AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Gents,

I'm really torn between these two receivers. The sale price Crutchfield has on the 1200 ($580 with coupon) and the Amazon pre order price on the DN1000 ($423 including tax) , I can't see what I'm getting for $150 more on the 1200. FYI I have a PS3 and a Sammy 1080 plasma.

Also, the 1200 lists Faroudja upscaling from all video sources to 1080p. Does that mean if my FiOS DVR is sending out 1080i, I'll be watching TV in 1080p??

THANKS for the advice!!!

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
A couple of comments. First, you should be aware that upscaling only applies to analog video inputs and that if your TV is 1080p native resolution, it will automatically scale all non-1080p inputs to 1080p - and will likely perform this function better than either of these receivers. BTW, a picture of the front panel of the DN1000 indicates that it also uses a Faroudja chip for scaling. Second, a quick look at the back of the two receivers reveals that the DG1200 has more connectivity than the DN1000 - for example, more digital audio inputs, a digital audio output, a phono input, etc. The one other thing that I would consider in deciding is whether there's a significant weight difference between the two receivers since that would be an indicator, although inexact, of how big the amps are in each. FWIW, the DG1200 weighs in at 26 pounds but I haven't seen a weight for the DN1000. JMO

·
Registered
45 Posts
i bought the str dg1200 refurb from sonystyles.com back in January and I haven't had a Problem at all.. I got the 3 year extended warranty with it and the 24 month with no interest.. i know you didn't ask but i just threw all that out there lol..

I got the 1200 b/c of the GUI, and all the codecs it plays.. also it has 7.1. I did a lot, LOT of comparing when i bought mine and it was the BEST for the price range with the most features... And it's SONY!!

only thing i don't like is that when you're using hdmi Input and hit GUI it blacks out what you're watching and the GUI comes up.. But i've been told this is the way it was designed..

·
Registered
3,452 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahblake /forum/post/17028485

only thing i don't like is that when you're using hdmi Input and hit GUI it blacks out what you're watching and the GUI comes up.. But i've been told this is the way it was designed..

Not just the Sony but most (all?) AVRs at this price point are the same way.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts