AVS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was just wondering what the best method would be to store an i-1pro when not in use to help to prolong it's Accuracy.

I have read that moisture obsorption by the optics can be an issue with colorimeters and there for are best kept in A sealed container with some type of moisture scavanger to help slow the moisture up take thus prolong the meter's accuracy. But I am unsure if the same rules apply for the i-1pro(spectroradiometer) Any help would be greatly appreciated.....

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have consulted SpectraCal, who I purchased the i-1pro/CalMan bundle off But still have'nt got an answer as yet, so I thought i would ask the AVS members here so when my i-1pro arrives I will be set....

·
Registered
773 Posts
I currently have mine in the old style CalMAN case with my Chroma5 and a Peli desiccant :

I imagine that the same rule applies to Spectros as it does with colorimeters: keep them out of light and away from moisture. (hence the desiccant in the case)

·
Registered
3,857 Posts

Quote:
I imagine........

Here you have your answer. Someone's imagination.
Quote:
I have consulted SpectraCal

SpectraCal didn't design and build your equipment. Contact X-Rite. They are the manufacturer and the ones you will receive re-certification/calibration/repair services from. They are the experts on the device. Don't you think first-hand facts are preferable to second or third-hand information? Forums are great places to get speculation, presumption and imagination. If you want the truth, go to the source.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewfee /forum/post/14244162

I currently have mine in the old style CalMAN case with my Chroma5 and a Peli desiccant :

I imagine that the same rule applies to Spectros as it does with colorimeters: keep them out of light and away from moisture. (hence the desiccant in the case)

Thankyou for taking the time to post A photo and answer to my Question.....

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB /forum/post/14244296

Here you have your answer. Someone's imagination.

SpectraCal didn't design and build your equipment. Contact X-Rite. They are the manufacturer and the ones you will receive re-certification/calibration/repair services from. They are the experts on the device. Don't you think first-hand facts are preferable to second or third-hand information? Forums are great places to get speculation, presumption and imagination. If you want the truth, go to the source.

Sorry GeorgeAB but what is your problem, For your info I have also emailed X-rite 2 days ago but have'nt herd back so why not ask people in the know from this thred. I can understand where you are coming from but let me make up my own mined as to what answers I get hear...

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I don't have the problem at issue here. People come here for help. I don't consider imagination, speculation, guessing, wondering, here say, etc., to be of much help. I don't know the answer to the original question, but I know how the answer can be authoritatively obtained. My advice was to consult the source.

Myths and inaccuracies are pervasive and prolific in forum communities because readers settle for and/or contribute speculation, rather than exercising due diligence to obtain and document the facts. This is the AV Science forum after all, isn't it? Shouldn't that mean something?

·
Registered
3,857 Posts

Quote:
For your info I have also emailed X-rite 2 days ago but have'nt herd back

Perhaps you will inform us all of what they say when you hear back from them. That would be helpful to a lot of folks who own the same equipment you do. Especially the one's who may not have even considered that storage methods could affect the performance of the device.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

·
Registered
687 Posts
My I1 has been hermitically sealed in a mayonnaise jar on Funk and Wagnall's porch since noon today. Only YOU in your divine wisdom can ascertain the best method to store your sensor.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Well I apologise then GeorgeAB, I was only trying to help. It may not be beneficial, but I don't see how keeping the sensor out of light when not in use and away from moisture would be detrimental. Hopefully cinema mad will hear back from X-Rite soon.

I've had a quick look through the information on the CD that came with my i1Pro and these are the only relevant warnings I can find:
  • Do not expose the Eye-One to strong electromagnetic radiation.
  • Do not use the Eye-One in environments with temperatures higher than 35°C or less than 10°C.
  • Do not store the Eye-One in environments with temperatures higher than 50°C or less than -10°C.
  • The Eye-One must be protected from chemical agents, corrosive vapors, strong vibration and mechanical impact.
  • To avoid damage, the Eye-One must always be shipped in the original packaging.

It also mentions that the ambient light attachment should always be stored in the box provided.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
No apology is necessary. Thanks for the authoritative details. Public forums are full of good intentions, as well as bad and clueless ones. I assumed you meant well but you likely will agree that good intentions don't accomplish much good if the information isn't correct.

I have been coming to this forum since 2002 for information that I can use to solve problems and/or enhance my enjoyment of audio/video equipment and programs. The time I devote here is intended to be mutually beneficial. My contributions here are as an imaging science advocate, seasoned industry professional, and avid hobbyist. Sometimes I might be a bit clumsy in my efforts to promote excellence in all those categories. My intentions are usually good, though.

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad /forum/post/14242473

Hi, I was just wondering what the best method would be to store an i-1pro when not in use to help to prolong it's Accuracy.

I have read that moisture obsorption by the optics can be an issue with colorimeters and there for are best kept in A sealed container with some type of moisture scavanger to help slow the moisture up take thus prolong the meter's accuracy. But I am unsure if the same rules apply for the i-1pro(spectroradiometer) Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad /forum/post/14244067

I have consulted SpectraCal, who I purchased the i-1pro/CalMan bundle off But still have'nt got an answer as yet, so I thought i would ask the AVS members here so when my i-1pro arrives I will be set....

Sorry about the non response. We do usually reply within 24 hours. I went back and looked but did not see the email.

Anyhow, even thought we are not the manufacture we are a x-rite OEM so we do represent the manufacture so this is not second or third hand information as stated by some.

The i1Pro has sealed optics so no special handling other than normal room temperature ranges and no drop kicking it. It does not hurt to take the extra precautions, like a nice sealed padded case. The ambient head does need special handling and should be stored in its carry case to keep environmental contaminates to a minimum. The flash tube in the i1Pro is replaceable by opening the front head on the meter but it should only be done by x-rite to make sure no contaminates get in with the optics open.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thankyou for your info derekjsmith I appreciate it, I would like to add that SpectraCal has been great to deal with. FWIW My Email,s were sent as an attached Reply from one of the emails LA and I were having after I bought the I1pro/calman bundle last week....

·
Registered
3,857 Posts

Quote:
even thought we are not the manufacture we are a x-rite OEM so we do represent the manufacture so this is not second or third hand information as stated by some

derekjsmith,

Thanks for the details.....I think. For clarity, "as stated by some" would be me. I'm somewhat confused by the statement I've quoted above. Lately, I've been seriously evaluating your CalMan software for use with my GretagMacbeth EyeOne Beamer (earlier incarnation of the i1 Pro). I like to understand correctly what sort of companies I do business with. Are you an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) for X-Rite or is X-Rite an OEM for you?

I have maintained an OEM relationship with GretagMacbeth (now X-Rite) for almost 9 years. What this means is, I use products they manufacture as components in products I manufacture. Do you manufacture something that X-Rite uses, or is it the other way around?

Best regards and beautiful pictures,

G. Alan Brown, President

CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

·
Registered
1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeAB /forum/post/14251208

I like to understand correctly what sort of companies I do business with. Are you an OEM (original equipment manufacturer) for X-Rite or is X-Rite an OEM for you?

I have maintained an OEM relationship with GretagMacbeth (now X-Rite) for almost 9 years. What this means is, I use products they manufacture as components in products I manufacture.

We are similar to you and are an OEM of x-rite. So we stock, sell and support the Chroma5, i1Pro and Hubble for resell in our bundles with CalMAN. Not that we make much on the hardware we just wanted to be a one stop source for the pro calibrator. We are also working on setting up re-cert services later this summer for the Chroma5, i1Pro and Hubble with help from x-rite.

BTW, I have some of your lamps you OEM from GMB; I use them for spectral and luminance testing.

If you have any questions about CalMAN, SpectraCal or any features you would like to see let us know. We feel this is one of the many areas we are very strong in and have been very successful in previous companies we have built using this philosophy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts