AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this affecting anyone else?

my HTPC goes into standby when not in use and wakes to record - only problem is the power LED flashes when in standby and is annoying.

is there anyway to stop this and have the LED on when PC is on and off when is off or in standby? can i rewire it so it draws power from somewhere else?

am using an Asus M2NPV-VM motherboard with a Zalman HD160 case (motherboard manual doesn't help, nor does the zalman one..)

appreciate any help

·
Registered
796 Posts
I'd be really surprised if you found an easy way to for that LED to work and not flash in standby. It'd probably bug me too and I'd just throw a bit of black electrical tape over the LED. A cleaner way would be to unplug the LED header (from either the mobo or the front panel, if available) and just have it always off. I suppose you could order the parts and build a circuit between the two, but that's beyond what I'd be willing to do.

Something else you might want to try is change the standby mode, dropping it into S3 vs S1, or vice versa. Depending on how you're going, it might be counter productive though.

·
Registered
414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2C /forum/post/11908948

I'd be really surprised if you found an easy way to for that LED to work and not flash in standby. It'd probably bug me too and I'd just throw a bit of black electrical tape over the LED. A cleaner way would be to unplug the LED header (from either the mobo or the front panel, if available) and just have it always off. I suppose you could order the parts and build a circuit between the two, but that's beyond what I'd be willing to do.

Something else you might want to try is change the standby mode, dropping it into S3 vs S1, or vice versa. Depending on how you're going, it might be counter productive though.

I have an intel mobo and there's a bios setting that controls the LED blinking.

-dickm

·
Registered
76 Posts
If theres no BIOS setting or any other option..

Disconnect the LED from the MB and splice it into the power supply's 5v with a resistor. That way the LED is on only when the PS is on.

Use something between 220 and 250 Ohms @ 1/4 watt should so the trick

·
Registered
796 Posts
Lucky for me he's got an AMD mobo with an NVidia chipset, eh?

I guess it'd go down to the actual BIOS manufacturer then. Do you know who makes the BIOS on your Intel board? Is that a standard option in AMI, Award, Phoenix, or whatever BIOS it is you've got?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Its an AMI BIOS and it just appeared in the latest upgrade. Previous versions didnt have it.

This is from the readme file:

"New Fixes/Features:

 Added setup option to control Power LED Off/Blink in S3 state."

BTW, its an intel 955XBK mobo.

-dickm

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
O2C/dicko2 : many thanks, i'll see what BIOS update gives me in regard to led options (should really have checked that before posting...)

Jdamore : excellent info and just what I needed if the above doesn't work - thanks very much for that!

appreciate responses - this forum responses are spot on. you should see what happened on the Asus forum!!! :-S

cheers

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, i updated BIOS successfully, then got no display either from PCI-E card or on board!

turned out that cos i'd unplugged the power LED from the board, then i got no dispay. plugged back in and straight away, all ok!

however, no add config options with bios so i will go down the route of resistor and alternate power for the LED. luckily enough, my step son is doing a degree in electronics and has all this stuff lying around as well as the expertise! i'll wait til he's back for hols and we can sort it.

just thought i'd update in case anyone else finds same issue. not too impressed with the Asus board and wouldn't recommend it (com port module sold seperate and no chance of finding one of those which also caused me a headache..)

·
Registered
996 Posts
I don't see how unplugging the power LED would prevent the video from working. Are you sure you didn't knock anything else askew? For the record, I unplugged the power LED connector from my HTPC in order to "solve" the blinking LED issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nope - was def the power LED after the bios update! i know it sounds strange, but it was fixed when plugged in!

as i say, motherboard isn't great. i might change now i have a full atx case (zalman 160) to one which has the option to stop flashing the power LED.

the problem is that it's so quiet, we don't know if it's on or off so the LED would be very helpful!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts