AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just got a STR-DH820 from amazon after a lightning burnt out my sony receiver. Anyway, this is my first time in an AV forum so please bare with me.

Firstly, here is my set up:

STR-DH820

2 JBL ND310 Tower speakers

JBL S-series center speaker

2 small sony rear speakers

1 10in jbl balboa subwoofer

My first question is the bi-amping option with the receiver. My tower speakers only have 1 set of terminal. Can i still bi-amp or bi-wire? I guess what Im trying to ask is, will i get better sound if I parallel wire the speakers to both speaker a and b in the receiver?

Im trying to make sense with this, please excuse me if i am not using the correct terminology.

Secondly, any suggesting on crossover settings?

Thank you

Isaac

·
Banned
2,582 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tito_isaac
Hello, I just got a STR-DH820 from amazon after a lightning burnt out my sony receiver. Anyway, this is my first time in an AV forum so please bare with me.

Firstly, here is my set up:

STR-DH820

2 JBL ND310 Tower speakers

JBL S-series center speaker

2 small sony rear speakers

1 10in jbl balboa subwoofer

My first question is the bi-amping option with the receiver. My tower speakers only have 1 set of terminal. Can i still bi-amp or bi-wire? I guess what Im trying to ask is, will i get better sound if I parallel wire the speakers to both speaker a and b in the receiver?

Im trying to make sense with this, please excuse me if i am not using the correct terminology.

Secondly, any suggesting on crossover settings?

Thank you

Isaac
Bi wiring and bi amping are two differnt things.

Bi wiring really is a waste of time. Reall all it amounts to is creatign thicher speaker wire and you can sdo that with thicker gauge wire and be done with it.

Bi amping is where your speaker will even allow for it by having two sets of jacks. One set for the woofer the other set for the tweeter.

Using a seperate amp for bass and another for treble. Some receivers do this most dont. You need a seperate crossover and amps.

For you speakers Im pretty sure there is only one Pos and Neg on the back so just hook them up with 16 gauge or thicker wire and enjoy. They are not going to sound any better or any worse with that sony receiver.

too many people are getttinghung up on bi wiring and its not making their system sound any better then if they just used a heavier gauge speaker wire in the 1st place!

Thats my 2cents on that subject any way!

·
Registered
81 Posts
see page 65 of the 820 manual. it tells you the steps for bi-amping your 820. i am assuming what you are trying to do is use a 2nd, separate amp, to drive a pair of speakers? this is usually what bi-amping is used for...

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tito_isaac /forum/post/20815739

Thank for the quick reply Vic, I am just trying to get the most of my system and this bi-amp option with my receiver is new to me.

As Vic notes, without a second set of terminals on your speakers, you can't bi-amp them. And even if they were bi-amp able, the bi-amp feature offered on AVRs serves no real benefit. Just connect them as you normally would.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I came across this thread because the TO also mentioned crossover settings, which he didn't seem to have an actual problem with, but probably he just didn't noticed, because there IS a huge problem with it.

After performing the auto calibration I doublechecked the results in the manual speaker settings. Here I noticed that the crossover frequency for all speaker didn't seem to be correct. They were all set to 120Hz, which probably is the factory default setting. With other AVRs, my speakers are normally configured to 80-100Hz.

I then set all crossover frequencies to the lowest possible value (40Hz) and performed another auto calibration. But the crossover frequencies remained unchanged at those 40Hz.

This would be a malfunction, because according to the instruction manual (the part where the manual crossover setting is described), the auto calibration should actually measure and configure the crossover frequencies.

I already performed a factory reset, which didn't help.

Is there anyone who can (positively or negatively) confirm that issue?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.