AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if this is the wrong section, but I really couldn't think of anywhere else to put this....

Since my Blu-Ray collection is slowly growing, it's becoming a space issue, which could be a problem when I move back to school in a couple of weeks. I have binders that I keep my DVDs in and so far no problems, but I was wondering if it's alright to store Blu-Rays (as well as some HD DVDs) in there as well... any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
I have binders that I keep my DVDs in and so far no problems, but I was wondering if it's alright to store Blu-Rays (as well as some HD DVDs) in there as well.

It's Fine

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I have a serious issue about storing DVD's in thing like that, just because they're just as apt to scuff in there as a CD might. However, if you had no issues, then I would say that it's even better for your BD's to be stored in there than your DVD's, since BD's have that scratch resistant coating.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman /forum/post/17010393

I have a serious issue about storing DVD's in thing like that, just because they're just as apt to scuff in there as a CD might. However, if you had no issues, then I would say that it's even better for your BD's to be stored in there than your DVD's, since BD's have that scratch resistant coating.

I agree that those binders can scuff your discs, so I would rather store them in their original cases as they provide better protection.

As for those scratch resistant coatings, I don't know how well those work. I received my first scratched BD from Blockbuster Online last week and it caused the movie to skip a few times during one part of the film. Since there was a scratch on the disc, this pretty much proves that those coatings aren't as great as people think they are. So, in other words, handle your discs with care.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraffle /forum/post/17010753

I agree that those binders can scuff your discs, so I would rather store them in their original cases as they provide better protection.

As for those scratch resistant coatings, I don't know how well those work. I received my first scratched BD from Blockbuster Online last week and it caused the movie to skip a few times during one part of the film. Since there was a scratch on the disc, this pretty much proves that those coatings aren't as great as people think they are. So, in other words, handle your discs with care.

Well it's not impermeable, it's more resistant. There's a difference. I've received Blu-ray discs in the mail where the disc was definitely not on the spindle inside the case. I remember one of the Futurama Blu-ray discs, Transporter 3... they clearly were moving around. Opened up the case and looked on the back of the disc, and nothing. No scuffs, no scrapes, no nothing. If those were DVD's, they would have been an instant return for me for sure.

How people handle their Blu-ray discs is another beast altogether. We know that these discs by Hollywood Video or Blockbuster or Netflix are handled by many people, and some who don't care to take care of a product if they don't own it themselves.

This is very problematic for Blu-ray discs. The information layer is closer to the outer layer on BD's than the info layers in DVD's. That means that even minor scrapes or scuffs can cause the disc to skip and freeze. I remember buying Benjamin Button at Target, where very minor ring was around the edge of the disc, incredibly minor. It was from the factory though unfortunately, the next disc I returned it for had the same issue. Both froze in the exact same spot, as they had the same markings on the same discs. It was an issue. Bought the disc at another store that had another batch of discs, and it was fine.

The Blu-ray coating is fantastic, but if not taken care of, then you'll have problems down the line. This is why I don't rent Blu-ray discs anymore, too many issues because of this.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzupeman /forum/post/17011222

How people handle their Blu-ray discs is another beast altogether. We know that these discs by Hollywood Video or Blockbuster or Netflix are handled by many people, and some who don't care to take care of a product if they don't own it themselves.

And that's what puzzles me. Even if people mishandle these discs, it shouldn't have a scratch. I heard with these scratch resistant coatings, you have to make one heck of a nick to ruin a BD. So, what the heck did these renters do to the disc that gave it that kind of a scratch? Did they purposefully take a knife and scratch it? Even if they dropped it a couple of times or something, that's still not severe enough to ruin the coating.

·
Registered
521 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_karma24 /forum/post/17010349

Since my Blu-Ray collection is slowly growing, it's becoming a space issue

Another option is sleeves and trays. I started using DiscSox sleeves for pretty much all of my small-shiny-disc media several years ago. They give around a 4:1 space saving and the sleeves can hold most of the paper packaging and liner notes along with the discs. All of my DVDs and BDs go immediately into sleeves, unless they've got special packaging or too many discs in the case. One advantage over binders is that since each movie is sleeved separately you can still easily carry a handful to a friend's house or loan them out.

The downside is the price. That first big purchase to sleeve an entire large collection can be a bit of a shock.

I haven't [yet] seen any issues with the disc surface reacting to the liner. I used DVD sleeves for my BDs for about a year, then switched to the dedicated BD sleeves about 10 months ago, and finally got some of the newer two-pocket BD sleeves just recently. Each sleeve model has a different lining material and I haven't used any particular type long enough (for BDs) to be sure that there won't be any problems down the road.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts