AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a store that you can listen to some of the higher end HTIB setups? A coworker is looking at some of the Onkyo setups and he wants to test them out. I have been trying to tell to save his money and build his own setup, but he just has to have it for Christmas. The only thing we really have around here is Best Buy. We live in downtown Boston. Would be willing to take a short trip if needed.

Are there any systems I should push towards in case he wants to upgrade in the future. He is looking at a 5.1 system in a small Boston apartment.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He said no more than $850. Again, I tried to explain that he could do a lot more with that money in terms of getting better quality, but he really does not want to do all sorts of research and just want to set something up and use it right away. I think his best bet is the Onkyo TX93000. Even though that is a 7.1 system, he can just use it as a 5.1. Plus, with that receiver he can always make some upgrades if he so chooses. Am I correct in my thinking?

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmclain73 /forum/post/0

He said no more than $850. Again, I tried to explain that he could do a lot more with that money in terms of getting better quality, but he really does not want to do all sorts of research and just want to set something up and use it right away. I think his best bet is the Onkyo TX93000. Even though that is a 7.1 system, he can just use it as a 5.1. Plus, with that receiver he can always make some upgrades if he so chooses. Am I correct in my thinking?

That certainly ain't a bad place to start but can he handle speakers that large in

His apartment? What is the actual dimensions of his viewing room?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well after some dental bills the budget gas come down to $500-$600.

We actually got to listen to a Onkyo 5300 setup at Sears. The Onkyo 6300 is still in his budget if ordered online. The only problem I see for him is when looking at his entertainment center, and taking some measurements, he will only clear the top of the receiver by 2 inches before the next glass shelf. The left side of the receiver will be wide open and the back of the receiver will have about 5 inches before it hits the wall. The right side side of the receiver will have a comcast box about .5 inches away from it. Onkyo's tend to run hot so he may get some overheat issues, unless this is enough to vent the heat out the left side and through the back.

I am also starting to plant the idea of him getting the Pioneer 1020 and match it up with a 5.1 setup. You can get the pioneer for $350, that would leave $250 for a 5.1 speaker setup.

Know of any good 5.1 speaker setups for around $250 that would keep him happy for a few years, or is the onkyo 6300 still a better way to go for $500. Is the heat from the onkyo going to be a porblem?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmclain73 /forum/post/19676981

Onkyo's tend to run hot so he may get some overheat issues, unless this is enough to vent the heat out the left side and through the back.

He definitely needs to move air in there, unless he likes to take his receiver in for service every few months.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I can feel your pain in trying to find a place to listen to HTiBs. I found one place, Ultimate Electronics, that has a few of the setups mentioned in this forum. I was able to check out the 591BA, Klipsch and Jamo 5.1 speaker packages. The closest Boston locations are Danvers, Salem (NH), and Leominster. If you go to their webpage, check out the store sales flyers. Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.