AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking into purchasing a home theater setup and was wondering which one of these would be a better deal as well as a better setup.

Setup #1-

Sony 5.1 Channel Audio/Video Receiver (1080p)-STR-DG520 and Boston Acoustics Horizon Series MCS100MDNT 5.1-Channel Speaker System (Black)

I can get this setup for around $350.

Setup #2-

Denon A/V Receiver and 5.1 Speaker Package-DHT-589BA

I can get this for around $350 as well.

I am going to purchase this setup within the next day or so, let me know which setup you think is going to be better.

·
Registered
29,193 Posts
The Boston Speaker packages that come with each system are basically the same. So then you're just comparing the Sony 520 vs the Denon 589. For me the Denon wins hands down. Look at the back panel of the Sony. Cheap spring clips for speaker terminals. No 5.1 analog inputs. The back panel is pretty bare and it looks cheap!

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/...52921665360001

Click on rear panel layout under specifications.

Then look at the Denon back panel. Binding post for all speakers terminals. 5.1 analog inputs, 2 optical and 2 coaxial inputs, A set of "B" speaker terminals. Plus it has Audyssey Volume EQ which monitors the volume between TV and commercials. You wont have to turn down the volume when commercials come on. That's a big selling point right there!

http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/4391.asp#

Click on View More Images and look at the back panel.

Plus the fact that Sony's low end receivers have been known to be underpowered vs their claimed power ratings.

It'd be a no brainer for me. Get the Denon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/15540087

The Boston Speaker packages that come with each system are basically the same.

So are you saying that boston and denon are the same company? Or do they use the same speakers?

·
Registered
29,193 Posts
No, Boston and Denon are not the same company at all but if you look at the details of both packages, they both use Boston Acoustics speakers. Sometimes two companies will package a system together to sell at retail stores or online. Denon does not make speakers so in order to sell a package, they got Boston Acoustics to pair one of their satellite systems with their receiver.

The Sony setup uses the Boston MCS100 and the Denon package uses the Boston MCS90 satellite/sub system. The MCS 100 has satellites with 3" woofer and 3/4" tweer and a 100 watt 8" sub. The MCS 90 has satellites with a 3" woofer and 1/2" tweeter and a 100 watt 8" sub. Those two speaker systems are close enough that the selling point is which receiver do you want with it. And the Denon 589 is clearly better than the Sony 520 to me.

Look at the link on Amazon. The Product Description clearly states the Denon system is combined with a Boston Acoustic MCS 90 speaker package.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CSEZY6

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt /forum/post/15543633

No, Boston and Denon are not the same company at all but if you look at the details of both packages, they both use Boston Acoustics speakers. Sometimes two companies will package a system together to sell at retail stores or online. Denon does not make speakers so in order to sell a package, they got Boston Acoustics to pair one of their satellite systems with their receiver.

The Sony setup uses the Boston MCS100 and the Denon package uses the Boston MCS90 satellite/sub system. The MCS 100 has satellites with 3" woofer and 3/4" tweer and a 100 watt 8" sub. The MCS 90 has satellites with a 3" woofer and 1/2" tweeter and a 100 watt 8" sub. Those two speaker systems are close enough that the selling point is which receiver do you want with it. And the Denon 589 is clearly better than the Sony 520 to me.

Look at the link on Amazon. The Product Description clearly states the Denon system is combined with a Boston Acoustic MCS 90 speaker package.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CSEZY6

Haha, thanks clearly reading comprehension is beyond me. Thanks.

I really appreciate your help.

·
Registered
29,193 Posts
$200 for a 5.1 speaker system you can't really ask for much.

Other options are the Polk RM6750 and Energy Act6.

Don't know which of the three would be better though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts