AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed at length in the Audyssey FAQ, where it mentions only 1 curve can be stored at a time, even though some AVRs or prepro's allow you to do a 2nd measure and recall back to the 1st if that original is better.

I am primarily using my LED TV, but I also have a large 16:9 electric screen that has acoustic fabric, center speaker is behind it. Obviously if I rerun XT32 because of the screen fabric blocking the center speaker, it will try to compensate for high freq rolloff or any other anomolies created by the fabric in place. But for the occasional time I watch a movie on the big screen with the family, we then roll it up and go back to the LED display for everyday watching.

Is there any way, even via the Pro Kit, to allow multiple curves to be stored and recalled (one for a flat screen open speaker setup, the other with the screen down in front of the center speaker).

BTW, my prepro is the Marantz AV8801

Thanks
Neil

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I am going to have to read up on Web Control and see how to access this. Can I use the Marantz menu to access file save option over the network to a NAS, and then same menu to load from same network NAS ?? Or is Web Control more of a coded RS232 serial thing ??

Thanks
Neil

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I know this has been discussed at length in the Audyssey FAQ, where it mentions only 1 curve can be stored at a time, even though some AVRs or prepro's allow you to do a 2nd measure and recall back to the 1st if that original is better.

I am primarily using my LED TV, but I also have a large 16:9 electric screen that has acoustic fabric, center speaker is behind it. Obviously if I rerun XT32 because of the screen fabric blocking the center speaker, it will try to compensate for high freq rolloff or any other anomolies created by the fabric in place. But for the occasional time I watch a movie on the big screen with the family, we then roll it up and go back to the LED display for everyday watching.

Is there any way, even via the Pro Kit, to allow multiple curves to be stored and recalled (one for a flat screen open speaker setup, the other with the screen down in front of the center speaker).

BTW, my prepro is the Marantz AV8801

Thanks
Neil
What's the screen?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jaddie:

Actually I am jumping ahead of myself. The screen is a Draper 92" 16:9 Silhouette (electric). The current fabric is an older High Contrast Grey, for back in the days when I had projectors with weaker contrast levels. I have been wanting to change the fabric for years, but now with my center speaker back there, I spoke with Draper and the ideal material is their ClearSound WhiteWeave XT900, which I am about to order and swap/install.

I know that even with the ClearSound fabric, there will still be some high freq issues as well as sound impacts to the center, and I am guessing that Audyssey will pick up on that and try to compensate. That for me will be the "Projector Curve", but once I roll up the screen, I want to be able to reload my "LCD/LED curve"

Attachments

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Jaddie:

Actually I am jumping ahead of myself. The screen is a Draper 92" 16:9 Silhouette (electric). The current fabric is an older High Contrast Grey, for back in the days when I had projectors with weaker contrast levels. I have been wanting to change the fabric for years, but now with my center speaker back there, I spoke with Draper and the ideal material is their ClearSound WhiteWeave XT900, which I am about to order and swap/install.

I know that even with the ClearSound fabric, there will still be some high freq issues as well as sound impacts to the center, and I am guessing that Audyssey will pick up on that and try to compensate. That for me will be the "Projector Curve", but once I roll up the screen, I want to be able to reload my "LCD/LED curve"
Since you're changing the fabric anyway, get a little extra and make up a piece you can fit over the center speaker (or just the tweeter) when the screen isn't down. Remove it when you drop the screen. That way it always has the "screen" in front of it. One calibration. Done.

Of course, the loss curve is less than 1dB across any frequency you could actually hear the change, dropping to 2dB at 16KHz, which frankly is inaudible anyway. But the above solution will permit obsession/perfection to be satiated.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jdsmoothie:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Found the details and backed up my settings, love the Web Control interface concept, very slick.

jaddie:

Not a bad idea, but I don't think it would look good having a piece of fabric sitting in front of the cabinet, not to mention that an entire screen will have a different effect vs a smaller piece of it. Honestly, it's not like I sit down to watch a movie on the big screen every single night, so when it is time for family movie night, I don't mind spending 30 sec firing off a reload of a config file, and by the time I go downstairs, it is ready to go.

Thanks everyone for your input and guidance, very much appreciated !!

Neil

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
jdsmoothie:

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. Found the details and backed up my settings, love the Web Control interface concept, very slick.

jaddie:

Not a bad idea, but I don't think it would look good having a piece of fabric sitting in front of the cabinet, not to mention that an entire screen will have a different effect vs a smaller piece of it.
It could go behind the speaker grille cloth...
Honestly, it's not like I sit down to watch a movie on the big screen every single night, so when it is time for family movie night, I don't mind spending 30 sec firing off a reload of a config file, and by the time I go downstairs, it is ready to go.
I don't remember it being that easy, certainly not that fast. And you need the Pro software, which comes with the kit for $$$$hundred. (edit: I could be wrong about that...haven't tried the Marantz stuff much, could be quick/easy)

You're worrying about an inaudible difference, but the presence of screen fabric in front of a tweeter will actually do the trick. And could be dyed black, if it's fabric, and made into a removable panel that would swap in seconds.

Actually the variance in response over the 20Hz to 12.5KHz can be normalized to +/- .5dB, which is basically within calibration error of every system in the chain from the dubbing stage to BD mastering to your system. Just changing seats in your room will change the 16KHz response more than 2dB.

But we all get to pick what we obsess about, so have fun Neil. That's what this goofy hobby is all about.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
jaddie:

Obsessive is my middle name, why do you think I have an RTA in my rack (see attachments) :)
As jdsmoothie pointed out, once Web Control window is open in a browser, the backup of all parameters (incl Audyssey) literally took 10 min, just like it said in the manual. Now, I have not reloaded the config file, but the reload option is right there with the backup option. I clicked on it, and it asked to point to the config.bat file just backed up, and off it goes. I expect it to take about the same amount of time. So no pro software needed at all, built right into Web Control.

I'll keep your suggestion in mind about ordering more screen fabric for placing in front of the center speaker, but if the variance is as you said, I might not make a big deal out of it. From the reviews I have read, the Draper CineSound fabric is pretty good, mainly because it is a weave and not a perforated layout.

Thanks
Neil

1 - 10 of 10 Posts