AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted this in the DH820 official thread - received no response so thought I would try main - regarding Sony STR-DH820.

Just got this receiver - so far, very happy with it. Granted, just getting into home theatre after ditching my soundbar. There is one thing Im pretty confused on, hoping someone can give advice and shed some light on this. I have been all over the forums and Google as well, trying not to waste anyones time.

My room set up isn't ideal for surround sound (nor are my kids), so Im running three speakers (Pioneer SP-FS52 on left and right, SP-C22 for center) with a Pioneer sub as well - all hooked up to the receiver. I feel pretty overwhelmed with the sound field options available, not sure what I should be running given my set up. Ive gone through several options (NEO, Multi Stereo, HD-DCS, etc;) and its really just difficult me to figure out which one is best, because feel like I could be missing something from these modes since I am not running a 5.1/7.1 set up. I did do the autocalibration with the supplied microphone, and my speaker setup in the menu does reflect 3/0.1 Could somebody please shed some light on what mode they believe would be best for me to run in, and any additional tweaks I should make? Appreciate any help! Also, if you recommend a different receiver for what Im doing, by all means please suggest. Was sold this one by the employee at the store (he talked way over my head though, just went with his recommendation)

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
What are the settings that your speakers have?

What did the receiver set them at?

They 'Large' or 'Small'?

Whats the crossover set at?

What devices do you have hooked up to your receiver?

Did you read the manual to the receiver cover to cover?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The settings the speakers have? Not too sure what you mean.

Center Speaker: Pioneer SP-C22
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dual-4-center-channel-speaker/5086891.p?id=1218610015437&skuId=5086891&st=pioneer%20center%20channel&cp=1&lp=2

Left and Right: I would consider large speakers - 5 1/4.Pioneer SP-FS52
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/pioneer-5-1-4-floor-speaker-each/5086937.p?id=1218610014331&skuId=5086937

They are positioned 3-4 feet from eachother. These are the only 3 speakers Im running (running a Pioneer sub as well though).

As for devices, an XBox One, PS4, and DirectTV Genie sat box - all HDMI. I used the autocalibration feature with the mic for set up. I did make the settings for the number of speakers to 3/0.1 I am not running any rear/surround for the time being. As for crossover, if its an external your talking about Im not using one. Everything is just wired to the back - no bridge of anything either. Hope I gave you more information to help me out, appreciate it. I have read the manual cover to cover multiple times, it just doesnt go into much detail regarding the setup I am running (3.1). Thats the reason I was looking for some help in what I should adjust in regards to the receiver.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
The manual explains the many different audio modes, and then you choose what sounds best to you. As for settings I was referring to what receiver set you speakers too after you ran the auto calibration. Please go through the settings menu and tell us what it set them out. It's always good to have the speakers set up correctly first then fiddle with the sound settings further

Crossover I was referring is in the receivers menu.

I personally just used AFD Auto mode with my receiver and when a show was in surround it would automatically adjust to surround mode. Make sure all your devices are outputting surround audio Btws most are default in stereo

Might want to try HD DCS or NEO what ever sounds best to you though. With my receiver I would switch between them to find the setting that worked best for my videos

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, I'll get those settings and post them. Those modes sound pretty good, but I thought if I utilize those outside of the 5.1 or 7.1 set up, I'll lose the sound since Im only running 3.1. I'll get the settings and post them shortly, thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speaker Settings:

Front Left, Front Right:

0.0db, Distance 10ft 5in, Size Large

Center:

Level -2.0db, Distance 9ft 4 in, Size Large (going to try with small, the speaker is not that big)

Sub: Level -3.0db, Distance 15ft 6in.

Other Settings:

Calibration type: Engineer

Speaker Pattern 3/0.1

APM: Auto

SB Assign Off

Crossover Freq.: Center 120Hz (that was after I set the center speaker to small)

Audio Settings:

D.L.L. Auto 1

Sound Optimizer Off

Sound Field Multi St.

A/V. Syn 0ms

AutoVol Off

Dual Mono Main

D Range Comp Auto

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
In those modes all you are losing is the sound that Come from the surround speakers. The front speakers would have the same audio come out of them if you had surround speakers or not.

Change the crossover frequency to 80hz.

I would keep the towers as large for now

1 - 7 of 7 Posts