AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know anything can look bad with faulty set up but help me understand this because I am a newbie and I want to buy a dvd with dvi capability.

Problems witnessed:

Picture would not sync initially until the unit was shut off several times and the picture also disappeared when switching to different inputs on the Panny.

PQ viewing Desperadoes (a super bit) was terrible. I toggled through 480i, 730P, and 1080i on the Sammy (all worked) but there was no apparent difference in PQ. The Sammy would show no picture when the progressive scan button was depressed on the front panel . It would display only when the same button was disengaged. Is this normal? Is this a broken unit? It was definitely connected to the Panny via dvi because the Panny only works in Digital mode when there is a signal to the DVI connection to the set.

I had just barely convinced my wife to come and see this dvd player and she concluded (as I agreed-- reluctantly ) there were too many problems, not a better picture than our 5 year old Panasonic 'non progressive dvd'.

What went wrong?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Sounds like they only had the DVI connected,and no component hookup.

Plus,If the monitor was setup as they usually are in stores,it was almost in torch mode.It is always best to take one home and try it out and take it back if you dont like it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I would switch thru the different inputs on the Panny and would eventually get snow when switching back to the DVI input.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok so maybe the component connection was not hooked up. That shouldn't disable the progressive scan feature via DVI, should it? And I wasn't interested in component PQ. I know what that looks like.

The incoming signal input to the Panny was set @ Auto (as opposed to 720P or 1080i) will that make a difference in the Panny PQ?

Does the progressive scan feature become disabled through DVI? Based on what I read here I strongly assume no. Because I got snow when enabling the progressive scan button I guessed the Sammy might be defective.

I want to go back & try again but not without a plan to make the combination work and work correctly.

Input please. Mr. Arun if you would indulge me in my newbie questions I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
OHHHH! If you got any snow at all they probably had the dvi plugged into a monitor that had a DVI connection but,not an DVI-HDCP(copy protected device) This has been a common problem.If the DVI input on the tv is not hdcp compliant,all you get is snow.

·
Registered
824 Posts
The left button toggles the DVI output: 480p(red), blue(720p), green(1080i). There is no 480i DVI.

The right button toggles the component output from 480i to 480p. When 480p(blue on) is selected, DVI is disabled. On my XBR910 this means that the screen goes black.

Since DVI affects how a particular TV's internal circuitry is used, there is no assurance that how it looks on one TV will be how it looks will be how it looks on another TV.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And today I got better results but still an overall dark overlay to the picture. I could brighten a bit but only through the Panny adjustments.

I figured out also about the progressive scan button disabling the DVI but is progressive still functional through DVI?

Still could not get the component outs to work so we could a/b the DVI vs components.

But I think the Sammy can be further tweaked to improve. So there is promise here.

Does anybody know what the A or B function selection in the Sammy DVI menu means or does?

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
You can get 480p,720p,and 1080i thru the DVI.

You have to push the left(dvi video) button to red and the right(progressive scan) button to blue to enable the component out put.

the a/b is for centering the picture on a crt display.It is not needed for a fixed pixel like plasma display.It has to do with crt monitors being centered to the tri level sync pulse.plasmas do not use horizontal sync for positioning. red only=480pthru the dvi

blue only =720p thru the dvi

green only= 1080i thru the dvi

red+blue=480p thru the component output.

·
Registered
13,483 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by theob
Still could not get the component outs to work so we could a/b the DVI vs components.
Component output is supposed to be disabled at anything over 480p when a copy-protected DVD is played. This is not the fault of DVD player but the license requirement of the movie.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxbat121
Component output is supposed to be disabled at anything over 480p when a copy-protected DVD is played. This is not the fault of DVD player but the license requirement of the movie.
Not really, there are two chips one for component and one for DVI. The chip for component can only do 480p, copy-protected or not.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Exactly Ein,My 931 plays everyhting and anything,copy protected or not.

Also,I get all the player menus thru the dvi just like component.you can change the a/b in dvi.Your set must be DVI HDCP

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Hmm, my experience is (and the manual says) that using progressive turns the DVI connection off. I'll try it in 480 mode. It would be nice if it works since you have to use 480 on 4:3 material if you don't want it stretched (and who does?).

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HTCrazy
Hmm, my experience is (and the manual says) that using progressive turns the DVI connection off.
I agree. Greg Roger's review says it also.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxbat121
Odd, 480p is the native format of the DVD, which means upscaling it to 1080 doesn't really add any new information.

Why would the license require that copy protected DVD's be limited to 480p? That's already the actual resolution of the disc and upscaling it just makes it fit an output device with higher resolution.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.