AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Canon HG20 camcorder and I've been using it with the quality set to MXP, which I believe is the highest quality possible. With that in mind, I have a few questions.

1) Yesterday when I pulled up the menu on my camcorder I had 29mins of video recorded onto the harddrive. When I checked to see how much hard drive space was left, it said I was using 4GB out of 60GB. Why then, does it take up more room when I put it on my computer? All tolled, I have about 60 mins of footage taking up 70GB of space! Does the camera compress the video somehow?

2) I have an iMac aluminum with an 320GB internal HD. Attached to that, is a 500GB Western Digital external drive. It's working great for backups so far but at this rate I'll be out of space in a very short time.

Is there something I can do to reduce the size of my raw footage on my harddrive (i.e. compress?)?

3) Is there something wrong with the way I have my camera setup? Should approx 60 mins take approx 70GB?

4) I'm wondering if I should wait a while for Blu Ray prices to come down. I could burn everything to a 50GB dual layer BR with an external drive. That would seem to be the best way eventually.

·
Registered
276 Posts
AVCHD consumes about 7-9 GB/hour. I'm not a Mac guy, but I know it does not have native support for avchd and thus must first transform it into a format it understands. It apparently is transforming it into a lossless intermediate form that obviously consumes far more storage (about 10x) the original.

I would not keep this grotesquely large intermediate form beyond the time required for editing. Keep the original avchd files if you want to reprocess them along with any edited results.

The Mac does not appear to be a great platform for avchd storage, editing, and processing at this time. I currently am enjoying the combination of Windows 7. Sony PMB and Vegas Pro.

·
Registered
297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernhtp /forum/post/16940729

AVCHD consumes about 7-9 GB/hour.

I would put that at about 40 minutes per 7-9 GB. IME, it depends on how much action/movement there is in the image. (Note: "Action/movement" does not means sports - it refers to pixels changing randomly.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber_91 /forum/post/16939945

1) Yesterday when I pulled up the menu on my camcorder I had 29mins of video recorded onto the harddrive. When I checked to see how much hard drive space was left, it said I was using 4GB out of 60GB. Why then, does it take up more room when I put it on my computer? All tolled, I have about 60 mins of footage taking up 70GB of space! Does the camera compress the video somehow?

Something is seriously wrong.

Are you sure that you have your numbers right? Did you convert the m2ts format to something else?

·
Registered
1,168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barber_91 /forum/post/16940812

So, anyone know how I can import the AVCHD files to the Mac as they are, without having the Mac "bloat" them?

Toast 10 Titanium Pro can import the files directly for Blu-ray without transcoding to Apple Intermediate Codec or ProRes. You can even copy the mts files off your camcorder and import the mts files in Toast. Toast cannot do manual chapter points which bugs me. I believe Adobe CS4 can work natively with mts files also. Check that one before you take my word for it though. I only have CS3.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts