AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, as an HTPC enthusiast and HUGE film fan, I recently decided it was time for me to look at various protection methods for my data. With a growing collection and more drives then you can shake a stick at, I have explored/researched quite a few options. I decided to test the waters with a small server build with WHS, and only duplicate stuff I deemed impossible to replace. Well, after losing 2 drives of data to this endevor (ironically, the sole reason I considered a server build in the first place), I have come full circle.

Raid, unraid, flexraid, beyondraid, etc all have their share of problems. Hey, nothings perfect and I get that. I just feel at this point, it's easier to just throw caution into the wind and do disc backups of my most precious stuff.

I understand that disc failures typically occur while powering up/down, but with a server, I'm going to be leaving my drives running 24/7.....forever!

In terms of drive longevity, I can't believe that don't affect them negatively.

So, with all that being said, I think I'm just going to continue rolling with as many drives, enclosures, etc running off my main HTPC and call it a day.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Acronis True Image is pretty good and you can compress your full drive images by up to 50%. So, you can put a couple of drive's worth of backups on one spare drive. Run it overnight.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_Tech /forum/post/18260329

Acronis True Image is pretty good and you can compress your full drive images by up to 50%.

If all you're backing up is digital video, you'll be lucky to get more than 1-2% compression. Video files are already heavily compressed. Additional compression will not gain much, if anything. Try zipping or RARing a video file and you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
The only way to truly lower the size of media, whether it be music or video, is to encode it to a lower bitrate.

·
Registered
113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrin /forum/post/18259928

Ok, as an HTPC enthusiast and HUGE film fan, I recently decided it was time for me to look at various protection methods for my data. With a growing collection and more drives then you can shake a stick at, I have explored/researched quite a few options. I decided to test the waters with a small server build with WHS, and only duplicate stuff I deemed impossible to replace. Well, after losing 2 drives of data to this endevor (ironically, the sole reason I considered a server build in the first place), I have come full circle.

Raid, unraid, flexraid, beyondraid, etc all have their share of problems. Hey, nothings perfect and I get that. I just feel at this point, it's easier to just throw caution into the wind and do disc backups of my most precious stuff.

I understand that disc failures typically occur while powering up/down, but with a server, I'm going to be leaving my drives running 24/7.....forever!

In terms of drive longevity, I can't believe that don't affect them negatively.

So, with all that being said, I think I'm just going to continue rolling with as many drives, enclosures, etc running off my main HTPC and call it a day.

So I'm not the only one who lost data to whs duplication... lol... although, I did not really lose much since I had backups of my most important files.

I have my setup something similar to what you want to do, except, I still use whs but without duplication. I simply keep whs as a backup of my movies and keep the "original" movie (and the movie I use for playback) on the htpc.

This way I don't have to backup either (ouside of htpc main os).

I use acronis to backup my computers... don't depend on whs backup/restore since it has never worked for me (the restore part)...

You are right, none of this stuff is perfect... no matter how much anyone wants to create the allusion.

Love my whs... can't wait for V2...

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Using FlexRAID on your WHS allows you to make parity-based backups with zero possibility of corrupting your data. Just something you might want to consider.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/18260849

Using FlexRAID on your WHS allows you to make parity-based backups with zero possibility of corrupting your data. Just something you might want to consider.

I thought about that as an option. If affords protection without having to do 1:1 copy ala WHS duplication. Again, what comes to my mind, if a drive does in fact fail, how protected am I? I mean in a perfect scenario, any of the raid config's should protect my data (in theory).

Again (in theory), I would think just keeping the drives online 24/7 (server) is going to decrease the life of the drive (not to mention INCREASE the chance of malfunction).

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Nothing's perfect, but FlexRAID does work. I've lost a 500GB drive and was able to recover 99% of the data. The only reason I wasn't able to recover 100% is because FlexRAID is a snapshot system. Anything that is added or changed since the last snapshot is not covered, just like with any backup system. I now have it set to sync twice a day, to keep the parity files more up-to-date.

FlexRAID does not keep your drives spinning 24/7. Just like any other backup software, it only spins the drives when it's doing a backup. It should not increase wear to any measurable extent.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by candre23 /forum/post/18260957

Nothing's perfect, but FlexRAID does work. I've lost a 500GB drive and was able to recover 99% of the data. The only reason I wasn't able to recover 100% is because FlexRAID is a snapshot system. Anything that is added or changed since the last snapshot is not covered, just like with any backup system. I now have it set to sync twice a day, to keep the parity files more up-to-date.

FlexRAID does not keep your drives spinning 24/7. Just like any other backup software, it only spins the drives when it's doing a backup. It should not increase wear to any measurable extent.

Do you run FlexRAID within WHS? If so, how easy is the setup?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Yes, I run FlexRAID on top of WHS. It's not difficult to set up (there are very few steps involved), but the web-based UI is not particularly intuitive. Luckily the developer has posted a couple walkthrough videos of the process. Once it's set up, it is pretty much maintenance-free.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I run unRaid as a stand alone and have had no issues. It's got live parity protection, so everything is protected as you right. If you lose one drive, no data is lost (this has been effective for a bunch of users). Unlike a regular raid setup, if you lose 2 drives, instead of losing all the drives in the array, you only lost the data on those two and any additional drives data remains intact. Also, unRaid spins down drives when not in use so it limits the wear on them.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
FlexRaid and UnRaid are very similiar things. FlexRaid is free and can run on Windows whereas UnRaid is not free and must run on Linux.

UnRaid has the benefit of being produced by a company, so support is theoretically better. I cannot say if it is better since I do not use it.

I use FlexRaid and have it setup to automatically sync every night. I use it on my storage server, which is only movies, music, and pictures. Nothing which changes very much. If I wanted to protect something which changed often, I would probably use UnRaid.

The learning curve for FlexRaid is steep, but once you wrap your mind around it you will find it pretty easy to understand. The install process and uninstall process are pretty horrific, but that is just one of those things you get with a free program.

·
Registered
152 Posts
the biggest things that hard drives don't like is power fluctuation and temperature (essentially heat). I have encountered drive failures on startup, but since we generally try and keep all of our drives running, failures don't happen that often. That being said - computers/electronics (and hard drives fall under that) should have a higher failure rate on startup/shutdown than if constantly running. you have thermal change as well as going from a stopped state to a moving state.

You should also make sure drives have adequate ventilation and don't get too hot (even better if you can run them constantly at one particular temperature without much fluctuation).

You should also look at UPS with your server(s). When/If the power goes out, do a safe powerdown. Abruptly cutting power is never a good thing.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Maybe you'd be a good candidate for unRAID. It will provide you with a large NAS appliance. I like it, it's simple and just works. If you understand a few of the do's and don'ts then you'd get along with it just fine (simple things like never double check to use the restore button hapazardly until you know it's required or double check the permission to do a format on good data drives).

Overall, it gives you a simple place to store files. It boots from a flash drive and installs the file system into memory so you don't have to worry about the OS getting randomly corrupted or anything like that. A reboot is just like re-installing the OS. I've had my server running for amny months without rebooting, typically a hydro problem is the only reason it gets rebooted but the last reboot was a few weeks ago to update unRAID. It was up since the end of October before that.

Peter

·
Registered
837 Posts
Why run unraid over flexraid if you're only backing up movies, music, and pictures? I'm looking into backup on my server and having it backup everynight would be fine. Worst case i'll loose whatever rip I ripped earlier that day right? I expect the install to look a little messy since it's free but i'd take that over paying for service. If someone knows the pros vs cons using unraid over flexraid could you please post it.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinm0424 /forum/post/18272831

I expect the install to look a little messy since it's free but i'd take that over paying for service. If someone knows the pros vs cons using unraid over flexraid could you please post it.

Real nice lol, take the freebie so you don't have to pay the hard working developer anything for it. Not only have I paid Tom my money for my pro copy but I've turned on 5 local friends to it and many many online people.

I'm not familiar enough with FlexRaid so I can't do a full comparison to unRaid. I know I love my unRaid server and I am extremely happy with the amount of support you get with it along with the continuous improvements of an already awesome piece of software.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellaireroad /forum/post/18274036

It seems the best of both worlds would be to run WHS, and have the unraid array as a mapped network drive. Anyone doing this?

Running WHS with flexraid would work and not require 2 separate PCs.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drealit /forum/post/18274141

Real nice lol, take the freebie so you don't have to pay the hard working developer anything for it. Not only have I paid Tom my money for my pro copy but I've turned on 5 local friends to it and many many online people.

Who's to say the guy that is actively working on FlexRAID isn't a hard working developer either? It isn't like the guy working on FlexRAID stole it from unRAID and is giving it out for free.

That's like saying buy MS Windows because they worked hard and charge for it and don't install a free Unix/Linux OS
If you feel bad, the FlexRAID developer does accept donations.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts