AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently purchased a SONY STR DA 1800 ES receiver but will use it only for audio not for video. I have connected a number of audio components and, with GUI mode in the OFF position, see all relevant functions on the unit's display panel. Unfortunately, I do not see the Network settings on the menu when viewed on the display. The manual describes the wireless LAN setup procedure only as viewed on a TV screen. (The TV is in another room and cannot be readily moved or connected to. The room in which the receiver is located has no space for a TV). Is there any way I can connect wirelessly to my computer while following instructions on the receiver's display panel? Can anyone help?

·
Registered
295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry100  /t/1471351/str-da-1800-es-internet-hookup-without-a-connected-tv#post_23280052

I have recently purchased a SONY STR DA 1800 ES receiver but will use it only for audio not for video. I have connected a number of audio components and, with GUI mode in the OFF position, see all relevant functions on the unit's display panel. Unfortunately, I do not see the Network settings on the menu when viewed on the display. The manual describes the wireless LAN setup procedure only as viewed on a TV screen. (The TV is in another room and cannot be readily moved or connected to. The room in which the receiver is located has no space for a TV). Is there any way I can connect wirelessly to my computer while following instructions on the receiver's display panel? Can anyone help?

Yes there is but I doubt you'll be happy with the price, just search Wireless HDMI on Amazon and a bunch will show up, for what you need it for just go with the cheapest you can find. I have the Brite-View wireless HDMI and at the time I bought it it was the only one that passed 5.1, all of the others lose the surround, digital dolby and such.

Plan on about 150 bucks for the cheapest ones, however if your tv is withine 100 feet and you just need this for set-up one time, just get a long HDMI cable, I had a 100 footer in before I got the wireless and at 100' it is really pushing it and you get drop outs and such but it should be fine for setting up, I had also used a 50 foot cable to another room and that is still in place, works perfectly.

If you plan to leave it hooked up and have it be a main part of your system then I suggest 2 things, get a quality unit and you might want to get an EDID box, like the one from Gefen, pretty cheap and if fixes the EDID so when you take a RF hit you do not have to wait for a painfully long HDMI handshake. You put the EDID box on the TV side and it will keep telling everyone the EDID even when you get hits to the signal.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I buckled some time ago and bought a small TV. Of course, it works perfectly. Since I am using the TV only to connect the stereo with my computer, I had tried to avoid getting one. But it's done and I am happy. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts