AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
6 months ago we decided to sell our house and in order to do some work in the theater room, I took down the Sony VPH-1271Q. We have since decided to wait at least till next summer to sell. Long story short, I am not going to rehang the projector. I put it in it's road case and wonder how long it is safe to store it away. Should it be flat or on its side. I thought about ebaying but shipping is a hassle I am not willing to mess with. Would it be best to part out such a machine. Figuring in the future when there are no tubes left to buy, someone may pay a premium for a set of used tubes or a working power supply. It only has a little over 3000 hours on it.

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
I'd store it flat, and try and sell it to a friend.

If you do part it out, I might be interested in the tubes. Frankly, with a road case, shipping isn't an issue at all.

Curt

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
The best way to store a CRT PJ is to send it to me. I will store it for you and give it a few hours of running regularly to prevent damage...

Roland

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
When I sold my 8000, the buyer FedEx'd his road case to me. I then put he PJ into his road case and he had a shipper come and pick it up from me.

The only labor I put into the whole thing was removing the 8000 from the ceiling and dropping it into his road case. All transactions should be that easy.

From looking at the road case, I can't see how anything could damage the projector inside. Those cases look indestructible and I'd love to have one for myself.

·
Registered
852 Posts
I had my 1272 in a road case sitting in my garage for a couple years (stored on flat side). I fired it up this weekend to get some SS and it worked fine.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the info. I don't have a garage but have a small storage room. I would have to store it on it's side so it wouldn't take up too much room. Of course my wife wants it out of the house or on the ceiling.

CZ Eddie - What shipper did you end up using?

I went on UPS website and put in weight and dimensions and it was about $150 in shipping. It also said you could have them do a pickup. Is this all true? Or am I not reading a disclaimer somewhere on the site. If it is that easy I would go ahead and put it up for sale. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
John, I don't know what shipper was used. The buyer took care of that as well.

I'm not sure, but I think UPS and FedEx have weith limits and these projectors are too heavy?

·
Registered
18,506 Posts
No no, NO UPS!

www.freightquote.com or Forward Air if within the US is the only way to go.

Curt

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I remember reading about Curt's problems with UPS. It seems like mailing things this large and fragile can be a major headache. I checked ebay and they had a couple for sale. The one that would ship was getting more than I was thinking about asking for mine but the one who said local pickup had no bids. Something to think about. Too bad we don't have the for sale section on here anymore.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, my wife wants to convert our storage room into a bedroom so that is going to force me to try and find a new home for my projector. Before I ebay it, if anyone wants to find out about it, pm me and I will give you the details. Preference to anyone in the Atlanta area. Originally bought this from Chuchuf (Terry).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.