AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i have the 36 xbr 400 and have now missed the super bowl and await the sopranos but dont have a box yet? is there any hope or just get the dtc 100 already?

Thanks

·
Registered
83 Posts
Im in the same boat as you, same TV and all! Im starting to wonder if I should save the 200-300 dollars and go buy the RCADTC-100. Im not so sure the sony will be that much better anyhow. Im getting sick of all these delays on the sony unit!

·
Registered
468 Posts
Of course, the question is, how do you have a Sony SAT-HD100 since it hasn't been released yet?

But if you live in L.A. you might work for DirecTv and be a tester of this box?

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

Dave, you coy thing. Please tell us more about the Sony box. How quickly does it tune the OTA stations? How does it look and work and sound and smell?

You know, the truth is, none of these new STB's will change one's life. They are going to work pretty much like the DTC100, hopefully a little better in some aspects (NPI).

thanks, Art

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Art:

And some of us have been watching HDTV on our DTCs for almost 18 months. Go figure. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket!

·
Registered
1,501 Posts

LearningMan,

I am looking forwrd to trying a new STB. I have had a DTC100 for fourteen months and I love HD. I will enjoy trying a new box and buying it if there is some improvement over the RCA unit. I am not expecting very much, though. Years ago when I was more interested in High end stereo I was always amazed that there were people who actually expected their lives to be somehow remodeled by buying the perfect speaker or piece of wire or something. The Emperor's new clothes syndrome was very big.

Enjoy your toys. Art

·
Registered
684 Posts
I gave up waiting for the Sony. I went out and got the DTC-100 last weekend and I'm glad I did. It sure beats "imagining" what Hi-def looks like as I would have to with the vaporware Sony. :) (Rumpole - like you I have the 36XBR400.)

As for the DTC-100 not having the APG I don't find this much of a problem since I programmed my Pronto remote to do the switching for me. The Pronto may be something to consider if you're looking to get a new remote and don't already have the Pronto. Granted it is a bit pricey and you have to spend the time programming if you want to just point and click to flip between inputs and outputs on the DTC-100 and inputs on the TV.

As for the HD the DTC outputs 1080i on the RGB outputs if fed a 1080i or 720p signal and everything else it outputs at 540p on the RGB. Keep in mind that with the Sony XBR that a 540p signal output by the DTC will force the Sony into 16x9 mode and you can't turn it off on the Sony. Thus a 480p broadcast that is 4x3 is converted to 540p and displayed by the Sony with letterboxing on all sides, thus reducing your picture size.

However, the DTC outputs 480i on the S-Video output for everything. You can switch between S-Video and RGB with one button press on the remote. (Granted you (may) have to switch inputs on your TV). You can not have both RGB out and S-Video out active at the same time on the DTC.

There are a number of aspect ratio settings. You can find more information on them in the DTC-100 manual. The manual can be viewed/downloaded at RCA's website. The manual is in PDF format so you'll need Acrobat Reader to view it... http://www.rca.com/documents/15407990_1118_25.pdf

·
Registered
684 Posts
One more thing. OTA broadcasts hands-down just clobber DirecTV broadcasts of the same material. So even if the material is not HD it still looks much better via OTA than Directv's overcompressed, pixelated, mushy feed.

·
Banned
946 Posts
Hey dcchen,

SO YOU REALLY HAVE,OWN,POSSESS,FEEL,TOUCH THE SONY HD100 ???

We all know Sony is vaporware. Are you the same? Here we are waiting for the product to someday show up and there you are stating that you are the ONLY person in the world who owns it. Thanks a lot.

------------------

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yeah, I decided to wait for the Sony due to it's variable output. This will allow me to control the zoom on my TV and use the nice internal line doubler. Let's hope it really arrive by 3/12, which is the latest arrival date that GoodGuys has.

------------------

CC

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
to the xbr 400 users. is there any way to view widescreen full screen like a zoom? its still better thatn a 27" 4x3 but gladiator etc might have looked but not sounded better on vhs...

thanks...

(i do have the pronto, otherwise others in house may never understand how to switch from tv to sat to dvd to vcr to replay)

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recently put a deposit down on a HD100 at my local Soundtrack store. For whatever it's worth, I just got off the phone with Sony customer service, and after a long wait, the guy came back and said the release is supposed to be 'sometime in March'. We'll see. Keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Serotta said...
Quote:
...after a long wait, the guy came back and said the release is supposed to be 'sometime in March'
I'm glad I didn't wait. Last time I talked to Sony customer service they said late February and now they say March. I'm happy with my DTC-100.

[This message has been edited by AtlPaul (edited 02-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by AtlPaul (edited 02-22-2001).]

·
Registered
468 Posts
Well, Crutchfield just posted some new pictures of the SAT-HD100 on their website showing the display on the front . . . so at least something must be coming out of Sony.

Here's the link: http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...8STHD100&a=&o=

If you look closely at the old pictures, the unit is a darker silver with white lettering on the box. The new pictures show a lighter silver box (probably the same color at the SAT-T60) with black lettering on the box (again similar to the SAT-T60). So I would guess the original pictures are of a prototype and these are probably from the real thing.

[This message has been edited by Scott MS (edited 02-22-2001).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.