AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
1,679 Posts
Sides? You mean horizontal?

Vertical storage is considered the best way to store discs since it's supposed to reduce risk of delamination. I've never come across any information of how much it helps though so I figure it's just a minimal factor compared to say tight case hubs, bad glue, badly adjusted DVD players etc.

· Registered
17,842 Posts
I'd say it's a risk only if the room they are in gets overly hot. Since the DVD is suspended on the hub, a hot disc (and that includes one that has just been played) may have the potential to sag over time and no longer be flat. In addition, the boxes are stronger vertically, especially snapper cases. A case with several other DVDs stacked on it may sag and warp the disc.

· Registered
1,529 Posts
Based on the fact that I have to bend some disks damn near in half to get them out of the case I doubt that all but storing them on a heat source is going to be a problem. The heat generated during playback should not come near hot enough to cause a problem.

· Registered
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by snowmoon
Based on the fact that I have to bend some disks damn near in half to get them out of the case I doubt that all but storing them on a heat source is going to be a problem. The heat generated during playback should not come near hot enough to cause a problem.
But I bet the language is pretty blistering!:D I could be wrong but the main advantages of vertical as opposed to horizontal are storage and cataloging. It's a lot easier to get a disc from a shelf than to get it from the bottom/middle of a very large pile:D :been there! Then put it back after you're finished. Chaos reigns!!

· Banned
45 Posts
Most of my colletion is vertical with 6 per tier flat per cabinet, I was once told if you lay a vcr tape on its side the tape unwinds and when put in a player the tape could snap when play is pressed. My VCR boxes are stored vertically, that's why some of my discs are flat, I try to keep all of my DVD/VCR collection cool and in the dark inside locked cabinets.

· Registered
30,364 Posts
With laserdiscs and record LPs, horizontal stacking is dangerous because the size of the discs and lack of protection from their cardboard sleeves will lead to warping. DVDs don't really have this problem, first because their size is much more compact, and second because the plastic keepcases offer enough support to protect them.

· Registered
263 Posts
I usually do mine alphabetically by height, and then from right-to-left in honor of the Hebrew language. Actually, I should just do left-to-right, upside down, in honor of dyslexic vampire bats.

Note: If you take the above comment seriously, you have much bigger problems than DVD storage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.