dialed in Allen. The 635 is just great when set up properly. I had posted this in another thread, but with the EQ on, don't be afraid to play with the "tilt" setting to further tweak the EQ to your liking. It is in the EQ menu on the OSD, and when increased, ups the treble energy, and when decreased, lowers the treble energy.

I agree with you that things just sound better, and fuller, with the EQ on. But I found the EQ lowered my treble just a bit too much, so I upped the tilt a few notches, and it brought everything together. Just something else that you may want to experiment with.

And, of course, you can always adjust the bass and treble settings using the "tone" function.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll try the tilt function. Right now I think it might need to come down a bit. Sounds like it has a bit too much treble energy.

So far so good...Your right, the 435/635 is kind of "tricky" but it sure sounds nice!

·
Registered
433 Posts
One thing I really liked about the H/K was the setup mic built into the remote. It may be a small consideration, but you don't have to store the mic somewhere and pull it out every time you want to use the auto setup. With the Denon, the mic is external which you have to plug in (and in the case of the 3805, you buy the damn thing separately).

I've never regretted getting the Denon 3805 for a second, but I was very impressed with the H/K 230.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I didn't care for the autoEQ on the Denon 2805. To me, the HK 1005, even without EQ, sounded better. Now, I'm considering the 435 too. Please let us know how things turn-out for you, allenS. BTW, the learning curve on HKs is steep at first (quirky OSD, EZset, etc), but very easy to use (e.g. changing setting on the fly) thereafter.

Not sure how the HK compares to the Pio 1015. Probably will come down to sound preference, so would appreciate if you do compare the two.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well today at lunch I got out the SPL meter and my Sounds & Vision disk to check what the HK set everything to. The mains and center were pretty accurate. The right main needed to be boosted up a few to match the SPL's with the other two but they were close.

The side surrounds were a few db's off as well. Easy fix though.

The rear surrounds were WAY off. I had to bump them up quite a bit.

I then ran the DTS tests and the needle on the SPL meter went crazy. The SPL readings were way way high when testing DTS signals. Everything was off......so, should I just keep it at the DD level?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Supposedly DTS tracks are recorded +4db versus Dolby Digital tracks, so to get the same SPL of a Dolby Difital track at -20 you should listen to a DTS track at -24. I believe I heard this from the THX post-processing features.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.