Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,

Is there a place where I can look at the rearview of a Sony STR-DA4ES?

Also, I keep seeing references to it being THX certified to some extent, but I haven't seen anything about this in the specs I've looked at... it isn't, right?

Thanks!

Art

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I doubt you will ever see any Sony product truly THX certified. Not because they couldn't be, but won't. Sony has been trying to add a second reference to the world (you've probably seen some SDDS certified theaters around), so I get the feeling that they don't place nice with the folks at THX.

I've not found any online pics of the rear panel, so your best bet might be looking for a dealer in your area (that's what I ended up doing).

·
Registered
193 Posts
I just convinced mine that I needed it. Order just came in today and I am having a blast with it. One thing I was wondering, seeing as how I have never had a nice receiver before, what is the normal listening volume you guys listen music, and HT with?

I spent about 1 hour troubleshooting cuz nothing was coming from the speakers. I turned the volume up probably 4 clicks and still nothing, so I started checking wires, cables, etc......but low and behold I finally decide im gonna turn the volume up even more to see if I can hear anything. Well, that was the problem. It has such a wide frequency of volumes that the bottom like 20 were unheard to me.

Is this common, at what volume level should I start hearing a faint sound? It seems on mine at about -90dB I hear a faint sound, but right now I am like listening to the music around -40dB.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SevenVII
I just convinced mine that I needed it. Order just came in today and I am having a blast with it. One thing I was wondering, seeing as how I have never had a nice receiver before, what is the normal listening volume you guys listen music, and HT with?

I spent about 1 hour troubleshooting cuz nothing was coming from the speakers. I turned the volume up probably 4 clicks and still nothing, so I started checking wires, cables, etc......but low and behold I finally decide im gonna turn the volume up even more to see if I can hear anything. Well, that was the problem. It has such a wide frequency of volumes that the bottom like 20 were unheard to me.

Is this common, at what volume level should I start hearing a faint sound? It seems on mine at about -90dB I hear a faint sound, but right now I am like listening to the music around -40dB.
That's how it is for most receivers - the lowest levels will most likely go unheard. I listen to TV @-40db, but bump it up to ~-35dB for music. I don't hit reference until about -20dB, but that's damn loud and usually reserved for good movies.

Output is also largely dependant on the effeciency of your speakers - obviously the more efficient, the less power is needed to make them louder.

Hope this helps.

Chad

PS - Almost forgot, is the impedance switch on the back of the receiver set to 4 or 8 ohm?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Chum
That's how it is for most receivers - the lowest levels will most likely go unheard. I listen to TV @-40db, but bump it up to ~-35dB for music. I don't hit reference until about -20dB, but that's damn loud and usually reserved for good movies.

Output is also largely dependant on the effeciency of your speakers - obviously the more efficient, the less power is needed to make them louder.

Hope this helps.

Chad

PS - Almost forgot, is the impedance switch on the back of the receiver set to 4 or 8 ohm?
it varies for me. CD's have a higher db level, so generally around -40db on the receiver. Dolby Digital signal thru my cable box puts out a lower db, so I can crank it to about -30 to -35db on that. Movies I want anywhere from -30 to -35db. Just don't forget to adjust your speaker levels first

·
Registered
193 Posts
Quote:
Just don't forget to adjust your speaker levels first
I only have my front 2 speakers in right now...I set them just by ear though. When the others get in I will set them using the SPL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.