AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally got my HTPC working great. I've pretty much filled up the 1tb hard drive on it so now it's time to build a storage server. I've been reading all about raid arrays and unraid looks very promising. I like it because from what I've read, it looks to be able to use most of the harddrive space for storage as compared to WHS which duplicates data so you only get half the storage that you put into the box.

I admit that I'm a complete newb at building a server so it will be a learning experience. The server will also have pictures and home videos on it that I would like to be able to access while away from the home and to be able to share with my family. I think this is called FTP, right? Anyway, what raid software would be the best for a newb like me to use for storage and to setup with the ability to remotely download pictures and video?

Thanks for help and information you can share.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I personally like Unraid for my media storage. For access to the basic functions (file serving) it's quite simple to use and set-up. To get remote access and other more advanced functions it gets a little more complicated. WHS is a lot easier to set-up remote access and other advanced functions.

What I would suggest first is to spend some time on the Unraid forums. This will tell you if you can do what you want with Unraid. It will also have some recommended systems as a starting point.

The other thing I would suggest is that if your sure you want to build a server, a system designed for Unraid will work fine for WHS, and vice-versa. So build your system get at least two drives and try out the free trials that each offers. This would be the ultimate test to see if they will do what you want. Then pick one and go with it. Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That sounds like a good plan. Did you have any Linux experieince before using unraid? That is the main issue in a very small list of issues that worries me about unraid. I guess if I can't figure out the trail, I'll just stick with WHS.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Seriously, the hardest part about unRAID is making sure your hardware is compatible. Can be circumvented by only buying motherboards and SATA controller cards that have already been tested with unRAID. There's a WIKI for tested hardware.

Installation is darn easy - it's just like making a LiveUSB (which, when you think about it, is what unRAID is). If your hardware dies, assuming your hard drives and flash drives are still intact, you can just move them over to new hardware (even something that's completely different) and boot from the flash drive. No pesky re-installation as is required in Windows.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspearm1983 /forum/post/19538838

That sounds like a good plan. Did you have any Linux experieince before using unraid? That is the main issue in a very small list of issues that worries me about unraid. I guess if I can't figure out the trail, I'll just stick with WHS.

FWIW, I setup my own unRAID box and I barely know linux...

it was fairly straight forward and simple...

just to define "barely know Linux"

cp = copy

rm = remove/delete

ls = dir

mkdir = make dir

auto completes stuff for you, ie ls /bo will fill in the "ot" to get you to ls /boot

ls /dev shows you all the devices loaded/available...

and that's pretty much all I know of linux... and I really didn't need to know any of it... unraid just worked...

but the ls and thingy came in handy for just looking/playing around...

·
Registered
368 Posts
While I agree that setting up and using Unraid is pretty simple, doing things that aren't built in gets a little more complicated. I've been able to accomplish most of what I've wanted to do by simply reading up on the forums and just typing what they say in the command line.

What I was saying is that you should research what you want to do (remote access) on the forums. The people there are very helpful. Then try out the free version, and see if you can make it work. You claimed your a newb, I just didn't want you to get in over your head and get frustrated. If you take it slow and do your research it's definitely doable. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Presently, unRAID is not very suitable for opening to incoming connections from the internet. You would be best to it by using an intermediate device to provide extra security. For example, run sharing software on a PC and link to the server or have a firewall which provides some type of log-in access. I'm not an expert because I don't want to do this and have never tried so I'd suggest you go to the unRAID forums and do some reading.

unRAID is designed to be a network storage device and it works VERY well for that purpose. However, it's up to you to figure out how to impliment anything above that basic functionality.

Peter

1 - 8 of 8 Posts