AVS Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came upon this album by researching Opeth at the recommendation of members here.
This is a collaboration by Akerfeldt and Wilson but never heard this album, so I'm wondering if any of you have this especially the BD version, and what you think of it. Thanks.
BTW I'm listening to Pale Communion by Opeth and it's a wonderful album, thanks for that "weekendtoy" :)

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I just came upon this album by researching Opeth at the recommendation of members here.
This is a collaboration by Akerfeldt and Wilson but never heard this album, so I'm wondering if any of you have this especially the BD version, and what you think of it. Thanks.
BTW I'm listening to Pale Communion by Opeth and it's a wonderful album, thanks for that "weekendtoy" :)
I've never heard Storm Corroison but am glad you are enjoying Pale Communion, especially since I pretty much guaranteed your satisfaction :)

I bet you you could drum up more info. over SH as there are quit a bit of Opeth fan boys there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Storm Corrosion is excellent. Very dark and almost spooky, but cool none the less. Very good in 5.1. Highly recommend it if you are a fan of SW or the most recent Opeth releases.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Timing is everything. It's $41 now :)
You can order it from one of the listed third party vendors. The first one listed that ships from the US is $8.03 plus $3.99 for shipping.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
On BluRay, this in an excellent (as usual for SW mix) multichannel recording with great dynamic range. It very much a 'sit an listen' type of record. Definitely not background music.
But cranked on a good (emphasis on good, this is demanding stuff) system, it is a very engaging experience.

The musical style is eclectic and appeals to those of us who've grown to like some of the edgier SW sound over the years.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Another great 5.1 disc is Gavin Harrison's (Porcupine Tree's drummer) new album, Cheating The Polygraph. The digibook version has a dvd w/DD & dts 5.1. It's several of his favorite Porcupine Tree songs rearranged for big band.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've ordered mine from Amazon, I was sampling some of the songs on youtube can't say I was blown away, but I got this for free from Amazon, as I just applied for their rewards Visa card and got $70 bucks to spend upon approval. The price was $10 shipped from England indeed. I'll report back what I think of it when I get it. Thanks for the inputs.

Also bought Opeth's Heritage with the surround [lossy] DVD. It's very good as well but Pale Communion is more cohesive as an album. It sounds very good in DTS 5.1.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Yes, Heritage and Pale Communion lack growls. :(

·
Registered
898 Posts
From my point of view, that is a good thing
Haha growls are an acquired taste. Mikael had some of the best death growls in the business and last I knew he didn't want to do anymore of the death metal bits and that's disappointing to many metalheads. The prog rock is great no doubt but the mix of death metal and prog rock was unique and now that's gone... :(

Damnation needs a 5.1 mix. I think I read there is a 5.1 mix they just never released it. :(

·
Registered
276 Posts
Haha growls are an acquired taste. Mikael had some of the best death growls in the business and last I knew he didn't want to do anymore of the death metal bits and that's disappointing to many metalheads. The prog rock is great no doubt but the mix of death metal and prog rock was unique and now that's gone... :(

Damnation needs a 5.1 mix. I think I read there is a 5.1 mix they just never released it. :(

He might return to death metal one day. He hasn't ruled it out.

Hopefully there will be a Deliverance/Damnation box-set some day with 5.1 mixes, like the double album originally intended.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts