AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any rule of thumb on seat to screen distance and straight vs. curved seating?

I have a 130x55 scope screen at about 12.5 feet and have room for three seats. My room has a jog in the right side wall that cuts about 4 ft 6 inches off the room width 8 feet in front of the screen.

Trying to visualize both setups, playing with moving straight chairs around just do not see a big advantage in the curved layout.

Wondering if there is a rule of thumb; perhaps relating to the outer chairs position compared to the screen width for example.

SECOND QUESTION:

I have seen very few chair samples in looking around town and they tend to be very expensive models. Have most of you gone with something you have sat in or have you had luck buying based on pictures and forum feedback?

Thanks in advance.

·
Vendor
3,534 Posts
video_bit_bucket,

1. Functionally the curved configuration makes sense when you have a large (wide) room with 5 - 6 or more recliners in the row. This way you are placing every viewer at the same distance to the screen. Other than that the "straight" vs. the "curved" configuration should be purely based on your esthetical preference.

2. You do not have to buy very expensive HT seating to feel comfortable and have very nice looking seats in your theater. While some people have luck finding recliners locally to try before buying, many folks do not have that luxury and buy based on the forum member recommendations…

·
Registered
739 Posts
Yes, unless you are doing 4 or more seats, straight or curved does not make much of a difference in your setup of three seats aside from the aesthetics.

There are many manufacturers of home theater seating out there. There are advantages and disadvantages to almost all and some lines will fall within your budget while others will not. For example, most Coaster models have a good reputation for the budget-minded. Berkline has introduced a series of models made oversees (any model that starts with a '1') that are an excellent value for the money. Then there are manufacturers like Fortress, Elite, Jaymar and others that feature high quality detail but obviously do not fall into everyone's budget. A good reseller should be able to recommend something for your needs, height, budget, etc. Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts
I had ordered mine (Berkline 13175), sight unseen from Roman and received them on Wednesday. I did a bit of research before purchasing them and I am very satisfied with both their comfort and how they look.

I know that Ken is also a reputable seller on these forums.

CJ

·
Registered
942 Posts
I ordered four (4) 13175s from Roman and went with the curved configuration just for aesthetics. They not only look good, but are very comfy.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I ordered 4 12003's from Roman last week should be here tommorow. I went with curved primarly because of viewing angle. They are going to end up very nearly wall to wall, and by using the curved seating they will be looking at the center of the screen and not have their peripheral vision stairing at the wall.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I went with a curved confirg. also and really like the look. Be aware this config. will take up more room. I ordered mine, then made changes after the order was placed and ended up with one more chair then needed. I can add the loveseat but it would be tight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts