AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to get a new motherboard for my htpc since my new MyHD card will not work with the Abit BX6 rev.2 (3.3V issue). I am currently using a Celeron 600a overclocked to 900 and it is extremely stable. My only problem is that I don't know as much about hardware as I should. I know I won't have a problem installing a new motherboard (since I have done a few now) I just don't know which one to buy because of the following issues:

First, I have attached a pic of my current cpu, motherboard, heatsink, and fan so you can get a good idea of what I have. My concerns are as follows:

1. Can I use this Celeron 600 cpu with an ASUS CUSL2 motherboard?

2. I believe this current setup uses some kind of slot equipment to make this fcpga chip act like a slot 1. Is this proper syntax here?

3. Can I overclock the Celeron 600 to 900 using a cpu soft menu with an ASUS CUSL2 mobo?

4. I see on the specs of the CUSL2 it says that it supports Celerons up to 566+. Does this mean I can or cannot use this cpu with a CUSL2?

5. It appears that a TUSL2 is a step up from the CUSL2 and can handle just about any speed of celeron. Does the TUSL2 allow for overlocking?

Thanks for any help. I do appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
It looks like you do have a slocket. It is basically something you put in a slot 1 motherboard that a FCPGA socket chip fits onto.

For your new motherboard, you would no longer need the slocket. I believe the CUSL2 should support your current chip. Your overclocking is quite simple and is just changing the bus speed.

·
Registered
453 Posts
JP,

I'm probably in the same boat as you - my MyHD card is coming this week and I'm running a Celeron 1Ghz in an Abit BH6 motherboard. That board has lasted me from the Celeron 300a to the 566 to the 1Ghz, but I was hoping to get more mileage out of it, since it was more than enough to do the job. I am considering an Abit BD7 with a P4 1.6Ghz, since it can be easily overclocked to over 2Ghz and this machine is going to do both HDTV recording and conversion of my old analog tapes to VCD.

I notice you have a Golden Orb heatsink - doesn't it make a fairly high-pitched whine? I have one and I substituted a slower rpm 80mm case fan because it was too noisy.

Al

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cal: Thanks so much for your input. I think this was exactly what I was looking for. I am going to go for a CUSL2 or TUSL2 and probably stay with this cpu for a while.

Al: I would wait and see if the BH6 works first. I seem to remember someone saying that it did work for them. As for the Golden Orb it really isn't that loud at all. I haven't had much to compare it to but it doesn't seem excessive to me. At least my projector (NEC VT540) is much louder.

Thanks.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have received my MyHD card and confirmed that it does not boot in my Abit BH6 board. It does come up when I install it in an Abit KT7-RAID system, though. Time to go shopping.

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.